Texas Fishing Forum

Lake LBJ Crappie

Posted By: scheshier

Lake LBJ Crappie - 03/03/18 04:35 PM

I was planning on going to LBJ next weekend, any info would be greatly appreciated, as I have never been on the lake. I have a boat with great electronics, just need to be pointed in the right direction.
Posted By: leanin post

Re: Lake LBJ Crappie - 03/03/18 05:12 PM

launch at blue briar bark, go straight out until you hit the main river channel, go right and find and fish mid depth to shallow brush on the right side..there are piles for abt 1/2 mil as u go along there are some old trees on the right bank, there are stumps in front of these trees that hold big fish, also springs that cause bubbles that can fool you, because your sonar will think its fish. Further down u eventually come to a bridge, theres a fish house on the right side with plenty of brush in front u can fish, and the bridge pilings give up fish too. go at idle under any bridge, law is strictly enforced. Jetfleas and donzis will ruin your fishing by noon, so go early. .there are piles for an 3/4 mile.. if this doesnt produce go the opposite way and ride the channel drop, there are deeper piles on this side on the LEFT side of the channel. There is also a long point on LBJ called lighthouse point. (a long point with a lighthouse on it), there are piles all around this big point.
fish can be anywhere right now, its almost spring, the weather is dynamic, and the baitfish moving alot, look anywhere and everywhere. deep jig in 22 to 27 feet, and slip cork rig from 10 feet to the bank. LBJ is basically a big river system, and river fish can move alot. look for birds diving, on banks, herons, ect. dont bother trying to fish the docks, most are too shallow, there are deeper ones you can find but they are few. there are many brushpiles marked with bouys , jugs, ect on this lake, check them out. matter fact, right as your motoring out of bluebriar cove theres one, tied to a huge pile, usually good for a few fish. im no expert by far on this lake, but what ive posted here is verified by me information. also, put a few bucks in the toilet house box, it keeps a decent lid on the crapper and some john wayne toilet paper. better than a half a seat and no toilet paper at all. also, limited parking, but a great ramp.
Posted By: fishincoach

Re: Lake LBJ Crappie - 03/03/18 05:27 PM

Yes look for baitfish. If that fails but we haven't had any fronts, try the coves and pitch a jig against the concrete walls. I have caught several males on two occasions this spring in 3-4'on LBJ.
Posted By: scheshier

Re: Lake LBJ Crappie - 03/03/18 06:18 PM

Thank y'all ill definitely side scan those piles!!!
Posted By: leanin post

Re: Lake LBJ Crappie - 03/04/18 07:49 PM

what you have is a slow gradient slope on one side, then a steep channel drop, ride the channel drop and scan the opposite side of the slow flat side. there is some kind of jungle gym with big ropes, maybe a like a pirates ship or something for kids to play on, its huge you cant miss itthere are some very large piles in abt 10 feet in front of that play area, and some a little deeper that should be fabulous. not much past that low bridge further up, lots of solid rock ledges and sheets of stone. the channel runs fairly consistent, just use your 2 d and ride it, you will find piles in the channel and close by.
© 2024 Texas Fishing Forum