Texas Fishing Forum

Fishing log/journal app

Posted By: cmass

Fishing log/journal app - 02/23/18 04:56 PM

Good morning!

I am looking to document my fishing this year, and I want to find a method I will actually keep up with. Does anyone use any fishing log/journal apps, and if so, which ones and how much do you like them?

Other ideas for a non-detail oriented guy are appreciated as well:)

Thanks very much!

Carter
Posted By: crapicat

Re: Fishing log/journal app - 02/23/18 06:39 PM

Originally Posted By: cmass
Good morning!

I am looking to document my fishing this year, and I want to find a method I will actually keep up with. Does anyone use any fishing log/journal apps, and if so, which ones and how much do you like them?

Thanks very much!

Carter

Hmmm, non-detail guy huh? Well then, ignore any suggestions UJC offers... roflmao

I don’t mess with keeping notes, but if I did it would be a journal (diary), which is probably the easiest method...anything more detailed will require information from more process minded individuals, such as UJC...He will amaze you with his notes...or at least he amazed me with his detail knowledge of past lake forays, particular spots, fish caught, etc...
Posted By: UJC

Re: Fishing log/journal app - 02/23/18 11:49 PM

Originally Posted By: crapicat

Hmmm, non-detail guy huh? Well then, ignore any suggestions UJC offers... roflmao

I don’t mess with keeping notes, but if I did it would be a journal (diary), which is probably the easiest method...anything more detailed will require information from more process minded individuals, such as UJC...He will amaze you with his notes...or at least he amazed me with his detail knowledge of past lake forays, particular spots, fish caught, etc...

Last Crappiefest, Dale and I stayed together. Before I fell asleep, he had tooted 29 times.
Posted By: Mac817

Re: Fishing log/journal app - 02/23/18 11:59 PM

Originally Posted By: cmass
Good morning!

Thanks very much!

Carter

roflmao
Posted By: crapicat

Re: Fishing log/journal app - 02/24/18 12:24 AM

Originally Posted By: UJC

Last Crappiefest, Dale and I stayed together. Before I fell asleep, he had tooted 29 times.

See, I told you! roflmao roflmao
Posted By: etexbasser

Re: Fishing log/journal app - 02/24/18 09:34 PM

I use the pages app on my iPhone, that way it is with me all the time and I can journal as I fish with the dictation feature. It works great for me. I can insert pictures of my graph or fish that I catch, or anything else.
When I get home, it is already on my iPad and I can edit or print if I want to. I started this several years ago and am happy with the results.

Later...etex
Posted By: Lollygagger

Re: Fishing log/journal app - 02/25/18 10:37 PM

I created my own simple excel spreadsheet that allows me to keep track of the things that I want to keep track of plus areas to put notes in. It also has some automatic calculations so I can see my year's totals at a glance. While I'm on the lake, I will put certain information in a text message to myself so then I can put them into my spreadsheet whenever I get the chance.
Posted By: ezed3354

Re: Fishing log/journal app - 02/26/18 04:24 AM

Bass Fishing resource has a form you can download and write in your information. Also check out, http://www.taysys.com/ I have used in the past when I fished tournaments a lot. Loved it just didn't keep up with the updates as I changed PC's.
Posted By: Gamblinman

Re: Fishing log/journal app - 02/26/18 12:41 PM

I used an Excel spread sheet for years until I learned Access, then I made a searchable database.
Posted By: Cast

Re: Fishing log/journal app - 02/26/18 12:52 PM

Originally Posted By: Gamblinman
I used an Excel spread sheet for years until I learned Access, then I made a searchable database.

Impressive. For some reason, I don't do databases.
Posted By: cmass

Re: Fishing log/journal app - 02/26/18 06:08 PM

Thanks very much for the responses!

Carter
Posted By: Jake Blood

Re: Fishing log/journal app - 02/26/18 06:40 PM

The best thing is not to write it down at all... Writing it down leaves a paper trail that people can use to disprove your fishing stories. Believe me sir, the fishing log I make up in my mind is significantly better than any I could record factually. Example: In my written fishing log, I caught a 2 pound bass after three hours of fishing and kicked a rod over the side while landing it. BUT.. in the fishing log in my brain, that bass was 6 pounds and he sh*t out a diamond ring worth 4k when I got him into the boat.

I'm telling you.. my way is better.. laugh
Posted By: Aquiles

Re: Fishing log/journal app - 02/27/18 10:44 PM

I take pictures with the GPS on that way when I put them on my PC I can just click and see where they were caught . Just make sure you remove the GPS info before posting any pics smile
Posted By: slabcrazy

Re: Fishing log/journal app - 02/28/18 09:57 PM

I use quick memo on my phone and it has an application to take and insert photos. I do it for every trip on any lake that I go to. I also use it to make notes when I use google earth to help me locate new water that I am wanting to scout. I insert GPS coordinates that I can relate to when I am out on the water.
Posted By: pepop

Re: Fishing log/journal app - 03/09/18 03:31 PM

Originally Posted By: Lollygagger
I created my own simple excel spreadsheet that allows me to keep track of the things that I want to keep track of plus areas to put notes in. It also has some automatic calculations so I can see my year's totals at a glance. While I'm on the lake, I will put certain information in a text message to myself so then I can put them into my spreadsheet whenever I get the chance.

This!
Posted By: PKfishin

Re: Fishing log/journal app - 03/09/18 03:39 PM

I can just use the dates on my pictures. The record from these pics the last 7 years since I have retired tells me Fishing is going to lift off like a rocket in about 2-3 weeks.

Based on my pics, if I just fished April and May, I'd get the best part of it.
Posted By: Spiderman

Re: Fishing log/journal app - 03/10/18 03:57 AM

I use a wall calendar with about 2" blocks.

On each trip I make a note of the number of crappie, jig color, & depth. Area of the lake I was successful. After 15 years it makes it pretty simple to look at previous years and get a good idea where I need to be & lure selection.

Works for me.
Posted By: TagUrHit

Re: Fishing log/journal app - 03/10/18 09:13 PM

I use the FishBrain app. All you do it take a picture and submit it to the app. You add your location, bait, how you caught it ect... and you see your fishing history for each year or your total combined history.
Posted By: Glenn54

Re: Fishing log/journal app - 03/11/18 04:38 AM

I was one of the only accountants that could create an Access database. That is one of the few things I miss about work. I have not thought about using it for fishing data. Cool idea.

Originally Posted By: Gamblinman
© 2024 Texas Fishing Forum