Texas Fishing Forum

Dock shooting rod

Posted By: Gildner7

Dock shooting rod - 05/23/18 04:12 PM

I am looking to buy a rod for dock shooting. What does everyone use and like - give me the pros and cons for rods used. Last rod I had was a pflueger 6 ft and it snapped.
Posted By: TroyKing

Re: Dock shooting rod - 05/23/18 04:30 PM

What were you doing with it at the moment it snapped?
Posted By: Ken Gaby

Re: Dock shooting rod - 05/23/18 04:51 PM

You can shoot docks with rods up to 8 ft in length. The longer rods will give the bait greater distance. And the longer rod will help get the fish out of tight places when there is plenty of cover under the dock and a big fish is on. Using a longer rod is not practical for most people unless you have plenty of practice.
I like the ProAngler 5.5 or 6.5 ft rods. My preference is the 6.5 rod. Plenty of backbone to get those bigger fish out before they wrap your line on something. Price is right, $49 which includes shipping. Cons, can't think of any.
Posted By: bush hog

Re: Dock shooting rod - 05/23/18 11:35 PM

Of course everyone has their preference. I mostly use a 7' Bonehead, Light with a fast tip. I keep shorter rods for tighter spots. I don't care for ultra lights. When I do have to break out a short rod it takes me a few shots to get in sync with it.
Posted By: CrappieXpress

Re: Dock shooting rod - 05/24/18 12:42 AM

Light action fast tip is key. Length is preference but a 6.5 or 7 ft rod will shoot the jig much further than a shorter one
Posted By: crapicat

Re: Dock shooting rod - 05/24/18 12:05 PM

Originally Posted By: CrappieXpress
Light action fast tip is key. Length is preference but a 6.5 or 7 ft rod will shoot the jig much further than a shorter one

Got to hand it to you CrappieXpress, your setup was outdistancing mine substantially. And when I changed to your setup, I could literally shoot them out the back side of the dock. Also, mention that a reel with a large spool is essential, with the spool filled completely full of line...
Posted By: Gildner7

Re: Dock shooting rod - 05/24/18 01:13 PM

Thanks for the help. I am assuming it should be a 1 piece rod too? Where can I get bonehead or pro angler rod around DFW?
Posted By: crapicat

Re: Dock shooting rod - 05/24/18 02:56 PM

Originally Posted By: Gildner7
Thanks for the help. I am assuming it should be a 1 piece rod too? Where can I get bonehead or pro angler rod around DFW?

Ken Gaby can fill you in on the Proangler; fishing store in Chandler on Bonehead (or Facebook).

One piece for sure.

If I was going to replace my Boneheads, I would go chase up Tbox or Laner and get a g-rod...just saying.
Posted By: bayoubob

Re: Dock shooting rod - 05/24/18 03:38 PM

I have the Lews Speedshooter in 7'ML, Bonehead 7' and the Academy H20 Express Ethos with microwave guides ML along with many other brands but those are my go to's.

I use the speedshooter and H20 Express to shoot just jigs up under docks.

I use the Bonehead to shoot a slip float with a jig up under docks. It's a KILLER technique but you got to have all the right accessories to make it work. Can be deadly when fish are a little finicky.
Posted By: Finaddict

Re: Dock shooting rod - 05/24/18 06:32 PM

All of the above for me except I use my 7 ft G-Rod. Best all around rod on the market. Shooter, verticle jig, cast and drag, or simple old school cast a lure out and reel it back.

I have an arsenal of “Crappie” rods of every make and variety but since I got my G-Rod I only take one or two with me as spares. They spend most of their careers now in the rack.
Posted By: Lazy Ike

Re: Dock shooting rod - 05/26/18 01:27 PM

Hi Gildner like my pro anglers good service.1800 890 3746 or PRO AnglerTackle.comMy two cents, been using my pro a 6/ 7yrs great sensitivity. will horse big uns outa hevy she@$^%#&t Even the occasional 5lb. cat.
Posted By: HooknSlabs35

Re: Dock shooting rod - 05/26/18 01:41 PM

Cant go wrong with ProAngler
© 2024 Texas Fishing Forum