Texas Fishing Forum

Brushing out a boat slip

Posted By: onfirecrappie

Brushing out a boat slip - 07/02/18 03:48 AM

I have a boat slip and have lots of brush but it still isn’t producing as well as some of the other slips. There is no boat in our slip and I feel the slip isn’t producing as well as it could be because of a lack of shade. What are y’all a ideas on creating shade? I was thinking maybe a tarp and bungee cords. Any other ideas out there? Also, what is your favorite type of tree to use for brushing?
Posted By: crapicat

Re: Brushing out a boat slip - 07/02/18 04:07 AM

Cedar, willow, bois d arc...and plastic chairs...I would ask Ernest Paty that very question!
Posted By: Mckinneycrappiecatcher

Re: Brushing out a boat slip - 07/02/18 01:10 PM

Stick to hard wood as far as brush goes, oak, pecan, and bois darc. Willow is good but usually doesn’t last long. As long as you have thick brush I wouldn’t think the shade would be an issue. What kind of brush was used the first time?
Posted By: Lazy Ike

Re: Brushing out a boat slip - 07/02/18 01:13 PM

iam thnking willows,you may not lose as many jigs, or PVC wont ever deteriate.Buddy of mine has slip at lavon,been fishing there forever,bout 2 months ago he gets word from new c.o.e. guy all materials [covers] in slips have to be gone by 6/1. SO HE WAS NOT HAPPY. FYI.
Posted By: KidKrappie

Re: Brushing out a boat slip - 07/02/18 01:32 PM

If they will let you put a tarp at the end of the slip that will help with the shade. As for brush, I like willows or bamboo. It doesn't last but 2 years or so but it will produce well and you rarely lose jigs.
Posted By: marschall

Re: Brushing out a boat slip - 07/03/18 11:50 AM

We use only bamboo and it is good for a year . Always good for us .
Posted By: JohnButte

Re: Brushing out a boat slip - 07/03/18 04:56 PM

Anybody ever use crepe myrtles?
Posted By: KidKrappie

Re: Brushing out a boat slip - 07/03/18 05:36 PM

They would hold fish but I think they would be super easy to hang up in
© 2024 Texas Fishing Forum