Texas Fishing Forum

bridges right now?

Posted By: Bobby Milam

bridges right now? - 03/26/18 10:36 PM

I don't normally fish for crappie but my trolling motor is in the shop right now. I was thinking about going to the lake and tying off of the bridge so I could at least get out of the house for awhile. Do they still hang around bridges much this time of year or do they move off to spawn? How about at night?
Posted By: Pintail711

Re: bridges right now? - 03/27/18 01:01 AM

It could be hit or miss under bridges right now. Fish are moving in to spawn and fish are moving out that spawned early.
Posted By: Fishbonz

Re: bridges right now? - 03/27/18 02:49 AM

Can you say TRANSITIONING?That`s what`s happening on most lake right now.But not all.
Posted By: Bobby Milam

Re: bridges right now? - 03/27/18 03:11 AM

Thanks for the response. Kind of what I figured. Guess I'll just wait for the trolling motor to get fixed
Posted By: crapicat

Re: bridges right now? - 03/28/18 05:26 AM

Originally Posted By: Pintail711
It could be hit or miss under bridges right now. Fish are moving in to spawn and fish are moving out that spawned early.

Yea, quick as this weather levels out, I’m gonna go check some of my spawning holes...
Posted By: PKfishin

Re: bridges right now? - 03/28/18 04:21 PM

bet it will be a bust. Might be a few females hanging around but I bet they are few and far between. Action will be close to spawning beds.
Posted By: leanin post

Re: bridges right now? - 03/28/18 10:19 PM

as it gets hotter with more sunshine, shad and crappie that have spawned will indeed move to bridges for the shade and structure to relate to and ambush from in deeper water. start checking NOW. especially on bridges near spawning areas. if your gonna do some night fishing tie up to pilings right next to the river channel if one side of the channel drops steeper faster than the other, tie up to that side. fish move alot at night on these underwater highways. soon crappie will be feeding on very small baits, that mimic all the newly spawned baitfish, so the game is, think small. the small size meller yeller slab bandits/ texas toast. river cane, slab bandits work great post spawn. thump buddies also. match the hatch. as the summer comes on, keep trying the natural colors like crickets, green and brown and black browns, to mimic mayflys, crickets, grasshoppers.
Posted By: serj5150

Re: bridges right now? - 03/29/18 01:49 PM

Originally Posted By: leanin post
as it gets hotter with more sunshine, shad and crappie that have spawned will indeed move to bridges for the shade and structure to relate to and ambush from in deeper water. start checking NOW. especially on bridges near spawning areas. if your gonna do some night fishing tie up to pilings right next to the river channel if one side of the channel drops steeper faster than the other, tie up to that side. fish move alot at night on these underwater highways. soon crappie will be feeding on very small baits, that mimic all the newly spawned baitfish, so the game is, think small. the small size meller yeller slab bandits/ texas toast. river cane, slab bandits work great post spawn. thump buddies also. match the hatch. as the summer comes on, keep trying the natural colors like crickets, green and brown and black browns, to mimic mayflys, crickets, grasshoppers.

Thanks a lot Leaning Post!! Some pretty good advice that makes me think of great past trips where it was very similar conditions and we slayed them. thumb
© 2024 Texas Fishing Forum