Texas Fishing Forum

Night fishing

Posted By: Harleyrockstar

Night fishing - 04/24/19 02:10 PM

Hit up Lake Travis Monday night with 2 buddies and we landed some nice crappie. Caught about 60 with half being 9 inchers that were released. Fish were holding close to the bottom in 22-28 feet of water and were caught on a variety of colors of jigs from ATX lures, Bonehead tackle and even on the Lake Travis standby smoke glitter grub by YUM. Used 1/8 ounce jig heads and road runner jigheads on this trip, no minnows. Females are moving up and still holding eggs.
[Linked Image]
Posted By: sticknstring

Re: Night fishing - 04/24/19 08:47 PM

nice catch Rockstar! thanks for sharing
Posted By: pop r

Re: Night fishing - 04/24/19 09:19 PM

clap Great catch!
Posted By: banker-always fishing

Re: Night fishing - 04/24/19 09:36 PM

Nice fish. Love that lake! thumb
Posted By: Jig Man

Re: Night fishing - 04/24/19 09:36 PM

very nice..
Posted By: canyoncreek06

Re: Night fishing - 04/25/19 01:40 AM

Good stuff.

>E
Posted By: gar1970

Re: Night fishing - 04/25/19 02:05 AM

Love that night fishing!
Posted By: hungupfishin

Re: Night fishing - 04/25/19 01:29 PM

I'm really wanting to try this myself. Got my boat rigged and ready for night fishing. Are you submerging your own green light or just finding docks already lit? Any good docks in Sandy Creek or are you hitting upper or mid lake? I'm just 5 miles from Jones Bros. so that is my preferred launch.

Re: Night fishing - 04/25/19 01:41 PM

hungupfishin

PM sent
Posted By: Tmonjure

Re: Night fishing - 04/26/19 12:08 AM

Congrats rockon
Posted By: Pot licker

Re: Night fishing - 04/26/19 12:43 AM

Nice! thumb
Posted By: leanin post

Re: Night fishing - 04/26/19 03:12 PM

BAM!! strong work !!! I love using the Yum wooly beavertails in the fall..

what are some of your favorite bonehead baits, ive been thinking abt trying some.?
Posted By: JAlfred

Re: Night fishing - 05/23/19 06:20 PM

Great catch and the Lake Travis report is much appreciated. I just moved over to TFF from ABF and I recall that you were one of the few members there interested in crappie fishing. I recently moved to Lago Vista from the Volente area and have not yet located the crappie up here. My trips up the Pedernales and Cow Creek this spring for spawning crappie were disappointing. Hope to find some up this way when the wind settles down. Night time sounds like the right time.

Re: Night fishing - 05/23/19 09:29 PM

Originally Posted by leanin post

what are some of your favorite bonehead baits, ive been thinking abt trying some.?

Leanin post I like the brush gliders and slim sticks from Bonehead and the baby shad and wicked shad from ATX lures. Sorry about the late response.Just came across this today!

Re: Night fishing - 05/23/19 09:30 PM

Jalfred night time on Travis is definitely best. I struggle to catch more than 2 or 3 crappie on Travis during daylight hours.
Posted By: Lazy Ike

Re: Night fishing - 05/23/19 11:28 PM

Originally Posted by Harleyrockstar
Originally Posted by leanin post

Leanin post I like the brush gliders and slim sticks from Bonehead and the baby shad and wicked shad from ATX lures. Sorry about the late response.Just came across this today!

YOU WILL LIKE B.H. baits.Been using about 4yrs . Pretty durable, I like profile of brush gliders,good in dirty /stained water
Posted By: JAlfred

Re: Night fishing - 05/25/19 03:49 PM

Originally Posted by Harleyrockstar
Jalfred night time on Travis is definitely best. I struggle to catch more than 2 or 3 crappie on Travis during daylight hours.

You nailed it. Went out yesterday (Friday 24 May) on Lake Travis between Lago Vista and the Pedernales for about 3 hours mid-day after catching a few minnows with my umbrella net. Managed to catch 3, 2 of which were keepers. Doesn't sound like much, but this is a big improvement compared to several trips prior. One of the 2 still had a few eggs left. Fish were about 10 feet deep in 25 feet of water. Water temp was 81 degrees. Wind was howling out of the southeast. Crappie for lunch today.
© 2024 Texas Fishing Forum