Texas Fishing Forum

Brushpiles

Posted By: sbakerac

Brushpiles - 02/05/19 04:46 PM

What rope is best for sinking brushpiles? Want to make sure the bricks stay attached to my Christmas trees.....
Posted By: Sirjet

Re: Brushpiles - 02/05/19 05:34 PM

Bailing wire is best. IMO
Posted By: KidKrappie

Re: Brushpiles - 02/05/19 05:42 PM

Anything Nylon will work. Be careful with any other kind of rope or wire as they will corrode. Nylon has been the best I have found and it is easier to work with than wire. JMO
Posted By: Mo

Re: Brushpiles - 02/05/19 05:45 PM

We tend to use copper wire , something like 12/3 romex and strip out the individual wires,

If I were going to use anything else it would be paracord

MO
Posted By: Cast

Re: Brushpiles - 02/05/19 06:23 PM

I wouldn’t use copper wire. I used awg10 copper to hang Martin gourds. The wire gave out in a month. Can’t stand the motion and the wire fails. Paracord was my first thought.
Posted By: KEGracing

Re: Brushpiles - 02/05/19 06:59 PM

The cost of copper wire would stop me! LOL

Paracord is good, and underwater it will not get the UV damage as quickly.

Another good solution is plastic wire ties. Can buy big packages of them at hardware stores and price is not bad. Add as many as needed for length, strong, easy to work with and last a long time under water.

Good luck.
Ken
Posted By: Jon

Re: Brushpiles - 02/05/19 08:02 PM

Me and Dr. Bill aka the forgotten WillieFindum, over the years learned that cable ties underwater will give out in a year or 2. At least in the corrosive waters of lake Ray Hubbard. Tried black and also white cable ties and it didn't matter they still gave way and broke after a year or 2. That may not be the case in other waters.
I always thought nylon was impervious to everything till i learned different on some leaking icemaker tubing that cracked all to hell.
Carbon steel wire will eventually rust through and break due to current movement.

Next, we went to stripping Romex but eventually wound up just buying 500' rolls of AWG THHN solid copper wire with black insulation. I think we settled on size 14 but could have been 12 ga. Color doesnt matter but we used black to disguise the location of the ones we hung in boat slips. Cost is a relative thing and it got to where our time to fool with it and the benefit of being able to pull off the exact length we needed outweighed the time and waste involved with stripping romex.
The insulated kind seemed a little easier to manipulate and pull tight with the pliers than bare copper ground wire for some reason.

There's a million ways to do it, that's just what we settled on over the years.
Posted By: cobia_254_cc

Re: Brushpiles - 02/06/19 12:29 PM

Copper should work good.

But stainless wire should work too.

https://m.tackledirect.com/malinlea...Jk42n4AIV0cDACh0v-QTuEAQYDiABEgKGkPD_BwE
Posted By: Beltonbanger�

Re: Brushpiles - 02/06/19 03:44 PM

I've used every piece of junk I could find in the garage for years. Now I use galvanized baling wire. The aluminum wire breaks if you twist it too much. Most of the time, the wire will far outlast your brush pile. When the lake was real low, I went out looking at my brush above water. some were broke down to just a small pile. Most still had the wire around them after years. I'm just glad to see you guys putting out brush. The ones that don't are the ones fishing your brush.
Posted By: sbakerac

Re: Brushpiles - 02/06/19 04:37 PM

Thanks everyone!!!!!!
Posted By: Slewfoot

Re: Brushpiles - 02/06/19 06:01 PM

10ga galvanized ceiling wire from Lowes in 100ft roll or mule tape.
Posted By: JohnButte

Re: Brushpiles - 02/06/19 06:16 PM

Nylon rope.
Posted By: bullcrappie

Re: Brushpiles - 02/09/19 02:53 AM

wire for electric fence has worked great for me it doesn't rust or rot'
Posted By: Spiderman

Re: Brushpiles - 02/09/19 03:08 AM

I like paracord, tough stuff.
Posted By: HV Lurenut

Re: Brushpiles - 02/10/19 03:27 AM

24"- 36" zip cords work great for me. Place one through the block making a loop. Then loop another throug it and around bottom branch. Takes just a minute and seams to last just fine.
Posted By: HV Lurenut

Re: Brushpiles - 02/10/19 03:28 AM

24"- 36" zip cords work great for me. Place one through the block making a loop. Then loop another throug it and around bottom branch. Takes just a minute and seams to last just fine.
Posted By: Jig Man

Re: Brushpiles - 02/10/19 02:21 PM

Originally Posted by fishin'aholic2
Anything Nylon will work. Be careful with any other kind of rope or wire as they will corrode. Nylon has been the best I have found and it is easier to work with than wire. JMO

And it will last as long as the brush will...zip ties are handy too but more expensive.
© 2024 Texas Fishing Forum