Texas Fishing Forum

Fishing at the dam year round?

Posted By: spooncg

Fishing at the dam year round? - 02/05/19 01:24 AM

Does anyone have success catching crappie year round at the dam? I started fishing a lake last year in the late spring and did well for crappie, but wasn’t sure how well I would do the other times of the year, just a little deeper out.
The lake isn’t that big, less than 1,000 acres.

So do you guys have success year round fishing different depths at the dam, or should I try to locate the crappie somewhere else?
Posted By: Mckinneycrappiecatcher

Re: Fishing at the dam year round? - 02/05/19 02:55 AM

Really depends how deep it is
Posted By: spooncg

Re: Fishing at the dam year round? - 02/05/19 03:29 AM

Deepest part of the lake is about 26’ which is near the dam. Not a very deep lake, and only has about 2 docks which are in very poor shape.
Posted By: crapicat

Re: Fishing at the dam year round? - 02/19/19 11:47 PM

That small of a lake should be easy to fish the entire lake without too much effort...you can catch crappie year round at one of the lakes I fish, so I don’t see why not.
Posted By: leanin post

Re: Fishing at the dam year round? - 02/21/19 01:44 AM

the orientation and size of the rocks have alot to do with it. if baitfish can swim in and out of the rocks, and algea tends to grow on the rocks, it ups the probability of baitfish and gamefish hanging around the dam. sometimes the dam area is the deepest part of a lake, and in winter shad will either go deep or very shallow. lots of variables to consider. just find the baitfish, and the crappie will be close by.
© 2024 Texas Fishing Forum