Texas Fishing Forum

Timpson today...did not go as planned

Posted By: Jacob

Timpson today...did not go as planned - 03/21/19 09:43 PM

The plan for today was to show up at 7:30am and catch 50 spawning crappie in shallow water by 8am, eat a second breakfast on the way home and take a nap. grin Well, that didn’t pan out. Within the first 5 minutes I had caught a small male on jig/bobber. We thought we were on the right track. Did not catch another fish for an hour. Water temp was 62° and rising. Went and tried brush piles in 14-16 FOW. Caught only a couple on 3 piles. Things were not going well. Went into a small cove and caught 3 short crappie in a little ditch in the mouth of the cove. Frustrated, we went back to the first spot we caught the shallow male.

BOOM! Dang, it was a yellow bass. Then a crappie. Then another yellow bass, then another small crappie. Then for about 2 hours, we went back and forth across the sanev100 yard stretch and caught yellow bass nonstop. After throwing 15 or so back, I told my father in law that I’ve heard they were good to eat. Then we started keeping them. Wound up with 32 yellow bass, 3 bluegill, and 2 crappie.

[Linked Image]
Posted By: Pot licker

Re: Timpson today...did not go as planned - 03/21/19 11:09 PM

Awesome! thumb
Posted By: Skunked Again Fishing

Re: Timpson today...did not go as planned - 03/21/19 11:33 PM

Great! How do you know a yellow bass from a white bass? the yellow belly?
Tim

Re: Timpson today...did not go as planned - 03/21/19 11:57 PM

From TPWD:

Although yellow bass are sometimes confused with white bass or young striped bass, there are several distinguishing characteristics. First, the belly may take on a yellow color, from which the species derives its common name. Second, unlike other temperate bass, the two lowermost stripes are distinctively broken just posterior to the middle. Also, the second and third anal spines are approximately equal in length
Posted By: BigDozer66

Re: Timpson today...did not go as planned - 03/22/19 01:42 PM

Well I guess you missed Thirdsey's then since you didn't get 2nd breakfast! roflmao
Posted By: Jhicksmedic

Re: Timpson today...did not go as planned - 03/22/19 02:15 PM

Nice! Fished half day on out 90 acre lake from the bank. Tried all the usual hot spots. Not a single crappie yet.
Posted By: Ranger-188-2007

Re: Timpson today...did not go as planned - 03/22/19 09:54 PM

Don't worry Jacob, they taste as good as crappie!

Re: Timpson today...did not go as planned - 03/22/19 11:42 PM

Originally Posted by Ranger-188-2007
Don't worry Jacob, they taste as good as crappie!

Just tasted some! Just like crappie! Never throwing another one back!
Posted By: jsinn01

Re: Timpson today...did not go as planned - 03/23/19 02:24 AM

They are great eating. The texture of a white bass with the flavor of a crappie.
Posted By: banker-always fishing

Re: Timpson today...did not go as planned - 03/23/19 02:26 AM

Nice Haul! thumb
Posted By: Mike@972

Re: Timpson today...did not go as planned - 03/23/19 05:40 AM

I'm glad you had a bad day of crappie fishing... I hope you have a worse day next time you go out thumb
© 2024 Texas Fishing Forum