Texas Fishing Forum

Finesse is the game right now.

Posted By: ERNEST PATY

Finesse is the game right now. - 07/13/18 12:39 AM

Lewisville is red hot right now but you need to use the right technique. We have been averaging 20 fish per hour using 1/16 oz jig heads with #6 hooks and 1.25" baits. (Small slab bandits) The lake is full of large schools of 1" shad and the fish are feeding on them. Their bellies are stuffed with the tiny shad.

Many fish coming in less than 10' water.
Posted By: bush hog

Re: Finesse is the game right now. - 07/13/18 02:33 AM

Yes sir Mr. Ernest, I've dropped to a 1/32 oz. for shooting docks and having to work it real slow. Might have to shoot the same spot several times before enticing a bite.
Posted By: leanin post

Re: Finesse is the game right now. - 07/13/18 03:13 AM

Originally Posted By: ERNEST PATY
Lewisville is red hot right now but you need to use the right technique. We have been averaging 20 fish per hour using 1/16 oz jig heads with #6 hooks and 1.25" baits. (Small slab bandits) The lake is full of large schools of 1" shad and the fish are feeding on them. Their bellies are stuffed with the tiny shad.

exactly what ive noticed the pattern to be as well.
Posted By: Fishbonz

Re: Finesse is the game right now. - 07/13/18 02:22 PM

Hey Earnest I guess you just said the H--L with Fishbonz.
Posted By: Captain Yakker

Re: Finesse is the game right now. - 07/13/18 10:26 PM

Thank you Ernest for that info. Wife and I were fishing under the toll bridge today in our kayaks and only managed one small sandie each. Saw a lot of fish on the sonar next to the pilings, but could not get them to bite. Fighting the wind and waves was also wearing us down so we stopped around 2. I will downsize baits tomorrow and see if that helps. I’ve been using 1/8 oz with Bobby Garland baby shad. Had just a few thumps today, but not able to get a hook set. Have you noticed any color preference?
Posted By: serj5150

Re: Finesse is the game right now. - 07/14/18 01:00 PM

Originally Posted By: Captain Yakker
Thank you Ernest for that info. Wife and I were fishing under the toll bridge today in our kayaks and only managed one small sandie each. Saw a lot of fish on the sonar next to the pilings, but could not get them to bite. Fighting the wind and waves was also wearing us down so we stopped around 2. I will downsize baits tomorrow and see if that helps. I’ve been using 1/8 oz with Bobby Garland baby shad. Had just a few thumps today, but not able to get a hook set. Have you noticed any color preference?

Don't feel bad Captain I have been fishing the toll bridge a few times and the first time I cleaned up on the crappie,sandies, and hybrids heck even some catfish but the next time the bite was indeed tough. They are definitely there but just aren't feeding as much. But when they do it's game on!! banana

Re: Finesse is the game right now. - 07/14/18 01:42 PM

Originally Posted By: serj5150
Originally Posted By: Captain Yakker

Don't feel bad Captain I have been fishing the toll bridge a few times and the first time I cleaned up on the crappie,sandies, and hybrids heck even some catfish but the next time the bite was indeed tough. They are definitely there but just aren't feeding as much. But when they do it's game on!! banana

Thanks for letting me know. Kind of limited in the amount of water I can cover in a single outing. Wishing I hadn’t sold my bass boat a few years ago on days like yesterday. I did note that the barometric pressure was down in the red area as far as fishing goes. But the solunar tables showed yesterday should have been good with moon directly overhead in early afternoon. Will see what happens today with downsized jigs like Ernest suggested.
Posted By: chascat

Re: Finesse is the game right now. - 07/14/18 02:03 PM

Thanks. I need all the help I can get.
Posted By: CrazyCrappieGuy

Re: Finesse is the game right now. - 07/14/18 03:19 PM

If you gonna catch a fish, you got to think like a fish. grin
Posted By: ERNEST PATY

Re: Finesse is the game right now. - 07/14/18 08:20 PM

Guy and I fished this morning until 11:00 AM. The bite was off compared to last few days but we still managed to land 50 or so with about 15 nice keepers. 1/16 oz jigs worked best but had to fish 1/8 oz most of the time because of the wind. Still had the best luck on 1.25" slab bandit, White or Chart.

Very soft bite. If you haven't fished a lot lately you probably would not even know you got bit.
Posted By: DavisGuideService

Re: Finesse is the game right now. - 07/15/18 01:13 AM

Guy and I fished this morning until 11:00 AM. The bite was off compared to last few days but we still managed to land 50 or so with about 15 nice keepers. 1/16 oz jigs worked best but had to fish 1/8 oz most of the time because of the wind. Still had the best luck on 1.25" slab bandit, White or Chart.

