Texas Fishing Forum

How long do you keep crappie?

Posted By: Lollygagger

How long do you keep crappie? - 01/25/18 09:33 PM

How long can I leave crappie (uncooked) in the refrigerator before I need to cook or freeze it? I have it in a freezer bag full of water in the refrigerator now.
Posted By: Mo

Re: How long do you keep crappie? - 01/25/18 09:38 PM

My policy is 3 days,

I am sure it will last longer , but why push it ?

MO
Posted By: Duck_Jerky

Re: How long do you keep crappie? - 01/25/18 10:53 PM

If you open the bag, and the fish smells pretty "fishy"...I don't eat it. As Mo said...3 days should be no problem. I've kept it a little longer (4-5 days) but put my fish up in vacuum seal bags, so I don't have water on them.
Posted By: Bassthumb: Phill's Guide Svc

Re: How long do you keep crappie? - 01/26/18 02:11 AM

2-3 days max for me. I usually brine them for 24 hours.
Posted By: MAK747

Re: How long do you keep crappie? - 01/26/18 03:02 PM

In a 37-40 degree refrigerator, I would think 3-5 days max. My question is why, you already have them ready to freeze so just go ahead and put them in the freezer. When you decide its time to cook them, take them out of the freezer and soak in a sink of cold water and they will be ready to go in about an hour.
Posted By: crapicat

Re: How long do you keep crappie? - 01/26/18 04:45 PM

When you have them in the fridge, they should be on ice...no water, several days by keeping the water drained and the ice replenished. No need to brine crappie, ever. When you are ready to freeze filll the bag with water, remove the air prockets completely...in doing so you can enjoy them for up to 18 months...although any remaining air pockets will result in freezer burn on the exposed filets after about 8 months. Hope this information helps.
Posted By: C.M.

Re: How long do you keep crappie? - 01/26/18 09:28 PM

5 days maximum. About 1 month if you vacuum seal it (but taste will be very bland).
© 2024 Texas Fishing Forum