Texas Fishing Forum

Lake Ray Hubbard or Lake Lavon?

Posted By: CaptainBarkley

Lake Ray Hubbard or Lake Lavon? - 05/15/19 05:49 PM

I haven't posted on here in quite awhile. I moved to Missouri and now I'm coming back, this time with a pontoon. I am working to restore it into a fishing toon. That being said I fish primarily for crappie. I get the itch to fish whites, hybrids, and blues. Not a huge bass fisherman but do enjoy it as well. Hell, I enjoy all fishing. That being said I'll be moving to Rockwall and am having some trouble deciding a boat slip location. I have narrowed it down to Harbor Bay Marina on Ray Hub and East Fork, and Anchor Bay on Lavon. Does anyone have any experience on any of these marinas? Thank you all
Posted By: Sandblaster

Re: Lake Ray Hubbard or Lake Lavon? - 05/16/19 05:20 AM

I have my boat at Anchor Bay Marina on Lavon, its a little expensive but to me its the best marina on the entire lake. It has restrooms with a shower, a restaurant that has some good food, they sell ice, rent out boat lifts, and they have a small little shop where you can buy drinks and a few small boat accessories. Its also one of the cleanest marinas I've ever had my boat at. I use to have my boat on Ray Hubbard at Bayview Marina before it was bought out. Ray Hubbard is a good lake but I like Lavon better, seems like its a little easier to get out of the wind on a wind day, its a really good crappie lake and also very good for blue catfish and its a very easy lake to learn how to catch sandbass on. I hope some of this information helps you in making your decision.

Re: Lake Ray Hubbard or Lake Lavon? - 05/16/19 03:20 PM

Thanks Sandblaster! That helps out a lot. I am leaning towards Lavon but it's a 5 minute drive to Harbor Bay and about a 20-ish minute drive to Anchor Bay. Better than Truman and lake of Ozarks here now where I drive 1.5-2.5 hours. Any other input is appreciated.
Posted By: smove

Re: Lake Ray Hubbard or Lake Lavon? - 05/16/19 05:16 PM

I would suggest Ray Hubbard b/c if you ever need a fishing buddy, I'm only 10-15 minutes away.. grin grin
Posted By: glert42

Re: Lake Ray Hubbard or Lake Lavon? - 05/17/19 12:48 PM

Depends on if you like town or country. Both lakes are good fishing holes. I really like Lavon, but it is about an hour or so away from my house.

Tom

Re: Lake Ray Hubbard or Lake Lavon? - 05/17/19 01:22 PM

I think I am leaning towards Lavon. I like to fish all day in the summers since I'm a teacher and a coach. After practice I hit the lake. Lavon seems to have less boat traffic. Hubbard I'm guessing can get crowded. I prefer to fish standing timber as well and brush piles. My best fishing is shooting docks but the closest lake for that is Cedar Creek it looks like. I just worry about lake levels as East Fork is flooded out now and I've seen pictures where it has been on the ground due to drought in the past.
Posted By: txred0810

Re: Lake Ray Hubbard or Lake Lavon? - 05/17/19 02:32 PM

If fishing is your main interest then I would choose Lavon, especially if you are making afternoon trips most of the time. Hubbard gets overrun with recreational traffic. Lavon is a little easier to get out of the wind as mentioned above which will extend the number of days you are able to fish.
Posted By: KidKrappie

Re: Lake Ray Hubbard or Lake Lavon? - 05/17/19 03:26 PM

Ray Hubbard doesn't flood
Posted By: Sandblaster

Re: Lake Ray Hubbard or Lake Lavon? - 05/18/19 04:18 AM

I made a mistake for some reason I said I have my boat at Anchor Bay and I don't its at Colin Park Marina, not sure why I said Anchor Bay but Captain Barkley one more thing to mention if you keep your boat at Colin Park Marina on Lavon it doesn't matter if the lake is flooded or in a drought. Back in 2013 or 2014 Colin Park moved the marina out into deeper water so people could still get to and use there boats. Right now Lavon is 6.75 feet high and I can still get to my boat without any issues.
Posted By: Lazy Ike

Re: Lake Ray Hubbard or Lake Lavon? - 05/18/19 08:35 PM

fish Hi capt. Saw your posts you were close to some fine fishing in MO. ididnt live up there, but was born there. Spent many a summer there at The Rock & some on Bull shoals,Probably how I came down with addiction I have,lol My folks, uncles aunt, cousins all fished, great times. SOOO I might say I am partial to lavon, I know it good,but I will start fishin hubbard more. I know there some good b.p. s there etc. As far as marina's maybe pick bay view I here there are some crappieholics there and some slips are like 18 to20 fow, Any way iam close to both, give me a shout. Wew can sling em in boat together. Best of luck.

Re: Lake Ray Hubbard or Lake Lavon? - 05/20/19 01:13 PM

That's good to know Sandblaster! Thanks Ike for the input. Yeah fishing up in the Ozark area lakes is pretty good. The crappie are plentiful but I prefer fishing Texas waters. The crappie overall tend to be bigger for me. I'll look into bayview. Im going to do some marina walk throughs in about a week and a half and decide. I guess depends on price, up keep of the marina/safety, and how deep of water I can get a slip in.
© 2024 Texas Fishing Forum