Texas Fishing Forum

new crappie rods

Posted By: J.P. Greeson

new crappie rods - 04/11/18 03:26 PM

The Dobyns I ordered were too stiff to make a good crappie rod, but I had to try one of our sponsors first. Yesterday I received an 8 foot ProAngler. Now this one is definitely a crappie rod. I paired it with a Daiwa Revros. Now hopefully we'll have another wave of spawners.
Posted By: TreeBass

Re: new crappie rods - 04/11/18 03:42 PM

Your going to love that PA thumb
Posted By: TroyKing

Re: new crappie rods - 04/11/18 03:42 PM

You definitely can't go wrong with a pro angler!!
Posted By: PKfishin

Re: new crappie rods - 04/11/18 03:57 PM

Pro Angler rods are the bomb. I love them.

Re: new crappie rods - 04/11/18 04:00 PM

The 8 footer seemed like a good multi-purpose length. Planning on putting some line on it today and seeing if I can find a few.
Posted By: Fish Killer

Re: new crappie rods - 04/11/18 04:06 PM

Originally Posted By: J.P. Greeson
The 8 footer seemed like a good multi-purpose length. Planning on putting some line on it today and seeing if I can find a few.

Let me know if I need to show you how to catch a few of the slabs you got around the dock and in the cove

Re: new crappie rods - 04/11/18 04:38 PM

Originally Posted By: Fish Killer
Originally Posted By: J.P. Greeson

Let me know if I need to show you how to catch a few of the slabs you got around the dock and in the cove

You are welcome any time.
Posted By: UJC

Re: new crappie rods - 04/11/18 05:45 PM

The PAT 8' is a great all around rod. A really good size crappie can easily be slung over the gunnels. I now fish mainly with the 10' for a little more stealth and reach fishing timber. However, when I put the 8' in my hands, it's like, oh man, this is crazy good!
Posted By: Ken Gaby

Re: new crappie rods - 04/11/18 06:37 PM

thumb Good choice J P
Posted By: Slewfoot

Re: new crappie rods - 04/11/18 07:14 PM

I love my 8' PA's! All 6 of em!!! thumb
Posted By: JDV

Re: new crappie rods - 04/11/18 07:18 PM

Which Dobyns rod was it that you tried? I've read the Sierra 700 makes a good crappie rod.
Posted By: Finaddict

Re: new crappie rods - 04/11/18 08:30 PM

I have at least one each of the 5 most recommended Crappie rods out there. I would put my G-Rods far and away the lightest, most sensitive, and most dependable backbone of them all!

https://g-rods.com/collections/crappie-spinning/products/pro-crappie-8-mls-deep-jigging

Re: new crappie rods - 04/11/18 09:00 PM

Originally Posted By: JDV
Which Dobyns rod was it that you tried? I've read the Sierra 700 makes a good crappie rod.

I tried the FR 661SF. It looks like the Sierra 700 might work.
Posted By: river-rat

Re: new crappie rods - 04/11/18 11:44 PM

The Chinese folks makes some excellent pro angler Crappie poles
Posted By: UJC

Re: new crappie rods - 04/12/18 04:54 PM

Originally Posted By: river-rat
The Chinese folks makes some excellent pro angler Crappie poles

They sure do!
Posted By: Spiderman

Re: new crappie rods - 04/12/18 06:44 PM

Originally Posted By: Finaddict
I have at least one each of the 5 most recommended Crappie rods out there. I would put my G-Rods far and away the lightest, most sensitive, and most dependable backbone of them all!

https://g-rods.com/collections/crappie-spinning/products/pro-crappie-8-mls-deep-jigging

I think just like with everything today, you have to consider the price.

$169.00 rod should out perform most of the other crappie rods on the market.
Posted By: shut-up-and-fish

Re: new crappie rods - 04/12/18 08:29 PM

Great Rod, Great value, Great people
Posted By: jp24

Re: new crappie rods - 04/12/18 08:41 PM

I used the 8-foot PA rod for the longest time and loved it. Then I bought a couple of their 6.5-footers, and I mostly use those. I bought the $169 G-Rod last June, and broke off the first guide a few months later. Talked with Glenn, and he explained that I had to treat it like the expensive rod it is. Ugh. I'm kinda rough on my equipment.

They repaired it though, and aside from the $60 price tag, all is well.
Posted By: Gamblinman

Re: new crappie rods - 04/12/18 08:42 PM

Originally Posted By: Spiderman

They just don't out perform them, they blow them away.

Re: new crappie rods - 04/12/18 08:49 PM

Originally Posted By: Spiderman

without question it does. So much more fun and relaxing to use I am getting more and replacing my other brands.
Posted By: CrappieFreaks

Re: new crappie rods - 04/14/18 02:43 AM

Their website is painful to navigate.

Re: new crappie rods - 04/14/18 08:37 AM

Contact Lane Palmer. He will mail or meet you to deliver rods.

https://constantpursuitoutfitters.com/?route=product%2Fcategory&path=65
Posted By: Capt. Michael Littlejohn

Re: new crappie rods - 04/14/18 09:25 PM

We use the 8’ Pro Anglers on all our boats and love them.

Very durable too, thumb
Posted By: leanin post

Re: new crappie rods - 04/15/18 05:21 AM

also, if you break the top half of the rod, you can buy just the top for the pro angler. I have a 10 footer and will likely get an 8 soon.
I look at it this way, never get too attached to any rod, sooner or later they all break, except maybe an ugly stick.
Posted By: leanin post

Re: new crappie rods - 04/15/18 05:30 AM

Originally Posted By: UJC
The PAT 8' is a great all around rod. A really good size crappie can easily be slung over the gunnels. I now fish mainly with the 10' for a little more stealth and reach fishing timber. However, when I put the 8' in my hands, it's like, oh man, this is crazy good!

are all of the top sections of the rods the same length? I was thinking, if they arent, I could just buy a shorter top section to use with my 10 footer so I could have a shorter rod when needed. . I have always thought that if a manufacturer sold a rod with one size bottom section, and 3 to 4 interchangeable different length top sections, they could dominate the 2 piece rod market. it would be like 4 rods in one. a nice little case to hold the various length top sections in, and u could swap the tops anytime u want, instead of carrying a dozen rods with you. THE VERSAROD SYSTEM!!!

Re: new crappie rods - 04/15/18 12:30 PM

First crappie on my 8' ProAngler. Considering the weather yesterday, I was happy to find one. Also caught a 6-7 pound blue cat and a few buck bass.

Posted By: cellis

Re: new crappie rods - 04/15/18 07:48 PM

thumb
Posted By: Mo

Re: new crappie rods - 04/16/18 12:03 AM

I must be the only person who bought a g rod and was not impressed.
IMHO. It is a good rod, not worth the extra $$. I fish it along with several pro anglers, I can't say it out performs them
Good luck

Mo
Posted By: Ken Gaby

Re: new crappie rods - 04/16/18 01:16 AM

Good way to break in that rod J P. That blue cat showed you what the rod can do.
© 2024 Texas Fishing Forum