Texas Fishing Forum

Crappie Condo Question

Posted By: adp925

Crappie Condo Question - 11/23/18 10:46 PM

I'm about to put out my first PVC condos I've ever made. If get them in a good location, how long do veteran crappie skaters figure it will take for fish to take up residence?
Posted By: MrRoachie

Re: Crappie Condo Question - 11/23/18 10:53 PM

2 to 4 hours
Posted By: TennTaz

Re: Crappie Condo Question - 11/24/18 12:18 AM

Pictures of your condo. I am collecting materials to build a few myself. Any one know where I can get some bamboo? I live on Lake Tawakoni. Thanks
Posted By: easttx crappie guy

Re: Crappie Condo Question - 11/24/18 01:24 AM

If in a good spot not long,this time of the year depending on the lake it might take longer.........I use bamboo alot,it works great for me.
Posted By: SLABXPRESS

Re: Crappie Condo Question - 11/24/18 02:16 AM

I always add at least some brush to my pvc condos. Natural stuff attracts the baitfish quicker, then the pvc gives them the cover.
A lot of folks will say hardwood is best, which it true, but... pvc will last your lifetime. Try the combo, and you'll be pleasantly surprised.
This time of year, the time it takes to draw fish will be a bit more "iffy" because most crappie are on the move to winter areas.
Your best bet is putting stuff out post spawn if you're hoping for fish to get on it quick, but the best time is really whenever you can.
I like to put stuff out in the winter and then catch fish off it during pre and post spawn. A month or two almost guarantees that crappie will find it and use it. The extra time also allows a bit algae to grow on it, which really make a big difference on holding baitfish.
I'm not saying you can't do it now with success. Every lake is different. I'm just going by the 100+ I've put out over the years.
Good luck!

Re: Crappie Condo Question - 11/24/18 03:59 AM

Can you show us pictures of you condos? I am looking to put a few out this winter and see what happens in the spring and summer.
Posted By: adp925

Re: Crappie Condo Question - 11/24/18 01:30 PM

They were stolen last night. I hooked up my truck to the pontoon and had the condos sitting next to it so my son in law could help me load them. Apparently the hooked up boat attracted a thieving rat...

Thankfully the pontoon was unloaded for cleaning.

I'll not post the rest of what is going through my mind right now... realmad

Re: Crappie Condo Question - 11/24/18 08:16 PM

WOW sorry to hear that.
Posted By: JIM SR.

Re: Crappie Condo Question - 11/25/18 12:31 AM

That is as low as it gets,...c'mon man,....ya don't steal a guys condos right out of his yard. That takes some big balls...!

hung
Posted By: Fishbonz

Re: Crappie Condo Question - 11/26/18 03:07 PM

Originally Posted by JIM SR.
That is as low as it gets,...c'mon man,....ya don't steal a guys condos right out of his yard. That takes some big balls...!

hung

Find em & cut their thumbs off.This should be a LAW.
Posted By: Gamblinman

Re: Crappie Condo Question - 11/26/18 03:37 PM

The crappie condo copping caper.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=sKGtb1t9iVw
Posted By: Mo

Re: Crappie Condo Question - 11/26/18 03:40 PM

That is just too low,

the thieves should send you the numbers to "their " new condo location , but I doubt that will happen.

MO
Posted By: hawghoover

Re: Crappie Condo Question - 11/27/18 11:32 AM

here is a few i put out. have many more but cant find the pic's [Linked Image]
[Linked Image]
[Linked Image]
[Linked Image]
Posted By: donothin

Re: Crappie Condo Question - 11/27/18 06:35 PM

you guys inspired me to order 5 of the porcupine fish attractors this morning.
Posted By: I FISH 4

Re: Crappie Condo Question - 11/28/18 02:19 PM

PM us and we will send photos of the ones we put in pines, 270 in 27 location. lol we cut 5400 pic of pipe do that. don't want to do that again any time soon.
Posted By: BSanders

Re: Crappie Condo Question - 11/28/18 05:12 PM

Time to make me some!!
Posted By: Jezreel

Re: Crappie Condo Question - 11/29/18 04:20 AM

Okey Doke. . . I’ve gotta ask a question. It’s a serious question, and I’ve wanted to ask it for a while. I’ve heard various answers. Here it is. . . “Is it legal to put out Man Made Fish Attractors in public lakes?”

If it’s legal, I’m ready to get started. If it is not, do ya have to go out in the dark of night to deploy them? I am led to believe it is legal by how openly it is discussed here on the TFF.

Sorry for this question, but as the crook responded to Dirty Harry. . . I gots to know!

Re: Crappie Condo Question - 11/29/18 01:07 PM

NO!!!! you got to get permission on ALL Cor Lake and most other Lakes.
Posted By: SLABXPRESS

Re: Crappie Condo Question - 11/29/18 02:32 PM

Originally Posted by Jezreel
Okey Doke. . . I’ve gotta ask a question. It’s a serious question, and I’ve wanted to ask it for a while. I’ve heard various answers. Here it is. . . “Is it legal to put out Man Made Fish Attractors in public lakes?”

If it’s legal, I’m ready to get started. If it is not, do ya have to go out in the dark of night to deploy them? I am led to believe it is legal by how openly it is discussed here on the TFF.

Sorry for this question, but as the crook responded to Dirty Harry. . . I gots to know!

It is definitely NOT legal in most situations, especially Corp lakes.
Every lake has some government entity that controls it. You would need to check with each one of those on each lake to be sure.
All that being said, I would say MOST crappie guys (and Game Wardens alike) see the benefit outweighing the technical lawbreaking of it. "IF" it's done right (enough weight and in the right places), the vast majority of brush piles and condos will have nothing but a positive impact on the lake and fishery they go into.
And yes, many folks will covertly drop them at night, early morning, or late evening to avoid being seen.
My 2cents ....

Re: Crappie Condo Question - 11/30/18 01:22 AM

We just meet with Wright Patman Lake Corps Engineers to entry in to a Partnership to put Fish Attractors, now just have to see if they will do it.
They will be just like the 270 made and put in Lake O' the Pines in 2017 Nov, Dec and Jan 2018, we have taken more than 700 crappie off them.
Posted By: Jezreel

Re: Crappie Condo Question - 11/30/18 02:45 AM

Well. . . That clears that up. Thanks for straight answers. It was just a bit confusing, as the topic of building and deploying them is so prevalent on the forum.

Thanks folks!
© 2024 Texas Fishing Forum