Texas Fishing Forum

Recommend a crappie reel

Posted By: Todd C.

Recommend a crappie reel - 11/29/17 05:53 PM

Hey there fellas. I have been out of the crappie game for a bit and I am currently revamping my gear. I have really liked my Proangler rods I recently purchased but am looking to pair one with a new small spinning, or baitcasting reel. What brands, models, and sizes do some of your pros prefer?? My budget caps out at $100, although I would like to spend less so I could possibly buy 2 at the same time. Any input is greatly appreciated!

Here is my current setup.

Untitled by Todd Crawford, on Flickr
Posted By: JIM SR.

Re: Recommend a crappie reel - 11/29/17 06:01 PM

I recently bought 2 Abu Garcia Black Max size 10 spinning reels, love them. I use 20 pound braid with 8 pound 15 feet mono leaders. about $30
Posted By: canyoncreek06

Re: Recommend a crappie reel - 11/29/17 06:01 PM

I prefer the Shimano Sienna or Syncopate spinning reels in the 1000 series. They usually can be found for under $30. One has the infinite anti reverse and the other has a "trigger" to flip the bail to allow for one handed casting. I really like the trigger as it allows me to make flip the bait a short distance with only one hand.

>E
Posted By: UJC

Re: Recommend a crappie reel - 11/29/17 07:17 PM

Originally Posted By: JIM SR.
I recently bought 2 Abu Garcia Black Max size 10 spinning reels, love them. I use 20 pound braid with 8 pound 15 feet mono leaders. about $30

The Black Max is a great setup with the ProAnglers regardless of rod length including the dock shooter. I saw some the other day online for $20. I have forgotten the site, sorry.
Posted By: MrRoachie

Re: Recommend a crappie reel - 11/29/17 09:49 PM

https://m.ebay.com/itm/11BB-Ball-Bearing...-1/272394471797

I just bought a couple and am very pleased.

I know a couple of people who use these quite regularly and one is a guide.

Re: Recommend a crappie reel - 11/29/17 09:51 PM

Posted By: REDGUN

Re: Recommend a crappie reel - 11/29/17 11:56 PM

Originally Posted By: MrRoachie

+1 on these reels.

I have 8-10 of them. Figured they would work, and after the gears "died" I could just keep the spool (as a spare) for one of the other reels. Been using them for 2 years and have not broke/stripped one yet. thumb

Order ASAP, takes about 30 days for them to come in.
Posted By: Gonzalezlg

Re: Recommend a crappie reel - 11/30/17 01:11 AM

What model do you use, want to order some.
Posted By: Gamblinman

Re: Recommend a crappie reel - 11/30/17 01:57 AM

500 series Shimano's.

Re: Recommend a crappie reel - 11/30/17 01:58 AM

500 series Shimano's.

Re: Recommend a crappie reel - 11/30/17 02:56 AM

Originally Posted By: Gonzalezlg
What model do you use, want to order some.

The 1000 are plenty big. Not a micro
Posted By: Grainraiser

Re: Recommend a crappie reel - 11/30/17 04:03 AM

I wish you would have posted this earlier. Bass Pro had Pflueger Presidents on sale for $30 last week. IF I had to buy some reels right now I would but some Shimano Sienna's. You can get them for $30 at Academy Sports store. There no need to spend big bucks on a crappie reel.
Posted By: SenkoSam

Re: Recommend a crappie reel - 11/30/17 11:58 PM

11BB Ball Bearings Spinning Reel

Pretty inexpensive. Anti-reverse infinite or top center engage?
Posted By: Jason Burton Guide Service

Re: Recommend a crappie reel - 12/01/17 01:11 PM

Like Roachie said, those are great little reels. I have been using them for a couple of years with absolutely no issues. They will even handle the occasional hybrid that jumps on my jig!

Re: Recommend a crappie reel - 12/01/17 01:16 PM

I've had bass to 9 lbs and flatheads to 26 lbs on my 500 series Shimano's with no problems yet. Some of my reels are 10 years old and never touched other than changing line.
Posted By: Thumpy

Re: Recommend a crappie reel - 12/02/17 02:28 AM

I have a couple shimano 2500's, cheap and work good
Posted By: marschall

Re: Recommend a crappie reel - 12/02/17 11:25 AM

Black Max Combo hands down . Academy runs them on sale from time to time for $39.00
Posted By: serj5150

Re: Recommend a crappie reel - 12/02/17 02:33 PM

I am really loving this reel..it is supersmooth.. just an option.

