Texas Fishing Forum

Has spring sprung?

Posted By: TroyKing

Has spring sprung? - 02/12/19 01:05 PM

Last year everything seemed a month late... This year it seems a month early...we have trees with blooms and others with leaves already....not to mention all the little pinkish white flowers on the ground..the eggs in some of the fish seem extra full and loose to....what do yall think? hmmm
Posted By: Jig Man

Re: Has spring sprung? - 02/12/19 01:18 PM

Still a ways to go in west Texas... thumb
Posted By: KidKrappie

Re: Has spring sprung? - 02/12/19 02:32 PM

It's still right on schedule in DFW. Next week looks cold. Should be some fish move up here by the end of the month.
Posted By: Buff2

Re: Has spring sprung? - 02/12/19 04:42 PM

I thought they were going shallow here but this last cold snap pushed them back into the 20' deep channel.
We need 5 or 6 days of sun shine
Posted By: bush hog

Re: Has spring sprung? - 02/12/19 05:37 PM

Spring will be on March 24,25 and 26th. Summer will start on the 27th. peep
Posted By: TroyKing

Re: Has spring sprung? - 02/12/19 05:41 PM

Originally Posted by bush hog
Spring will be on March 24,25 and 26th. Summer will start on the 27th. peep

Wisdom of the elders right there. flehan
Posted By: erittmueller

Re: Has spring sprung? - 02/12/19 06:18 PM

Not close especially with the massive cold front coming next Monday/Tuesday, sleet and snow predicted in DFW.

Eric
Posted By: Ken Gaby

Re: Has spring sprung? - 02/12/19 10:11 PM

Troy, noticed the same thing here. Was wondering also about when some fish might move up. Usually go looking in late Feb but don't expect to find too much. This year, I'm going to look a little harder and longer. However, with a cold front every 2-3 days and lows in the low 30s, I doubt there will be many homesteaders.
Posted By: leanin post

Re: Has spring sprung? - 02/13/19 01:12 AM

BLUEBONNETS AND WRENS!!! thats my story and im sticking to it.!!! roflmao

CONFUCIOUS SAY... SPAWN IS A PROCESS.. NO AN EVENT.!
Posted By: MrRoachie

Re: Has spring sprung? - 02/13/19 03:43 AM

Heard they were in 18" before the last cold snap.

Warm days wont warm the water like longer days with more sunlight.
Posted By: crapicat

Re: Has spring sprung? - 02/13/19 11:53 AM

Originally Posted by TroyKing
Last year everything seemed a month late... This year it seems a month early...we have trees with blooms and others with leaves already....not to mention all the little pinkish white flowers on the ground..the eggs in some of the fish seem extra full and loose to....what do yall think? hmmm

I don’t know Troy...not much winter weather so far this year...of course I have been hanging out wearing shorts during the mid-day in the Soronan desert most of January, so I can’t specifically speak for here at my house. I am wearing shorts right now, though. Also, many of my plants are showing green growth, indicative of a mild winter.

Interestingly, I have always managed to find crappie moving up in shallow water during February (I prefer to fish shallow water) that are full of eggs, in various stages of development. I do start looking in deeper water and move shallow during February, instead of the other way around, which is reserved for March/April. Guess I need to take some time and see if I can take some fish out of 3 foot depths.
Posted By: Mckinneycrappiecatcher

Re: Has spring sprung? - 02/13/19 07:06 PM

We’re right on schedule in DFW, everything is dead, eggs aren’t ready, still pretty cold. About on schedule for them to spawn in a about 6 weeks.
Posted By: Big Possum

Re: Has spring sprung? - 02/13/19 08:56 PM

We would always watch for the mesquite trees to bud.

I had an old crappie fishing partner. When we got blanked he would lick his fingers, scratch his boys, and say "bout 2 weeks to early".

R.I.P. Jack Golding.
Posted By: Nerodia

Re: Has spring sprung? - 02/13/19 09:02 PM

Originally Posted by leanin post

Couple years back we loaded up on big spawner white crappie in about a foot of water, down on Choke Canyon. The date was May 6! Many females were still carrying eggs. It’s amazing how long the spawn can last.
Posted By: KidKrappie

Re: Has spring sprung? - 02/13/19 09:05 PM

Originally Posted by Nerodia

Couple years back we loaded up on big spawner white crappie in about a foot of water, down on Choke Canyon. The date was May 6! Many females were still carrying eggs. It’s amazing how long the spawn can last.

It really is.. I have caught them spawning as early as now to as late as early June. They spawn at all parts of the lake during that time and are spawning through that time in certain parts of the lake.
Posted By: CHAMPION FISH

Re: Has spring sprung? - 02/14/19 12:02 AM

Waiting on an early Easter.
Posted By: crapicat

Re: Has spring sprung? - 02/16/19 06:46 PM

Hey leaning post...rounded the curve near the house...saw no less than a couple hundred on the ground
and in the air...just can’t seem to find any bluebonnets yet! I got to go see if I can find some crappie though.

Hey, you seen or heard from DW lately?
© 2024 Texas Fishing Forum