Texas Fishing Forum

Jighead Size

Posted By: Mac817

Jighead Size - 01/03/18 12:56 AM

What's you go to size jighead for winter cold water as were having now?(teens at night). Mine's a 1/24th. Vertical jigging.
Posted By: Catfanman

Re: Jighead Size - 01/03/18 01:25 AM

I personally would wait till it warms up to go Crappie fishing like the spring time when the crappie will be more active
Posted By: kodys'papa

Re: Jighead Size - 01/03/18 03:20 AM

1/8th since we fish deep during the cold weather
Posted By: Gamblinman

Re: Jighead Size - 01/03/18 03:23 AM

I fish 1/8 oz. most of the time, up to a 1/4 oz.

With the cold weather we've had the last week, I'm betting they are stacking up in deep water...30,35 even to 40 ft.

Looking at my logs, this is the coldest stretch of weather we've seen in several years.
Posted By: hawghoover

Re: Jighead Size - 01/03/18 12:02 PM

i fish 1/8 only.i don't even own any other size. works for me. i used to carry every size known to man also hair jigs. i lost a lot of big Crappie on small stuff so i went to 1/8 oz #2 sickle hook and about 8 diff plastic's. that's not to say there aren't times they won't hit one better than the other.it just made things a lot easier and i land more fish.
Posted By: Mac817

Re: Jighead Size - 01/03/18 03:08 PM

Thanks guys! You've been more than helpful. I'm at the point to make a decision to use bigger jigs only, like y'all, think I'll make the switch. Been catching well on 1/8th lately. Best wishes to y'all for the new year!
Posted By: dwmoore

Re: Jighead Size - 01/04/18 08:52 PM

Originally Posted By: hawghoover
i fish 1/8 only.i don't even own any other size. works for me. i used to carry every size known to man also hair jigs. i lost a lot of big Crappie on small stuff so i went to 1/8 oz #2 sickle hook and about 8 diff plastic's. that's not to say there aren't times they won't hit one better than the other.it just made things a lot easier and i land more fish.
This is how I think an fish .Your arm is how you make a jig work it's not its weight.All the colors an styles catch fisherman not fish.Fish only see 5 colors.location an presentation catch fish.lets fish hawghoover.Darrell
Posted By: Thumpy

Re: Jighead Size - 01/05/18 02:25 AM

Originally Posted By: Catfanman
I personally would wait till it warms up to go Crappie fishing like the spring time when the crappie will be more active

Shoot I can't wait until spring to catch crappie. Fun to hunt all year
Posted By: Thumpy

Re: Jighead Size - 01/05/18 02:25 AM

Originally Posted By: dwmoore
Originally Posted By: hawghoover
This is how I think an fish .Your arm is how you make a jig work it's not its weight.All the colors an styles catch fisherman not fish.Fish only see 5 colors.location an presentation catch fish.lets fish hawghoover.Darrell

What colors do they see?
Posted By: bush hog

Re: Jighead Size - 01/05/18 03:11 AM

I prefer a 1/16 but since I'm fishing deeper right now I've switched to a 1/8th cause I'm in my 60's and don't have time to wait on 1/16 to fall 25 ft. roflmao If I'm dock shooting I sometimes drop to a 1/32 depending on the bite.
Posted By: hawghoover

Re: Jighead Size - 01/05/18 11:46 AM

yesterday on a 1/8 oz.
Posted By: Spiderman

Re: Jighead Size - 01/05/18 03:00 PM

Originally Posted By: bush hog
I prefer a 1/16 but since I'm fishing deeper right now I've switched to a 1/8th cause I'm in my 60's and don't have time to wait on 1/16 to fall 25 ft. roflmao If I'm dock shooting I sometimes drop to a 1/32 depending on the bite.

This.
Posted By: dwmoore

Re: Jighead Size - 01/05/18 08:58 PM

They see blk blue red white an chartreuse per in fisherman
© 2024 Texas Fishing Forum