Lew's Wally Marshall Signature Series Spinning Reel - WSP75

https://www.ebay.com/itm/Lews-Wally-Marshall-Signature-Series-75-Spinning-Reel/253006691821?epid=1734473526&hash=item3ae85fbded:g:-Z8AAOSw-xVaAKJu

Re: Recommend a crappie reel - 12/04/17 03:13 AM

Originally Posted By: SenkoSam
11BB Ball Bearings Spinning Reel

Pretty inexpensive. Anti-reverse infinite or top center engage?

Not a top center. I checked a 1000 and a 6000 and they do slip back like every 15 to 20 degrees.

Good enough for the cost of the product.
Posted By: Lollygagger

Re: Recommend a crappie reel - 12/05/17 03:07 AM

I've got several of the Pflueger Presidents 6925x reels and love them. But I'm sure the reels are just a matter of personal preference just many other things in crappie fishing. Each person has particular brand(s) or color(s) of jigs that they love. It's all about confidence and personal preference.
Posted By: Fishbonz

Re: Recommend a crappie reel - 12/06/17 01:48 AM

Originally Posted By: MrRoachie

MrRoachie & REDGUN what make & Model reel would you compare this reel with?Not in price just in similarity. I just ordered two of em and kinda lookin for a heads up on what to expect before they get in the mailbox.
Posted By: Glenn54

Re: Recommend a crappie reel - 12/06/17 01:54 AM

I saw a thread on another site about a Penn spinning reel deal on Amazon. I missed out on that deal but found a Shimano Stradic FK for 30% off. I need to get a couple of the Siennas but have to do that later.
Posted By: ERNEST PATY

Re: Recommend a crappie reel - 12/06/17 02:21 AM

Don't over think this, the reel is probably the least important part of your rig. Most Shimano or Pflueger in the $30.00 to $50.00 range will work well. The 1000 size or 1500 (my choice) will work well but that's mostly a personal choice.
Posted By: Grainraiser

Re: Recommend a crappie reel - 12/06/17 05:14 AM

Originally Posted By: ERNEST PATY
Don't over think this, the reel is probably the least important part of your rig. Most Shimano or Pflueger in the $30.00 to $50.00 range will work well. The 1000 size or 1500 (my choice) will work well but that's mostly a personal choice.

This, I have Pfluegers, Daiwa, Okuma, Garcia and Shimano's and they all work great. Crappie are not tackle busting fighters so just about any reel will work. Having said this Academy Sports online has several different spinning reels on clearance with free shipping.

Re: Recommend a crappie reel - 12/06/17 05:45 AM

Two inexpensive Xmas gifts for the price of one is worth a think in my opinion.
Posted By: camoriver

Re: Recommend a crappie reel - 12/06/17 01:40 PM

I use Mitchell 610C spinning reel. I have 8 that I bought. Some at Academy/some through Amazon. $49.00 I use them in my guide service here on Lake Sam Rayburn. Handles fit for left or right hand. Durable. Good reel! Check out some of my videos on YouTube/Greg Fenn or see them at:

www.camoriverguideservice
Posted By: REDGUN

Re: Recommend a crappie reel - 12/06/17 02:43 PM

Originally Posted By: Fishbonz
MrRoachie & REDGUN what make & Model reel would you compare this reel with?Not in price just in similarity. I just ordered two of em and kinda lookin for a heads up on what to expect before they get in the mailbox.

Fishbonz, Clean out some of your PMs.....or send me a PM.
Posted By: Todd C.

Re: Recommend a crappie reel - 12/06/17 04:34 PM

Originally Posted By: Grainraiser
Originally Posted By: ERNEST PATY

This, I have Pfluegers, Daiwa, Okuma, Garcia and Shimano's and they all work great. Crappie are not tackle busting fighters so just about any reel will work. Having said this Academy Sports online has several different spinning reels on clearance with free shipping.

Thanks for the heads up on the Academy deal. I just went ahead and ordered a Blackmax 1 for $20 shipped. Thanks again everyone for your input.

Re: Recommend a crappie reel - 12/06/17 07:18 PM

Originally Posted By: REDGUN
Originally Posted By: Fishbonz

Fishbonz, Clean out some of your PMs.....or send me a PM.
Done :sorry about that
Posted By: Bobby Goforth

Re: Recommend a crappie reel - 12/06/17 08:15 PM

I use Wally Marshall Slabshakers they are inexpensive and work very well
© 2024 Texas Fishing Forum