Texas Fishing Forum

Bumping Trees

Posted By: Sirjet

Bumping Trees - 10/26/18 08:22 PM

my Question is. Does it affect the area when you bump the structure with your boat? Does it scare the fish off.
Posted By: KidKrappie

Re: Bumping Trees - 10/26/18 09:19 PM

I used to think it did but I have hit some trees hard and caught fish off of them still. Dont think it makes a big difference.
Posted By: JIM SR.

Re: Bumping Trees - 10/26/18 10:05 PM

was watching Brushpile Fishing the other day when they bumped some trees, he said that " they'll be back, just circle back in a few minutes... fish
Posted By: serj5150

Re: Bumping Trees - 10/26/18 10:40 PM

I have done the same as Kid Krappie and I just think it depends on how hungry they are...If you do hit it just give them some time and they will get right back in the swing of things. thumb
Posted By: Gamblinman

Re: Bumping Trees - 10/27/18 09:38 AM

I relate it to trophy bass fishing. Big rogue bass can be exceptionally spooky. Bump the tree, or cause a boat shadow over there area and they move off. Big crappie can be the same way. One of the reasons crappie fisherman fishing timber, or spider riggers use long poles. I find fishing just outside the intended target has landed me larger crappie, and as I move in a steadier bite of smaller crappie.
Posted By: Fishbonz

Re: Bumping Trees - 10/27/18 06:01 PM

Originally Posted By: Gamblinman
I relate it to trophy bass fishing. Big rogue bass can be exceptionally spooky. Bump the tree, or cause a boat shadow over there area and they move off. Big crappie can be the same way. One of the reasons crappie fisherman fishing timber, or spider riggers use long poles. I find fishing just outside the intended target has landed me larger crappie, and as I move in a steadier bite of smaller crappie.
For the most part you R Right but, IMHO,I think a lot depends on the depth of the h20 , height of the tree in that h20 you are fishing & the depth the fish (Crappie) are holding @ in respect to that tree you bump. 2cents
Posted By: Ken Gaby

Re: Bumping Trees - 10/28/18 01:30 AM

Bumping a tree doesn't matter; UNTILL IT DOES.
I do my best to not bump any trees.

Re: Bumping Trees - 10/29/18 02:38 PM

Thanks Guys. I now feel a little smarter. And Plan on not bumping but will use mt new found knowledge to make thing happen.
Posted By: MikeSwain48

Re: Bumping Trees - 11/01/18 03:06 AM

I know it's kind of a different experiment, but over the last 2 summer's I have counted crappie catches at my dock and I can't twice as many crappie when the kids are jumping in the water and splashing literally 5 ft away from my slip. Not sure if the splash excites them? Its wild
Posted By: MikeSwain48

Re: Bumping Trees - 11/01/18 03:06 AM

*catch
Posted By: Gamblinman

Re: Bumping Trees - 11/01/18 10:18 PM

Originally Posted By: MikeSwain48
I know it's kind of a different experiment, but over the last 2 summer's I have counted crappie catches at my dock and I can't twice as many crappie when the kids are jumping in the water and splashing literally 5 ft away from my slip. Not sure if the splash excites them? Its wild

Years ago, dad would keep a pail full of fine rocks that he would throw into the water to simulate fish feeding. It worked especially well at night when crappie were feeding shallow.
Posted By: SLABXPRESS

Re: Bumping Trees - 11/02/18 02:33 AM

I prefer not to, but I will still fish a tree even if I've bumped it getting in there. Sometimes you still get bit and even pick up a good un. Sometimes nada. hammer
Posted By: shut-up-and-fish

Re: Bumping Trees - 11/02/18 12:54 PM

Think of it like this. Before electronics we would always tie up to the tree. We would bang and clang, talk loud and have a great time filling the live well. There have been times when fishing a tree the bite will stop. I have grabbed the tree and shook it or smack it a few times with something hard and get a few more fish to bite before moving to the next one.
Posted By: Ken Gaby

Re: Bumping Trees - 11/03/18 01:26 AM

David, with that live scope, you can answer this in a few weeks. You'll know what's there before you pull up. See what the fish do after you bump the tree a couple times. Give us a report; would be interesting to know.
Also, if there's a difference in the fish reaction based on the size of the fish.
Posted By: shut-up-and-fish

Re: Bumping Trees - 11/03/18 02:06 AM

Originally Posted By: Ken Gaby
David, with that live scope, you can answer this in a few weeks. You'll know what's there before you pull up. See what the fish do after you bump the tree a couple times. Give us a report; would be interesting to know.
Also, if there's a difference in the fish reaction based on the size of the fish.

Yes, sir, I will try and do this tomorrow. Hitting Bridgeport in hopes to get out of the wind and put the LiveScope through some different paces.
Posted By: gborg

Re: Bumping Trees - 11/04/18 01:26 PM

We have been catching some good fish in 18 fow on slabs in between oil island and rattlesnake.
Posted By: Worm jerker

Re: Bumping Trees - 11/05/18 02:19 PM

Went to bridgeport yesterday tough fishing water high and a little stained,2 cats,2 yellow bass ,1 crappie . A beautiful day on the water though.
Posted By: Kylefield

Re: Bumping Trees - 11/11/18 03:44 PM

I have caught many a crappie when my fishing buddy gets hung in a brush pile and starts yanking on the jig. I've also caught many a crappie bumping my jig on limbs. My opinion is that big motor noise tends to push them off more than anything.
Posted By: etexbasser

Re: Bumping Trees - 11/12/18 03:16 PM

There is a guy on youtube, called the old fisherman, I think his name Comalander, but he keeps a stick or pole in his boat and when the bite slows down, he bangs the bottom of his boat with the stick and starts to catch fish again. However, he is fishing very deep water and clear water up in the Caroina’s I think. I’ve only seen his video’s a few times but I found that interesting. He fishes for crappie and strippers.
Posted By: j.steve

Re: Bumping Trees - 11/19/18 04:29 AM

Does anyone remember perch jerkin as a kid, in water that was clear enough to see them a good ways down? Ever watch them when a loud noise is made or when something is dropped in the water? They would scatter and then come back to the same spots almost immediately. I've seen crappie do the same thing looking down on them from a pier. I never worry about an occasional bump scaring em off.

Re: Bumping Trees - 11/19/18 03:34 PM

The original Question was "does it affect them & scare them off". The answer is YES!! HOW LONG does it affect them & scare them off? That IS ANOTHER QUESTION !!

Re: Bumping Trees - 11/19/18 05:30 PM

OK. Well I do plan on bumping them a little on my new Kayak. LOL

Re: Bumping Trees - 11/19/18 06:36 PM

Originally Posted by Sirjet
OK. Well I do plan on bumping them a little on my new Kayak. LOL

soldier
© 2024 Texas Fishing Forum