Texas Fishing Forum

Strange day on lake of the pines

Posted By: Buff2

Strange day on lake of the pines - 07/15/18 09:02 PM

I have had a couple of pretty poor trips this week on brush piles. I decided to fish standing timber but after 2 hours I only had 3 fish .

I figured as hot as it was the fish should be deep so I started easing through the stumps headed across a big shallow flat to another creek bed.
Anyone who has been on LOP knows it is a dangerous place to run a boat so since I was just idling along I had my side scan running.
I came across a long rock pile in 6 foot of water. It came within 2 foot of the surface and would be a heck of a boat killer if you hit it.

I noticed it was covered up with fish on the down wind side. I figured it was catfish but decided to pitch a jig up on it anyway.

Pretty much every cast was either a catfish or slab crappie. For the next 2 hours I caught 20 crappie and threw back 30 catfish.

The wind was stacking the baby shad up against the pile and every time one washed over the top it got hammered.

I would have never thought to look for crappie in 2’ of water in the middle of summer
Posted By: Txmedic033

Re: Strange day on lake of the pines - 07/16/18 03:14 AM

There are a few giant rock piles in the middle of the standing timber that I am aware of and I don't share those spots with anyone. Try running a crank bait over the rocks and watch what shows up.
Posted By: MrRoachie

Re: Strange day on lake of the pines - 07/16/18 03:22 AM

One of those rock piles is in the middle of the boat lane that our goobermint made and marked.

Posted By: canyoncreek06

Re: Strange day on lake of the pines - 07/17/18 01:51 AM

Good stuff, Marty.

>E
Posted By: Pintail711

Re: Strange day on lake of the pines - 07/17/18 04:09 AM

Yep, LOP fishes weird sometimes. I caught them on a brush pile in 10’ for 3 days straight last week. The wind was blowing the bait in there just right and they would jerk the rod out of your hand almost.
Posted By: Pot licker

Re: Strange day on lake of the pines - 07/17/18 02:40 PM

thumb
Posted By: KidKrappie

Re: Strange day on lake of the pines - 07/17/18 03:37 PM

A lot of times in the summer, the thermocline will force the fish shallow.
Posted By: timbertoes

Re: Strange day on lake of the pines - 07/17/18 07:59 PM

Originally Posted By: fishin'aholic2
A lot of times in the summer, the thermocline will force the fish shallow.

can you make a quick explanation please ?
© 2024 Texas Fishing Forum