Texas Fishing Forum

When they make the move

Posted By: LakeTylerMan

When they make the move - 01/29/19 05:58 AM

I live on Lake Tyler and in February of last year the Crappie made the move to shallow water quickly. I fished a bit almost every day from my dock in January into February to determine when they moved. From nothing in January it started about the second week in Feb, going from one or two to catching 20 or more in an afternoon. Water depth under the front of my dock is about 10' of water. So I will report progress as to when that happens this year.
Posted By: gar1970

Re: When they make the move - 01/29/19 06:47 AM

thumb
Posted By: Jig Man

Re: When they make the move - 01/29/19 01:12 PM

peep
Posted By: KidKrappie

Re: When they make the move - 01/29/19 06:44 PM

From the looks of the forecast they will start moving more shallow by the end of next week. 4-5 warm days and nights coming up.
Posted By: Double Row

Re: When they make the move - 01/29/19 10:35 PM

Tuned in for the update, THANKS!
Posted By: Harleyrockstar

Re: When they make the move - 01/29/19 11:29 PM

Thanks for the upcoming reports in advance. Have fun!
Posted By: encKe

Re: When they make the move - 01/30/19 06:00 PM

all ears here
Posted By: ACAMS

Re: When they make the move - 01/30/19 11:07 PM

Last year on Palestine they went in real quick and didn't stage like they usually do.
My favorite time is when they move in and stage an area before the spawn and are everywhere in that area.

Re: When they make the move - 02/01/19 01:15 AM

Nothing to report yet. They are not yet shallow.
Posted By: crappiecat1

Re: When they make the move - 02/01/19 11:09 PM

awesome
Posted By: Lake Life

Re: When they make the move - 02/20/19 06:34 PM

Are you seeing any movement yet?

Re: When they make the move - 02/21/19 03:40 AM

They have not moved shallow around my dock yet. A neighbor tells me I reported the move to him on Feb 21st of last year. So that time of the month is upon us so I suspect it will happen any day. I fish a bit almost every day and have not caught a crappie yet.
Posted By: NitroGlistenin

Re: When they make the move - 02/22/19 09:03 PM

I know this is supposed to be an exciting time of anticipation but I can't ever seem to find them shallow on Ray Roberts. But it sure ain't for lack of trying. bang I'll be back at it again soon though. This may be my year!!
Posted By: Mckinneycrappiecatcher

Re: When they make the move - 02/23/19 12:52 AM

Tyler is must be a smaller lake and a little further south so it’ll probably warm up a little faster. Lake temps are still in the 40s in N Texas so we’re quite a ways out.
Posted By: CrappieXpress

Re: When they make the move - 02/23/19 02:04 AM

Originally Posted by NitroGlistenin
I know this is supposed to be an exciting time of anticipation but I can't ever seem to find them shallow on Ray Roberts. But it sure ain't for lack of trying. bang I'll be back at it again soon though. This may be my year!!

Agreed.......The spring spawn in March is my least favorite time to fish...... fish never seem to be in the same place two days in a row. April-June is much more predictable
Posted By: wtxbasskiller

Re: When they make the move - 03/07/19 02:21 PM

Any update? Should be quite a bit warmer starting today.

Im headed to Palestine next week and was just curious. Thanks
Posted By: Lake Life

Re: When they make the move - 04/19/19 01:13 PM

Any update on Lake Tyler?

Re: When they make the move - 04/20/19 11:08 AM

Update:

This has been an atypical year on Lake Tyler for me. The fish never came in in late February and most of March. Overall March was much poorer than the same time last year. And now even April is slow. I have caught a few from my dock and in shallow water close to the bank. A friend and I finally did cobble together about 30 Wednesday from my boathouse and along the bank. Of the 30 or so most were female and few if any had spawned. So though I did see some fish on beds even in March, the bulk of the fish have not spawned. So I'd think the action will get better through the end of April with a late spawn.

This last frontal system clearly knocked the activity down. Action went from being reasonably good to very poor in about 24 hours. It needs to get warm and stay warm.
© 2024 Texas Fishing Forum