Texas Fishing Forum

Speaking of Fishing Line - Line Twist

Posted By: Jezreel

Speaking of Fishing Line - Line Twist - 02/11/18 12:36 AM

So, I finished up my first year of Crappie fishing out of my little boat. Learned a lot, and expect to learn a lot more this year. Biggest thing I learned is that I need a bigger boat. Anything over 10mph, and I am fishing from the bank. One thing I haven't learned is what to do about line twist? ? ?

I have tried to find a thread on this topic, and couldn't find any. I've googled, and haven't really found anything good.

I want to know. . .
-- Is there a way to stop it?
-- Will using braid stop it?

I just want to know about you guys who are out there a lot, do you just put up with it, and re-spool every week, or is there a better way?

I watched a YouTube video, and a guy showed how to spool your line on the reel to keep it from happening. . . Yeah Right! ! ! That didn't work.

After no less than 7 days of fishing, my line starts twisting on itself, and it just keeps getting worse, and worse.

I read and learn on this forum way more than I post, but this topic has me befuddled.

Help! ! !
Posted By: SheCrappieKilla

Re: Speaking of Fishing Line - Line Twist - 02/11/18 12:43 AM

I would guess you are moving your jig around to fast.

You can tie a swivel 18" above your jig also.
Posted By: DOFC

Re: Speaking of Fishing Line - Line Twist - 02/11/18 12:50 AM

The primary cause of line twist is improper respooling. If in fact you are sure that you are winding the line on properly, the second major cause of twist is trying to reel when the drag is slipping. Never, ever turn the handle if the drag is slipping. Tighten the drag and learn to "back reel"
Posted By: Ken Gaby

Re: Speaking of Fishing Line - Line Twist - 02/11/18 01:15 AM

If you're fishing plastic jig bodies, make sure the body is on straight and the tail is straight. Having the body a little crooked will spin the jig multiple times every time you reel in.

Re: Speaking of Fishing Line - Line Twist - 02/11/18 01:36 AM

Haaaaa. . . All of this, didn’t know. What a learning curve. It is still a steep curve. And learning is half the fun.
Posted By: Mac817

Re: Speaking of Fishing Line - Line Twist - 02/11/18 01:50 AM

Try holding your spooled line under hot tap water for a couple of minutes. Reverses the line memory.
Posted By: Txmedic033

Re: Speaking of Fishing Line - Line Twist - 02/11/18 01:51 AM

You can let out your line out without a lure and let it trail behind the boat and then put your rod tip in the water and reel it in. This gets rid of line twist and memory both by stretching the line. Or you could switch to braid and never have line twist or memory again.
Posted By: Mac817

Re: Speaking of Fishing Line - Line Twist - 02/11/18 01:54 AM

You can also take the lure off your line and trail it behind your moving boat. Let all the line out, troll for a few minutes and reel it back in.
Posted By: DNA

Re: Speaking of Fishing Line - Line Twist - 02/11/18 02:04 AM

Use the braid line

Re: Speaking of Fishing Line - Line Twist - 02/11/18 02:06 AM

Or use fishing line winder
Posted By: canyoncreek06

Re: Speaking of Fishing Line - Line Twist - 02/11/18 03:58 AM

Also, flip the bail on the spinning reel manually with your hand and not the reel crank. This is mainly for not getting a loop on the reel but I find that it helps with line twist as well.

>E
Posted By: crapicat

Re: Speaking of Fishing Line - Line Twist - 02/11/18 01:28 PM

Originally Posted By: DOFC
The primary cause of line twist is improper respooling. If in fact you are sure that you are winding the line on properly, the second major cause of twist is trying to reel when the drag is slipping. Never, ever turn the handle if the drag is slipping. Tighten the drag and learn to "back reel"

Agree...that said, using good reels will make a difference, as well, as I learned while trout fishing with 2lb diameter line, several decades ago.
Posted By: Gamblinman

Re: Speaking of Fishing Line - Line Twist - 02/11/18 01:58 PM

Originally Posted By: Txmedic033
You can let out your line out without a lure and let it trail behind the boat and then put your rod tip in the water and reel it in. This gets rid of line twist and memory both by stretching the line. Or you could switch to braid and never have line twist or memory again.

Doing this, closing the bail manually, and tightening your drag will eliminate 99% of your line twist.
Posted By: hawghoover

Re: Speaking of Fishing Line - Line Twist - 02/11/18 02:06 PM

had this problem for years on spinning reels using mono line.switched to #20 power pro slick braid 10" 12 lb mono leader #12 swivel and never not once have line twist again!
Posted By: crappieman1985

Re: Speaking of Fishing Line - Line Twist - 02/11/18 02:11 PM

The best line for spinning reels is nanofil, use it and see the difference, this line isn't good for baitcasters but spinning outfits it's the best we've found!

Re: Speaking of Fishing Line - Line Twist - 02/11/18 04:50 PM

Manifold is good.

Re: Speaking of Fishing Line - Line Twist - 02/11/18 04:50 PM

Nanolfil, I mean.
Posted By: Fish 68

Re: Speaking of Fishing Line - Line Twist - 02/11/18 06:38 PM

Jezreel, This is the guy who gave you the Slab Bandits. I agree 100% with Txmedic033,Mac817 and hawghoover. I've been doing that for years. The best thing to do is switch to braided line. I prefer using Power Pro Super 8 Slick 15 lbs. test Hi-Vis Yellow with a 10# fluorocarbon leader 12 to 18".
Posted By: RODS454

Re: Speaking of Fishing Line - Line Twist - 02/11/18 06:41 PM

Power Pro super 8 slick braid. Problem solved.

