Texas Fishing Forum

Crappie Chum

Posted By: Dan_n_Texas

Crappie Chum - 02/06/18 07:45 PM

Anyone ever use a chum for crappie? If so, what do you use?
Posted By: KidKrappie

Re: Crappie Chum - 02/06/18 07:54 PM

Chum for crappie is a waste of time and money IMO. All it does is bring in carp and cats. Some well placed brush is all you need to catch crappie.
Posted By: old76angler

Re: Crappie Chum - 02/07/18 09:43 PM

Yes on that!
Posted By: 1 link stringer

Re: Crappie Chum - 02/09/18 01:27 PM

Chartreus Crappie crack has worked well for me.
Posted By: crapicat

Re: Crappie Chum - 02/09/18 04:17 PM

Originally Posted By: Dan_n_Texas

I spent some time exploring that option years ago...poured up some wheat in water, let it soak, dunked it in the lake in 5 gallon buckets, near some brushpiles that I like...guess those catfish/carp ran all the crappie out of the area. Then I tried some sort of commercially available crappie attractant, that you put in a mesh bag a half dozen times or so ( till I ran out)... never really though either method was worth the trouble, ie., didn’t catch any more fish than usual...

Of course, you could ask UJC...I think he might use the stuff to help him catch a fish... stir
Posted By: JIM SR.

Re: Crappie Chum - 02/09/18 04:39 PM

I think I put this on here before,..but I'm at work doing nuttin so what the heck.. juggle
as a youngster me and my brother was always sent to the farm to be with grandparents for the summer.
Grandpa was a big time crappie fisherman,..we went every weekend to a lake in Missouri and always came home with
a mess...couple of his tricks were, taking his pole and slapping it over the brushpile, or smacking the water with a small hand paddle.
He would tilt the trolling motor (small transom mounted) til the blades would be just out of the water and splash around a few seconds..
and he would keep a box of white rice in the boat..he would grab a hand full and throw it out over the fishing area...
he said that the rice falling slowing would get the fish excited, and hopefully start to bite...seems like they all worked, or didn't.
But it was always fun...
fish
Posted By: Cast

Re: Crappie Chum - 02/09/18 04:47 PM

Indian corn is my secret.
Posted By: Fishbonz

Re: Crappie Chum - 02/09/18 04:58 PM

PLZzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzz DON`T DO IT!Structure is all you need
Posted By: UJC

Re: Crappie Chum - 02/09/18 09:12 PM

Originally Posted By: crapicat
Of course, you could ask UJC...I think he might use the stuff to help him catch a fish... stir

Posted By: Dan_n_Texas

Re: Crappie Chum - 02/09/18 10:48 PM

Originally Posted By: Fishbonz

Structure? But what if the entire several hundred acre lake is no deeper than 6 feet? (Flag Lake at Barksdale AFB, Louisiana)
Posted By: Pintail711

Re: Crappie Chum - 02/09/18 11:00 PM

Originally Posted By: Fishbonz

Structure? But what if the entire several hundred acre lake is no deeper than 6 feet? (Flag Lake at Barksdale AFB, Louisiana)

Go to Caddo and fish cypress trees instead, save yourself the headache

Re: Crappie Chum - 02/10/18 12:24 AM

Originally Posted By: UJC
Originally Posted By: crapicat

Is that all you got to say? YEeeeeeeeeeeee duel

Re: Crappie Chum - 02/10/18 12:26 AM

I agree withpintail...fished Barksdale as a teen, and was told the same thing by my elders...they were right then, and he is right now.
© 2024 Texas Fishing Forum