Texas Fishing Forum

One last chance to put Pop's on fish

Posted By: C3

One last chance to put Pop's on fish - 12/08/17 02:44 AM

My dad did not want to fight the wind today, so we put off going fishing today and he extended his visit one day, so we could go fishing again on Friday. As I posted yesterday, we fished the dam at Lavon and he did not get a single bite. I caught 7 fish (5 Crappie 1 crank off the bottom, 2 nice Sandies 12 feet down); all on minnows.

We're planning to give the dam at Lavon a try again. I tried to talk him into fishing the 2 mile bridge at Tawakoni, but he wanted to stick with Lavon.

I marked schools of shad yesterday between 10-15 ft, but could not get Crappie to bite when I fished at that depth; only Sandies. We fished 25-30 ft deep all day and will give that a try again, unless someone can recommend a tactic that might produce better results. Truth be told, I was tempted to fish shallower, but stuck to the plan of deep water.

I don't want to send him back to Missouri without having at least one fish on; so any suggestions would be greatly appreciated.
Posted By: CoachTod

Re: One last chance to put Pop's on fish - 12/08/17 03:15 AM

I prefer to crappie fish, but if the bite is not on and I have guests out with me I switch to sandies. I don't fish Lavon, but the sandies were tearing up on Ray Bob last weekend. Look for the birds and they will show you the fish.
Posted By: HOGON

Re: One last chance to put Pop's on fish - 12/08/17 10:19 AM

Check you PM's.
Posted By: TexExp

Re: One last chance to put Pop's on fish - 12/08/17 07:23 PM

Yep, there were some gulls surfacing around Lavonia in the afternoon. Fast sandy action.
Posted By: C3

Re: One last chance to put Pop's on fish - 12/09/17 01:47 AM

Thanks Schmidty (a.k.a. HOGON) for helping me and my Pops out today.
Great fisherman, super nice guy!!!!!

-C3
Posted By: HOGON

Re: One last chance to put Pop's on fish - 12/09/17 10:17 AM

Cecil it was great to meet you and your father. Enjoyed helping you best I could.

I will give you a shout later I am off to work.
Posted By: BlueNitro

Re: One last chance to put Pop's on fish - 12/11/17 02:58 PM

Schmidty is a good guy. thumb

(Hey Schmidty - I was having issues with my phone out at deer camp on Saturday and then in went dead because I forgot my charger. I'll give you a call later.)
© 2024 Texas Fishing Forum