Re: Speaking of Fishing Line - Line Twist - 02/11/18 07:22 PM

Wow! ! ! Thanks for all the great info! I can’t wait to get back out there. 1) make sure my jig is straight (which I didn’t think much about). 2) make sure my drag is tight (which it hasn’t been). 1) Flip the bail manually (which I haven’t been doing). 4) And yes, I am gonna try braid on a couple of my reels.

Funny. . . I never dreamed I would have 6 Crappie Rigs at one time. When I started I only had ONE.

Fish 68. . . Once again, Thanks a Bunch! ! !

As far as the bigger boat goes, my wife now understands the “Need” for the bigger boat. Maybe it will happen before the end of 2018.

Thanks Guys. . .
Posted By: old76angler

Re: Speaking of Fishing Line - Line Twist - 02/12/18 02:14 AM

thumb
Posted By: Duck_Jerky

Re: Speaking of Fishing Line - Line Twist - 02/12/18 02:19 PM

Two simple words if you use a spinning reel: Use Braid

There are all kinds of thoughts on eliminating line twist with mono on a spinning reel. The action of the spinning reel actually "twists" the line onto the spool, so it's pretty hard to ever eliminate it.

The only 2 spinning reels that I still have mono on are my dock shooter and my slip cork reel...all others have braid on them.
Posted By: TexExp

Re: Speaking of Fishing Line - Line Twist - 02/13/18 07:35 PM

Yes, agree with Brian and others, braid is the way to go.
Winter is especially bad for mono line memory. You will miss light bites with those coils. cool
Posted By: OFBHWG

Re: Speaking of Fishing Line - Line Twist - 02/15/18 02:21 PM

BRAID!!!!!!!
Posted By: PEDRO H.

Re: Speaking of Fishing Line - Line Twist - 02/15/18 03:20 PM

I use braid most of the time but this year I picked up a spool of the Hi-Viz Bone Head Mono in 8-10 pound test and I have been very impressed with it on my spinning reels. little to no memory. I use shimano 2500 series spinning reels.
Posted By: BlueNitro

Re: Speaking of Fishing Line - Line Twist - 02/16/18 01:54 PM

If you want to wait on switching over to braid, use a line conditioner like Reel Magic or the KVD line conditioner. It helps. Some rods you are going to want mono on (like dock shooting or if they are being real line shy).

Then try the braid on one reel to see how you like it (some people hate it!). I am trying out the BPS/XPS Hyper Braid in 20 lb yellow and I like it so far (good price compared to others). I also have some Bonehead 12 lb orange that is good line too.

I put a Norman Speed Clip at the end of the braid and then tie up various fluorocarbon leaders on a swivel so I can switch them out when I want to or if I break off. I tie doubles for bridge fishing, singles in various head colors and some of my hand ties and also for my spider rigs. I do this mainly for tournaments because it saves me a lot of time when fishing. Storing them is a PITA but you can get creative.

Pool noodles are your friend.

Re: Speaking of Fishing Line - Line Twist - 02/16/18 07:33 PM

Braid works fine with dock shooting

Originally Posted By: Duck_Jerky
Two simple words if you use a spinning reel: Use Braid

There are all kinds of thoughts on eliminating line twist with mono on a spinning reel. The action of the spinning reel actually "twists" the line onto the spool, so it's pretty hard to ever eliminate it.

The only 2 spinning reels that I still have mono on are my dock shooter and my slip cork reel...all others have braid on them.
Posted By: TWINCITY

Re: Speaking of Fishing Line - Line Twist - 02/16/18 07:43 PM

If you are using a spinning reel, the best way overall is get 10 lb braid and go fishing. That fixed all of my problems using a spinning reel. The crappie don't seem to care.
Posted By: Greg Z

Re: Speaking of Fishing Line - Line Twist - 02/16/18 10:03 PM

Originally Posted By: Txmedic033

This assuming you are using a spinning reel. I also recommend Sufix for low memory quality. One more thing you can do is to tie a barrel swivel 18" above you bait. It keeps the bait from twisting the main line.

-Z-
Posted By: crapicat

Re: Speaking of Fishing Line - Line Twist - 02/17/18 03:27 AM

Bluenitro..one question...does your wife consider you anal retentive? Dude, I have seen many people prepared for upcoming events...but those pics show a new level of preparedness!

Re: Speaking of Fishing Line - Line Twist - 02/18/18 07:45 PM

Yep, I use Shimano Sedona 1500 on my 5 rods. Looking forward to trying braid. I gotta tell ya, the line twist was wearing me out this past year. Soon as I can get a day with wind under 10ish mph, or without rain, I’ll be hittin’ It with braid.

Re: Speaking of Fishing Line - Line Twist - 02/18/18 07:48 PM

And. . . Thanks so much for all the good info. My first year learning curve was huge. I’m sure, this year I’ll still be learning TONS!

Thanks Folks! ! !
Posted By: canyoncreek06

Re: Speaking of Fishing Line - Line Twist - 02/19/18 03:49 AM

Originally Posted By: Jezreel
Yep, I use Shimano Sedona 1500 on my 5 rods. Looking forward to trying braid. I gotta tell ya, the line twist was wearing me out this past year. Soon as I can get a day with wind under 10ish mph, or without rain, I’ll be hittin’ It with braid.

One other note and I'm not sure if it was posted or if you are aware. But, when spooling up with braid you need to leave some mono backing on the reel and join the two with one of the various knots used for joining two lines together.

>E
© 2024 Texas Fishing Forum