Texas Fishing Forum

GLUING A 2 PIECE ROD TOGETHER??

Posted By: JCBfromTHF

GLUING A 2 PIECE ROD TOGETHER?? - 04/24/19 08:48 PM

I know that sounds pretty redneck but Im thinking about doing it.

I always use 1 piece rods unless its one of the long 10'+ rods but a few years ago I ran across a deal on some 2 piece spinning ultralights that I couldn't pass up. The rods are cheap but they serve their purpose very well. Its aggravating when the 2 sections become misaligned when casting though. When vertical jigging its a non-issue. I tried the good ole duct tape and while it keeps the 2 pieces from separating it does not prevent the twisting.

So my question is would it hurt to super glue these suckers together? Anyone here done that before? What glue would be best?

These rods are way under 6' in length so getting them in a rod box is not an issue even when glued together.
Posted By: sticknstring

Re: GLUING A 2 PIECE ROD TOGETHER?? - 04/24/19 08:55 PM

just a thought...if you have a roll of plumbers thread tape, I'd give that a go on the "inside" rod section before permanently gluing it.
2cents
Posted By: Jon

Re: GLUING A 2 PIECE ROD TOGETHER?? - 04/24/19 08:55 PM

I’ve done it and was happy with the results.
I can’t remember which glue I used.
Posted By: bullcrappie

Re: GLUING A 2 PIECE ROD TOGETHER?? - 04/24/19 09:13 PM

When I do find my self with a 2 piece other than the 10 ft long saltwater rods I always glue them together if I plan to keep them, they tend to come apart at really inconvenient times like when you hung and trying to break it loose and the top half of the rod slides down the line into the water or you are casting a light lure and the end flies off.. I also put a light coat around any ceramic tips or guides on every rod I buy . I cant remember the last time I lost a eyelet or tip (unless some one shut it in then truck door ) lol. The glues permanent but unless you need a pack rod its the only way to go.
Posted By: JCBfromTHF

Re: GLUING A 2 PIECE ROD TOGETHER?? - 04/24/19 11:24 PM

Ok I just glued one of them together. I used some Loctite Go2 Glue that I had already. Its water resistant, and shock resistant so should do well. Its worked well with everything else I have used it on in the past so why not graphite as well.

I will give it a torture test this weekend if I can get out on the water.
Posted By: MrRoachie

Re: GLUING A 2 PIECE ROD TOGETHER?? - 04/25/19 12:11 AM

I have used the tip repair stuff that you heat up and melt.
Posted By: Glenn54

Re: GLUING A 2 PIECE ROD TOGETHER?? - 04/25/19 12:28 AM

Great idea. If for some reason you ever want to take it apart, apply a little heat and you're in business.

Originally Posted by MrRoachie
I have used the tip repair stuff that you heat up and melt.
Posted By: 44 Diesel

Re: GLUING A 2 PIECE ROD TOGETHER?? - 04/25/19 12:30 AM

I always a hot glue gun
Posted By: hawghoover

Re: GLUING A 2 PIECE ROD TOGETHER?? - 04/26/19 12:39 PM

i always epoxy mine together.
Posted By: Rube G.

Re: GLUING A 2 PIECE ROD TOGETHER?? - 05/04/19 12:57 PM

The Best thing to use is Flex Coat rod building polymer. It will stay glued for the life of the rod or longer... Flex Coat will also bend with the rod without breaking the bond.
Posted By: Ranger 188

Re: GLUING A 2 PIECE ROD TOGETHER?? - 05/04/19 04:12 PM

Epoxy, no brainer.
© 2024 Texas Fishing Forum