Very soft bite. If you haven't fished a lot lately you probably would not even know you got bit.

your are Right about small baits and Light bites! Fish a in huge schools on cover in my neck of the woods, It takes some persuading but when they get fired up its a lot of fun!
Posted By: shut-up-and-fish

Re: Finesse is the game right now. - 07/16/18 01:07 AM

Yes, sir, I rounded up a two-man limit this morning in some backwaters in my yak. Lake X - 5' of water with a 1/16th oz hand-tied black/chart pink head. I was pitching the bait out and bouncing it on the bottom back to the yak and they would smack it like they were mad at the world. 7' rod worked the best. My 8' and 10' rod not so much. 7am - 2pm
The fish were not relating to structure. Nothing there to hold to. I talked to a friend and he made a good point. Maybe they were relating to the school/each other.
Largest was 1.45 and all other fish were 1.1/4 on average.

The just of my added story to this post is to not be afraid to DOWNSIZE bait, rod, and depth.

Posted By: shady_grady

Re: Finesse is the game right now. - 07/16/18 02:06 AM

i agree downsize everything but sonar.like that helix 9 on your yak. bow_down

Re: Finesse is the game right now. - 07/16/18 03:04 AM

Originally Posted By: shady_grady
i agree downsize everything but sonar.like that helix 9 on your yak.

thumb
Posted By: KidKrappie

Re: Finesse is the game right now. - 07/16/18 02:30 PM

Had to do the same thing on Thursday. Once I did I put a limit in the boat in short order off of 2 spots. 1/16th oz solid chart feather jig was hard to beat on brush in 15-23 ft.

Re: Finesse is the game right now. - 07/16/18 04:46 PM

Originally Posted By: shut-up-and-fish

Yes, sir, I rounded up a two-man limit this morning in some backwaters in my yak. Lake X - 5' of water with a 1/16th oz hand-tied black/chart pink head. I was pitching the bait out and bouncing it on the bottom back to the yak and they would smack it like they were mad at the world. 7' rod worked the best. My 8' and 10' rod not so much. 7am - 2pm
The fish were not relating to structure. Nothing there to hold to. I talked to a friend and he made a good point. Maybe they were relating to the school/each other.
Largest was 1.45 and all other fish were 1.1/4 on average.

The just of my added story to this post is to not be afraid to DOWNSIZE bait, rod, and depth.

Great info. We were staying under the bridge to keep ourselves cool. I see you have a PA12. I fish in a PA14. Are you running the Helix Mega on your yak? If so, what does it need in terms of battery capacity?

Re: Finesse is the game right now. - 07/16/18 11:14 PM

Yes, It is a PA 12 with a Helix 9 SI/GPS combo 1st generation non-mega. I have a couple of the Nocqua batteries and have not had any issues with them. One usually lasts me 8 hours +.

https://nocqua.com/

12V BATTERY
$49.99 – $99.99

Add an extra battery to your rig and extend your runtime during every adventure! A water-resistant, silicone skin encases the battery which is enclosed in a durable nylon sleeve. A thumb screw creates a water seal to protect the electrical connection and easily fastens to all NOCQUA gear.

For lighting applications, the Pro Series systems use the 4.4Ah battery and the Sports Edition uses the 2.2Ah battery; however, the batteries are compatible with both systems.
Posted By: KidKrappie

Re: Finesse is the game right now. - 07/17/18 02:13 PM

I need to get over and give lake X a try. Some good fish in that system.

Re: Finesse is the game right now. - 07/18/18 03:34 AM

Originally Posted By: shut-up-and-fish

Yes, It is a PA 12 with a Helix 9 SI/GPS combo 1st generation non-mega. I have a couple of the Nocqua batteries and have not had any issues with them. One usually lasts me 8 hours +.

https://nocqua.com/

12V BATTERY
$49.99 – $99.99

Add an extra battery to your rig and extend your runtime during every adventure! A water-resistant, silicone skin encases the battery which is enclosed in a durable nylon sleeve. A thumb screw creates a water seal to protect the electrical connection and easily fastens to all NOCQUA gear.

For lighting applications, the Pro Series systems use the 4.4Ah battery and the Sports Edition uses the 2.2Ah battery; however, the batteries are compatible with both systems.

I’m thinking of going with those batteries for the weight reduction if nothing else. Thought you might be running the mega, which needs a bit more juice if I heard correctly.
© 2024 Texas Fishing Forum