Texas Fishing Forum

Fish Finder (Side Imaging)

Posted By: Crappie Ford Man

Fish Finder (Side Imaging) - 11/27/17 08:17 PM

I'm looking for a fish finder with side imaging that won't break the bank ($500 or so). Looks like the Helix 5 and the Garmin 7 SV are likely the best choices. What are your experiences/likes/frustrations with either of these? One thing I would like to be able to do is mark brush on the side imaging and be able to narrow in on that location using GPS. Thanks.
Posted By: JIM SR.

Re: Fish Finder (Side Imaging) - 11/27/17 08:50 PM

I think cabelas or BPS had the Garmin 73SV on sale, I have the 93sv and its great..
Posted By: 8upwithfishin'

Re: Fish Finder (Side Imaging) - 11/28/17 02:52 AM

If possible you can get a 10" Helix for about $825. Especially nice if you ever want to split the screen.
Posted By: Wayne P.

Re: Fish Finder (Side Imaging) - 11/28/17 02:59 AM

Originally Posted By: Crappie Ford Man
I'm looking for a fish finder with side imaging that won't break the bank ($500 or so). Looks like the Helix 5 and the Garmin 7 SV are likely the best choices. What are your experiences/likes/frustrations with either of these? One thing I would like to be able to do is mark brush on the side imaging and be able to narrow in on that location using GPS. Thanks.

There is a tree on the bottom "over there". Paused the screen put the position curser on it and saved a waypoint. "It's so easy a cave man can do it." Humminbird Helix SI.

Posted By: Gamblinman

Re: Fish Finder (Side Imaging) - 11/28/17 03:09 AM

You need a larger screen to really benefit from side imaging. Small screens just don't have the resolution.
Posted By: scruboak

Re: Fish Finder (Side Imaging) - 11/28/17 03:18 AM

I can vouch for that.
Posted By: slabcrazy

Re: Fish Finder (Side Imaging) - 11/28/17 03:44 PM

I have the 93 and the 73sv and they are great for the price and user friendly they are hard to beat. you can use right out of the box
Posted By: Thumpy

Re: Fish Finder (Side Imaging) - 11/29/17 04:08 AM

Does the larger screen allow you to see more detail? I have a helix 5, it's real hard to see crappie on a brush pile. The small dots. Only time I know I'm on fish is when it's a big school or bigger fish and most of the time I'm not targeting such fish
Posted By: Gamblinman

Re: Fish Finder (Side Imaging) - 11/29/17 11:40 AM

Originally Posted By: Thumpy
Does the larger screen allow you to see more detail? I have a helix 5, it's real hard to see crappie on a brush pile. The small dots. Only time I know I'm on fish is when it's a big school or bigger fish and most of the time I'm not targeting such fish

Yes..much easier.
Posted By: Fish 68

Re: Fish Finder (Side Imaging) - 11/29/17 03:50 PM

I have the Helix 5 and the Garmin Striker 7sv. Go with the Garmin it has the larger screen and simple to use. I think you will like it. It won't break the bank.
Posted By: Ricky Bobby

Re: Fish Finder (Side Imaging) - 11/30/17 09:43 PM

I have a Humminbird 998 with side and down imaging and GPS that I'm going to replace soon. I'd take $500 for it.
Posted By: Spiderman

Re: Fish Finder (Side Imaging) - 12/01/17 02:01 AM

You may be able to pick up an 1198 or 1199 slightly used for that price.

Big screen allot of detail.
Posted By: TexMann1

Re: Fish Finder (Side Imaging) - 12/01/17 02:10 AM

Just got a Garmin 93, had it on the water once. Was able to identify larger shad in a large school and catch them in a cast net. Limited use but impressed so far. Very easy to use also.
Posted By: Fishbonz

Re: Fish Finder (Side Imaging) - 12/01/17 04:40 AM

Originally Posted By: Thumpy
When you see dots on the down image or side image of your HBird just pause the screen and increase the picture to get a better look at those dots.Then you can mark it and decide if you want to fish it or not.
Posted By: Crappie Ford Man

Re: Fish Finder (Side Imaging) - 12/01/17 05:47 PM

Thanks for all the good input guys. I really appreciate it. I'm wondering if anyone that has been using the Garmin line is as happy with the newer models as they were the old....particularly the transducer? I've been reading about how they have a new transducer now that is a different model from what they used to have (I think Garmin was in some legal battle or something). Thanks guys.
© 2024 Texas Fishing Forum