Texas Fishing Forum

Bob Sandlin Crappie

Posted By: Allen Bass Fisher

Bob Sandlin Crappie - 12/02/17 06:53 PM

I'm new to the Crappie Fourm but a long time "Bass" and "OT" contributor. I recently retired and want to get into Crappie fishing. I have a place on Sandlin and my wife wants to to catch some fish to "release to the grease" and not just release (Bass). I know they are there just not sure where "there" is.

Any help would be appreciated. Have a boat and tackle just not much knowledge.

Thanks!
Posted By: MrRoachie

Re: Bob Sandlin Crappie - 12/02/17 08:29 PM

You got side scan?

Check around the park at the dam and I across the lake in 15-20' for brush piles.

Years ago the lake record came from the pier at the state park.

I'd be willing to drive up if you wanna go some day.

P.S. Pepop whooped my hiney on Palestine today with his jigs.

I highly recommend his handtiedcrappiejigs.com
Posted By: 184Champion

Re: Bob Sandlin Crappie - 12/03/17 01:11 AM

First time on the lake last April and we found them on bridge pilings. Only fished for them one afternoon.
Posted By: pawj

Re: Bob Sandlin Crappie - 12/03/17 01:23 AM

I've BEEN TRYING TO ADD PICTURE WITHOUT SUCESS. Picture is only 2.5 mb ,but is large on post screen
Posted By: MrRoachie

Re: Bob Sandlin Crappie - 12/03/17 01:47 AM

Originally Posted By: pawj
I've BEEN TRYING TO ADD PICTURE WITHOUT SUCESS. Picture is only 2.5 mb ,but is large on post screen

Text picture to someone and have them send it back.

I do this with all the pictures I take and want to post.
Posted By: Txmedic033

Re: Bob Sandlin Crappie - 12/03/17 03:46 AM

If you are looking for a fish fry that lake is also well stocked with eater sized blue cats and magnum sand bass.

Re: Bob Sandlin Crappie - 12/03/17 06:21 PM

MrRoachie,

I do have a side scan and am planning on starting searching for brush piles the next time I'm out at the lake. Thanks for the tip.
Posted By: Gilly62

Re: Bob Sandlin Crappie - 12/04/17 02:55 PM

I had some pretty good luck this summer fishing the bridge right next to Barefoot Bay. Couldn't catch them on the 21 bridge and went to get minnows at Barefoot and decided to try it. It was a good choice as that was the best place I've caught them on that lake outside shallow water springtime fishing.
Posted By: UJC

Re: Bob Sandlin Crappie - 12/04/17 08:27 PM

I recommend joining Crappie Anglers of Texas (CAT) to learn all manner and methods to locate and to use different techniques to get crappie under different weather pattern and help in figuring different lakes personalities/structure/seasons, etc.

CAT has a tournament on Sandlin this coming January. The schedule at this time doesn't show where the weigh-in is being held but in years passed, it has been hosted at Big Earl's in Pittsburgh. Fish the tournament to learn more about the crappie there in a specified environment that challenges you or simply join us at the weigh-in where a lot of good intel is shared.

I'd also find time in the interim to visit with Big Earl's to discuss crappie fishing. He is a wealth of good info and besides, the food is great.

Re: Bob Sandlin Crappie - 12/04/17 10:20 PM

Gilly62- That (the 1520 bridge) that runs past Barefoot Bay is one of the few places I know holds fish. Have caught quite a few there in the few times I fished it. Need to find more brush piles. Actually need to take the time and find them as I know they are there, just have to look for them.
© 2024 Texas Fishing Forum