Texas Fishing Forum

Best

Posted By: Mac817

Best - 06/05/18 02:53 AM

Where do you guys and gals prefer your best fish finder? Trolling motor or console and why?
Posted By: SK.

Re: Best - 06/05/18 04:44 AM

Both....
Cause if I'm at the console I can't see my TM unit and if i'm at the tm I can't see the console unit cheers

Re: Best - 06/05/18 12:17 PM

Thanks SK. Years ago we had flashers on the consoles and paper charts. The flashers were instant read and used for high speed navigation of the waterway. Just wondering if some people have the same setup. Less detail for navigation and more for fishing. I spend more time on the trolling motor so that's where I want my best electronics. Could change my mind though. cheers
Posted By: Gamblinman

Re: Best - 06/05/18 12:18 PM

Console. I run a split screen GPS/side/down scan here.

At the bow, I run a split screen with GPS/2d sonar. Sometimes I run downscan on top of the 2D.
Posted By: Abbott (MCM Tackle)

Re: Best - 06/05/18 12:21 PM

both depends on what you are doing at that time.
Posted By: JIM SR.

Re: Best - 06/05/18 12:34 PM

Originally Posted By: Gamblinman
Console. I run a split screen GPS/side/down scan here.

At the bow, I run a split screen with GPS/2d sonar. Sometimes I run downscan on top of the 2D.

I have the same, kinda setup, I have two FF on console, I run one on GPS with Lakemaster chip for waypoints, the second has a split screen DI and SI, once I find where I want to go on these, I'll zero in with my front FF sonar with my remote control (while sitting at console) I have around my neck by watching the front,....bingo-bango---spotloc !
Posted By: Ken Gaby

Re: Best - 06/05/18 01:58 PM

Most people search for structure (SI) and approach known structure with the big motor. Therefore, I want SI/GPS at the console. Once close to structure, the TM is used to make final set up. That's why I like DI/2d/GPS on the bow. Saying which one of those two units is the best depends on the use. If you want navigation while on plane, have the console unit with two transducers connected with y-cable. One ducer for SI and the other ducer thru hull for depth while on plane.
Best unit for most people is the one with the biggest screen for better detail of structure. Of course, big screen = big price. I wouldn't want anything less than a 9" screen at the console. 10-12" screens are better.
Posted By: DFW-fisherman

Re: Best - 06/05/18 02:29 PM

What Ken said!
Posted By: SK.

Re: Best - 06/05/18 06:49 PM

I like SI at both console and TM.... There's a lot of small structure next to big structure and SI helps get on it....
I'll usually run split screen on the console maps and SI and 2D and SI on the TM.....

Re: Best - 06/06/18 02:15 AM

Wow, wealth of information here! Thanks too each and every one of you. I have some pondering to do now. Hope y'all have success year round. thumb
Posted By: Mckinneycrappiecatcher

Re: Best - 06/06/18 02:53 AM

Side scan on the console, DI on the TM
Posted By: sticknstring

Re: Best - 06/06/18 03:45 PM

everything i got on the console-where i spend most of my time when I'm cruising to locate structure or fish.
sonar on the transducer
Posted By: Spiderman

Re: Best - 06/06/18 09:19 PM

Side imaging Transducer on the trolling motor for me. I spend more time trolling than on the big motor. Following main lake creeks and locating cover near creek channels.
© 2024 Texas Fishing Forum