Texas Fishing Forum

snelled hooks versus straight tie to hook for crappie minnows

Posted By: randy12972

snelled hooks versus straight tie to hook for crappie minnows - 11/06/17 11:10 PM

This is just an informal survey on what you like in your hooks. I have always liked a small split shot with a small snap swivel above a snelled hook. Easier to just swap out a hook when the fish takes the minnow down deep. However, I realize there are others who won't fish with swivels. I have to be honest with you and this is also a feeler as to whether there might be enough who use the snelled to warrant listing some snelled hooks on the trade page. I just traded for over 500 packages of new Mustad bronze sz 2 aberdeen snelled hooks and really don't want to go the auction route. If I am out of bounds by asking this here, feel free to say or delete the question.
Thanks in advance for your time, Randy in Alabama
Posted By: leanin post

Re: snelled hooks versus straight tie to hook for crappie minnows - 11/06/17 11:48 PM

post a pic of them. fish
Posted By: randy12972

Re: snelled hooks versus straight tie to hook for crappie minnows - 11/07/17 12:12 AM

I have tried several times in the past and just can't get the hang of how to include picture. I could send a text or an email. If you would like a picture send a pm with your info. They are the standard approx 6 inch snell using mono.
Posted By: Jig Man

Re: snelled hooks versus straight tie to hook for crappie minnows - 11/07/17 01:42 AM

I prefer a snelled hook set up. If I can't buy one already tied I will tye it myself.
Posted By: Gamblinman

Re: snelled hooks versus straight tie to hook for crappie minnows - 11/07/17 11:24 AM

Tie my own snelled hooks with Matzuo Aberdeen sickle hooks. Sharp as a needle.
Posted By: Dan_n_Texas

Re: snelled hooks versus straight tie to hook for crappie minnows - 11/07/17 09:47 PM

Snell Hook

Palomar Hook
Posted By: Dan_n_Texas

Re: snelled hooks versus straight tie to hook for crappie minnows - 11/07/17 09:48 PM

What would be a benefit of a snelled hook?
Posted By: Gamblinman

Re: snelled hooks versus straight tie to hook for crappie minnows - 11/08/17 12:03 AM

It keeps the hook aligned if you tie it direct.
Posted By: Ledeez

Re: snelled hooks versus straight tie to hook for crappie minnows - 11/08/17 12:53 AM

Palomar all the way!
Posted By: Grainraiser

Re: snelled hooks versus straight tie to hook for crappie minnows - 11/08/17 04:39 AM

I grew up with snell hooks in those Eagle claw hook holders. I now tie my hook directly to the line. It's been 25 years since I have used a snell hook.
© 2024 Texas Fishing Forum