Texas Fishing Forum

What do you consider...

Posted By: smove

What do you consider... - 12/18/17 05:58 PM

A good day of crappie fishing. Apparently catching a limit would be a good day. No, that would be an awesome day. But we all know how hard it is to catch a limit. If it were easy, everybody would do it.

But back to my question. What would you consider a good day of crappie fishing? I think if you can catch 8-10 nice keepers, that's a GOOD day.
Posted By: SK.

Re: What do you consider... - 12/18/17 06:17 PM

IMO me just having the time out on the water is a great day all by itself, to catch fish is just a bonus...
Posted By: RODS454

Re: What do you consider... - 12/18/17 06:22 PM

Originally Posted By: SK.
IMO me just having the time out on the water is a great day all by itself, to catch fish is just a bonus...

THIS^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^
Posted By: speedboat

Re: What do you consider... - 12/18/17 06:36 PM

Around 10 fish is the threshold i use to decide whether it is worthwhile to keep fish to clean them, which i consider a productive day.
Posted By: Gamblinman

Re: What do you consider... - 12/18/17 07:10 PM

Any day you're above ground and crappie fishing is a damn fine day!!
Posted By: JIM SR.

Re: What do you consider... - 12/18/17 07:10 PM

Good weather, light breeze, not too crowded on the lake, daylight savings time.
I like a fair to good bite, but don't mind looking for the fish.
Since the wife isn't much of a fish eater, we'll keep a few every once in a while.
For us it's the going, and being on the water. Catching is a bonus.
Learning jig fishing is still fun for me, sometimes... fish
Posted By: Fish 68

Re: What do you consider... - 12/18/17 09:13 PM

Catching 20 to 25 crappies with 8 to 10 being keepers to make two good meals is a good day for me. Love the thump!
Posted By: Mo

Re: What do you consider... - 12/18/17 09:23 PM

First , a day = about 4 hours for me. Less than 5 , these fish win the lottery , get to
go free. 5-10 , ok , nothing to write home about. 10- 15 = good day , 15-25 = excellent.

MO
Posted By: Kylefield

Re: What do you consider... - 12/18/17 09:30 PM

Originally Posted By: Mo
First , a day = about 4 hours for me. Less than 5 , these fish win the lottery , get to
go free. 5-10 , ok , nothing to write home about. 10- 15 = good day , 15-25 = excellent.

MO

Second
Posted By: serj5150

Re: What do you consider... - 12/18/17 09:34 PM

I've had days where I only caught 1 or 2 nice crappie, but because I may have learned something new that day or found a spot or discovered a certain way to fish I would get excited and considered that a great day..Love learning and trying new things!! banana
Posted By: Fisherman Joe

Re: What do you consider... - 12/18/17 10:36 PM

A good day for me would be catching 50+ and bagging 5-10 slabs and my thump detection skills got better grin
Posted By: lookingfor25

Re: What do you consider... - 12/18/17 11:04 PM

Any fish cought is a good day. My take home limit is 10.
Posted By: kdub#1

Re: What do you consider... - 12/19/17 12:01 AM

I prefer culling through 100 unders to get 10 good keepers over fishing a super slow bite but catching only good keepers... if that makes sense.
Posted By: TR176

Re: What do you consider... - 12/19/17 02:35 AM

I’ve had really good days. However, I seem to remember the days when I worked for them and ended up with 10-12. Just the right amount to filet.
Posted By: Ruffneck2000

Re: What do you consider... - 12/19/17 02:44 AM

9 fillets if you can understand lmao!
Posted By: Ledeez

Re: What do you consider... - 12/19/17 03:29 AM

Im with kdub 100%
Posted By: SLABXPRESS

Re: What do you consider... - 12/19/17 04:56 AM

Great weather and a good bite will do the trick for me.
Posted By: Spiderman

Re: What do you consider... - 12/19/17 02:01 PM

I usually keep 12 crappie. A good trip for me is catching one 2lbs or larger.

Just trolling & finding "new to me" brushpiles sometimes is a reward all in it's self. Sometime the piles are really old but will yield a couple of really Big crappie.
Posted By: stretch

Re: What do you consider... - 12/19/17 02:16 PM

Anything less than 10 and I'd prefer not to keep and clean them. I'd consider a good day anything over 15 keepers. But I've also had an awesome time just floating around watching the bald eagles, woodpeckers, blue jays, hawks and cardinals going about their business. Sometimes the peace of being out in the wild alone is worth more than the catch.
Posted By: PKfishin

Re: What do you consider... - 12/19/17 04:00 PM

It's different depending on the Lake.

Lake Fork - Good Day 12 a limit is remarkable but happens every year. ( add five small bass under the slot. Bait stealers must die.)

Ray Roberts - Good day 8-10 A limit is remarkable and happens every now and then.

Possum Kingdom - Good day 3-4 Never had a limit of crappie at PK. Got 20 once.

All that said, the wife will eat one fillet and I'll eat two or three. If I catch two nice crappie I'm hooked up for at least one nice meal.
Posted By: Thumpy

Re: What do you consider... - 12/19/17 04:33 PM

3 keepers is enough to feed my small family. Anything over that is home run for me.
Posted By: Duck_Jerky

Re: What do you consider... - 12/19/17 04:58 PM

It depends on what my goal(s) is/are for that day. There are days that I don't even have a rod out...just scanning and marking areas to return to another day. Then there are other days when I really want to try for a "meat run".

First off for me...I'm just thankful every time I get a chance to be on the water...fish and waypoints/information are just the bonus.

Now during tournament pre-fishing/scouting...and tournament days...that's a whole 'nother topic wink
Posted By: Finaddict

Re: What do you consider... - 12/19/17 10:21 PM

Good Day? Physically able to get the boat out and be comfortable enough to enjoy Gods creation. Everything else is an add on.
© 2024 Texas Fishing Forum