Texas Fishing Forum

Engle Minnow Buckets

Posted By: Crappie Ford Man

Engle Minnow Buckets - 01/04/19 07:20 PM

I need a system that will be a good investment for keeping minnows alive, particularly in warmer weather months. Does anyone out there own an Engle and if so, do you believe your purchase was a good one considering cost versus dead minnows and frustration? Thanks.
Posted By: keystonecatfish

Re: Engle Minnow Buckets - 01/04/19 07:55 PM

I have one it it works great. I do not regret spending that much money on a bail cooler.
Posted By: UJC

Re: Engle Minnow Buckets - 01/04/19 08:23 PM

Engel coolers are very effective. Most crappie tournament teams have them for a reason. I have the 13qt Engel for space consideration and water weight/toting. I see more of the 19qut Engels than the 13qt but I can easily keep 1+lbs. The new ones have the net basket included. They are available at the Allen Cabela's.
Posted By: Slewfoot

Re: Engle Minnow Buckets - 01/04/19 08:25 PM

I think they're great! My buddy has the Engel bait cooler. My BIL game me a 13qt Engel cooler for Christmas one year so I drilled a hole in the side and stuck an $8 mr bubbles bubbler on it and it works great. We use the 30qt one to bring our fish to weight in and it keeps them alive as well.
Posted By: Ken Gaby

Re: Engle Minnow Buckets - 01/05/19 01:39 AM

The Engel cooler works all year. Been using one for about 6 yrs. Can keep a lb of minnows alive in the summer. Looks like they may have improved the pump that comes with the unit. The pump that came with them back when we bought one went out for most of us in about 6 months. Got the Frabill 12 volt/2 Dcell battery pump and haven't looked back. Nice to have a pump you can plug into the 12 volt system and not worry about batteries.

Cabelas has the Frabill Aqua-Life Magnum on sale for $41.88. 16.25 qt with aerator and insulated. Should work just fine. I've used a Styrofoam insulated bucket before in the summer and never had problems. The Frabill lid is not insulated would be the only potential problem. But a few cubes of ice will solve that problem.
I have a Frabill as the back up to the Engel. And a Mr Bubbles pump for back up.
Posted By: slabcrazy

Re: Engle Minnow Buckets - 01/06/19 06:13 AM

you may want to look at the Magellan at academy they are very similar and do the same thing. I bought one and have been very happy with it.
Posted By: David Welcher

Re: Engle Minnow Buckets - 01/06/19 01:33 PM

I have one of the Engles, but I like the cool bubbles one better that academy sells. Main thing though is when you go get minnows take your empty bucket in there and they will add water that is the correct temp to your bucket. Your minnows will last much longer.
Posted By: river-rat

Re: Engle Minnow Buckets - 01/07/19 12:29 PM

The Engle works great I have 2, well worth the money
Posted By: Mo

Re: Engle Minnow Buckets - 01/07/19 06:47 PM

I wired in a dual air pump into my console , one line goes in livewell , the other line goes in a 5 gallon bucket. No problem keeping minnows and
fish alive in summertime.

MO
Posted By: Crappie Ford Man

Re: Engle Minnow Buckets - 01/08/19 08:08 PM

Thanks for all the good info on this topic. I'm going to pick up an Engle real soon for my next trip!
Posted By: Black Horse

Re: Engle Minnow Buckets - 01/09/19 02:01 AM

I got quite a discount on the Engel thru Austin Canoe and Kayak. Might check them out.
Posted By: mallardman02

Re: Engle Minnow Buckets - 01/09/19 11:30 PM

Originally Posted by Black Horse
I got quite a discount on the Engel thru Austin Canoe and Kayak. Might check them out.

Just ordered one from them 68 bucks for the 19 qt with tax and free shipping. Thanks
Posted By: JIM SR.

Re: Engle Minnow Buckets - 01/10/19 02:23 PM

I run a 12volt air bubbler off my trolling motor battery...I run one air line to the minnow bucket and one to the live well.
Keeps minnows for days.... hooked
© 2024 Texas Fishing Forum