Texas Fishing Forum

Threadfin Shad Winter Kills

Posted By: Ken Gaby

Threadfin Shad Winter Kills - 01/16/18 05:12 PM

There's a thread in the cat fishing section about threadfin shad kills. It was started by Michael Littlejohn, owner of Tawakoni Guide Service. Personally, I'll take the word of one of the most respected guides in Texas who spends over 300 days a year on the water about what happens to the shad.

http://texasfishingforum.com/forums/ubbt...s_#Post12579562
Posted By: red snappa

Re: Threadfin Shad Winter Kills - 01/16/18 08:49 PM

I couldn't agree more Ken! The thread to the article from In-Fishermen giving the stats on a University study was great information. Seems that a slow temperature change affects shad much less than a quick change up or down. But, what would the guides or researchers know? roflmao roflmao roflmao
Posted By: markchat

Re: Threadfin Shad Winter Kills - 01/17/18 01:27 AM

Id like to hear from a biologist as to whether or not a dead shad (from presumably extreme cold temps in the wintertime) sinks or floats after it dies. I have yet to see a concentration of any consequence dead. ever. anywhere. I think they just get lethargic like all the other fish. But im no biologist, just a guy that fishes way too much.
Posted By: Bullet20XrD

Re: Threadfin Shad Winter Kills - 01/17/18 01:54 AM

Fish are slightly denser than water, so they will sink immediately following death. If not consumed by predators, the gases from decomposition will cause them to float eventually. This happens faster in the summertime than in the winter.
Posted By: Mckinneycrappiecatcher

Re: Threadfin Shad Winter Kills - 01/17/18 02:15 AM

Originally Posted By: markchat
Id like to hear from a biologist as to whether or not a dead shad (from presumably extreme cold temps in the wintertime) sinks or floats after it dies. I have yet to see a concentration of any consequence dead. ever. anywhere. I think they just get lethargic like all the other fish. But im no biologist, just a guy that fishes way too much.
we had shad kills 4-5 years ago that pretty much wiped out the threadfin shad in some of the lakes around here. You may not see it, but it happens
Posted By: Tony from Oak Point

Re: Threadfin Shad Winter Kills - 01/17/18 03:56 AM

What I've seen personally when the water temp is in the upper 30s is the small threadfin shad get disoriented and lazily swim up to the surface in a crippled way. It seems like they are moving somewhat randomly?
Posted By: Stump jumper

Re: Threadfin Shad Winter Kills - 01/17/18 06:32 PM

Originally Posted By: Tony from Oak Point
What I've seen personally when the water temp is in the upper 30s is the small threadfin shad get disoriented and lazily swim up to the surface in a crippled way. It seems like they are moving somewhat randomly?
They will also move in to very shallow water when the sun is out. Shallow rocky/gravel areas will warm quick in the sun. They then become easy prey for the cast net and birds. Seen it on Texoma several times. I was up near Shepard once and the yankee I was fishing with was sitting in the boat on the bank. He said hey look at all the minnows. I said those are not minnows those are the baitfish we have been trying to catch all morning.
Posted By: Ken Gaby

Re: Threadfin Shad Winter Kills - 01/23/18 04:28 AM

If you're interested, you can read the additional posts on the thread above which confirms there was a shad kill on Tawk.
© 2024 Texas Fishing Forum