Texas Fishing Forum

buying minnows has gotten out of hand

Posted By: markchat

buying minnows has gotten out of hand - 06/01/18 08:23 PM

So I take the wife out to Lewisville today and stopped by Jacks for two dozen minnows. (wife likes them) Paid $3.50 per dozen and they gave me exactly 24 minnows. 3 of which were dead before we left the lot. Then i look at the receipt and they charged me .75 for "oxygen + bag" To make matters worse, she never caught a fish and ended up switching over to jigs. We did manage to catch a nice mess before the heat won.
Posted By: JCBfromTHF

Re: buying minnows has gotten out of hand - 06/01/18 08:53 PM

Next time take your minner bucket in with you and save $.75. grin
Posted By: Jig Man

Re: buying minnows has gotten out of hand - 06/01/18 09:02 PM

Yep, they lost me a long time ago. Only time I use them any more is at night. And only enough to get started and can ketch some with the net...
Posted By: Mckinneycrappiecatcher

Re: buying minnows has gotten out of hand - 06/01/18 09:14 PM

1/4” mesh cast net and you’ll never buy another minnow again.
Posted By: JIM SR.

Re: buying minnows has gotten out of hand - 06/01/18 11:19 PM

60 years ago grandpa got minnows at 3 dozen for a dollar,...those were for the grownups.
Us kids had to catch ours with nets, what a pain. Now at Fork they are $7.75 a pound. !!
hooked
Posted By: SK.

Re: buying minnows has gotten out of hand - 06/02/18 12:48 AM

I gotta easy solution for that nonsense... roflmao
Posted By: Pintail711

Re: buying minnows has gotten out of hand - 06/02/18 12:53 AM

$4.50 a 1/4lb here
Posted By: bush hog

Re: buying minnows has gotten out of hand - 06/02/18 01:37 AM

What's a minnow? hmmm
Posted By: PaPa@fork

Re: buying minnows has gotten out of hand - 06/02/18 01:51 AM

Sounds like I need to get into the minnow business partyon $$$
Posted By: cactusrat

Re: buying minnows has gotten out of hand - 06/02/18 02:11 AM

Originally Posted By: bush hog
What's a minnow? hmmm

Them things that you pay good money for and die when you forget them in the sun. hammer
Posted By: crapicat

Re: buying minnows has gotten out of hand - 06/02/18 02:13 AM

What's a minnow? hmmm

Not real sure...Tbox sell minnows, only they are the plastic kind...about $4 a dozen, of course one will catch a dozen fish...so 4 bucks will catch you roughly 12 dozen fish...pretty good deal, even if I do say so myself...and I ain’t even gonna mention Laners baits....the good news, is you don’t have to worry about keeping them alive or giving them away!
Posted By: CrappieXpress

Re: buying minnows has gotten out of hand - 06/02/18 02:21 AM

Originally Posted By: crapicat
What's a minnow? hmmm

Not real sure...Tbox sell minnows, only they are the plastic kind...about $4 a dozen, of course one will catch a dozen fish...so 4 bucks will catch you roughly 12 dozen fish...pretty good deal, even if I do say so myself...and I ain’t even gonna mention Laners baits....the good news, is you don’t have to worry about keeping them alive or giving them away!

I was wondering when you were going to chime in on this one!!
Posted By: crapicat

Re: buying minnows has gotten out of hand - 06/02/18 02:45 AM

Originally Posted By: CrappieXpress
Originally Posted By: crapicat
What's a minnow? hmmm

I was wondering when you were going to chime in on this one!!

Yea, well I was waitin on you to get into the nibbles are better than chasing minnows around a bucket story! Then I was gonna spring on BOTH thoughts at the same time... roflmao
Posted By: CrappieXpress

Re: buying minnows has gotten out of hand - 06/02/18 03:03 AM

Well there is one thing I can assure you and it’s that picking up a jar full of nibbles one at a time off of the boat deck after spilling them (which I somehow managed to do twice last weekend) isn’t any better than chasing minners around a bucket. bang
Posted By: Ken Gaby

Re: buying minnows has gotten out of hand - 06/02/18 03:10 AM

Originally Posted By: JIM SR.
60 years ago grandpa got minnows at 3 dozen for a dollar,...those were for the grownups.
Us kids had to catch ours with nets, what a pain. Now at Fork they are $7.75 a pound. !!
hooked

Was wondering where minnows are $7.75 lb? That's a good price.
Posted By: NekidTackle

Re: buying minnows has gotten out of hand - 06/02/18 03:56 AM

Try the Beer Barn in Lake Dallas off Hundly. $3.00 a dozen, never lost 1 unless in the minner bucket at my slip for a week.
Posted By: Mckinneycrappiecatcher

Re: buying minnows has gotten out of hand - 06/02/18 04:10 AM

I will admit there are times when jigs just don’t work, and minnows are necessary if you want to have a good day on the lake. Above all, fresh caught minners will outfish the store bought ones 4:1. Sounds like I need to get a bait vendors license at $3/dozen. If I buy them it’s usually about $13-17/lb which works out to about $1.50/dozen.
Posted By: JIM SR.

Re: buying minnows has gotten out of hand - 06/02/18 07:46 PM

Sorry that was $7.75 for a half pound at Minnow Bucket.
hooked
Posted By: Coach Hark

Re: buying minnows has gotten out of hand - 06/03/18 12:09 AM

Minnows?
© 2024 Texas Fishing Forum