Texas Fishing Forum

Small Crappie on Fork

Posted By: Brew Daddy

Small Crappie on Fork - 05/21/18 03:22 AM

I have crappie fished multiple days this week. I have been catching a lot but almost 9-10 are short. Using 1/16 oz double hair jigs. Any tips on how to weed out the non-keepers? Bigger baits? Move spots? Good problem to have i guess. Thanks.
Posted By: crapicat

Re: Small Crappie on Fork - 05/21/18 03:25 AM

Yep, go hit the holes that haven’t been fished out...
Posted By: TroyKing

Re: Small Crappie on Fork - 05/21/18 03:27 AM

Fork is just putting out a lot really small fish right now....i think its about fished out...bolt
Posted By: Gamblinman

Re: Small Crappie on Fork - 05/21/18 03:51 PM

Fish bigger baits. You still catch some smaller fish, but your overall catch size should improve on most days. There are always the days that you have to downsize to get bit, but this time of year they are few and far between.

Posted By: Hickory Nut

Re: Small Crappie on Fork - 05/21/18 04:22 PM

I was using a Thermocline Mr fry in lime glotruse on a one sixteenth oz pink jig and sticking good fish. Once it actually got pulled off, I got hit and came up with just the jig not the body. I grabbed my bag and had a mini bait in lime glotruse handy. I just put it on and still caught good fish mixed with some small black crappie. Lots of fish mixed in all sizes hitting at twelve feet for me.

Re: Small Crappie on Fork - 05/22/18 01:20 AM

Originally Posted By: Brew Daddy
I have crappie fished multiple days this week. I have been catching a lot but almost 9-10 are short. Using 1/16 oz double hair jigs. Any tips on how to weed out the non-keepers? Bigger baits? Move spots? Good problem to have i guess. Thanks.

Earlier, I mentioned go find new holes that haven’t been fished out...specifically, stay away from any holes where Tbox and Hickory Nut have been! No keepers left after they leave a spot...failing that, at least drop over at hickory nuts place and eat some of his homemade ice cream...
Posted By: SheCrappieKilla

Re: Small Crappie on Fork - 05/22/18 02:49 AM

When I see the little ones stacked up on the graph, I just keep moving and don't stop. No need to waist time.
Posted By: Brew Daddy

Re: Small Crappie on Fork - 05/22/18 02:58 AM

Thank you all for the advise.
Posted By: Slewfoot

Re: Small Crappie on Fork - 05/22/18 01:13 PM

Originally Posted By: SheCrappieKilla
When I see the little ones stacked up on the graph, I just keep moving and don't stop. No need to waist time.

Judee must not have been on point!! roflmao
Posted By: SK.

Re: Small Crappie on Fork - 05/22/18 01:25 PM

Just showed that the lake is in good health..... all BIG crappie start out small.....
Posted By: Spiderman

Re: Small Crappie on Fork - 05/22/18 02:06 PM

Small crappie must be on all lakes right now. Must have caught 150 yesterday to end up with 24 good Keepers.

Seemed that you would find the bigger crappie on isolated structure with just a few fish on it. If you caught a bunch of little ones best to keep moving,

Re: Small Crappie on Fork - 05/23/18 12:30 PM

I always like to see various ageclass crappie on a lake, as I fish...I know the fish are in good health and reproducing properly...which is always a good thing...of course finding some keepers is helpful, as well!
© 2024 Texas Fishing Forum