Texas Fishing Forum

Texas BBQ

Posted By: shadboy

Texas BBQ - 04/15/19 10:34 PM

Didn't see anything like this from before so thought maybe I would start it.
Post pics and reviews of places you been.

Hutchins McKinney
Beef rib (awesome crust) and texas twinkie (smoked jalapeno stuffed with cream cheese, brisket and wrapped in bacon.)

[Linked Image]
Posted By: Bandit 200 XP

Re: Texas BBQ - 04/15/19 10:42 PM

Hutchin's is good
Posted By: lenahorse

Re: Texas BBQ - 04/16/19 01:27 AM

Hutchin's is good darn right it is love that place
Posted By: banker-always fishing

Re: Texas BBQ - 04/16/19 04:15 AM

Blacks Bar B.Q. in Lockhart TX. They also have a restaurant in New Braunfels TX. Expensive but GREAT! thumb

Re: Texas BBQ - 04/16/19 02:39 PM

407 BBQ
Posted By: JIM SR.

Re: Texas BBQ - 04/16/19 11:53 PM

I actually like Red Hot and Blue in NRichlandHills, its close, good portions and selections, and if you get on their
mailing list the bomb you with great coupons, birthday specials, etc...we almost always have a buy one entrée and get a
like price free, up to $13.00.... food
Posted By: YakfishinTx81

Re: Texas BBQ - 04/17/19 07:18 PM

Originally Posted by JIM SR.
I actually like Red Hot and Blue in NRichlandHills, its close, good portions and selections, and if you get on their
mailing list the bomb you with great coupons, birthday specials, etc...we almost always have a buy one entrée and get a

+ 1 for Red, Hot & Blue, always good & they send me mailer coupons as well. But, Feedstore BBQ in Southlake, now in Keller, is my favorite BBQ in The Metroplex
Posted By: hybridhunter219

Re: Texas BBQ - 04/18/19 12:14 PM

I hear Hurtado BBQ in Arlington at Division Brewing is getting great reviews.
Posted By: V-Bottom

Re: Texas BBQ - 04/18/19 06:33 PM

Austin's Aaron Franklin's BBQ...................

Re: Texas BBQ - 04/19/19 02:14 PM

Had a very good pulled pork sandwich yesterday at 407BBQ
Posted By: Cast

Re: Texas BBQ - 04/19/19 02:19 PM

Try the Boss Hog next. It’s the top dog of PP samiches.

Re: Texas BBQ - 04/19/19 02:23 PM

Originally Posted by Cast
Sounds Good
Posted By: Lazy Ike

Re: Texas BBQ - 04/21/19 06:06 PM

Wher is this BOSS HOG ??????
Posted By: Cast

Re: Texas BBQ - 04/21/19 06:30 PM

Boss Hog pic
Posted By: WAWI

Re: Texas BBQ - 04/21/19 11:30 PM

Originally Posted by YakfishinTx81

+ 1 for Red, Hot & Blue, always good & they send me mailer coupons as well. But, Feedstore BBQ in Southlake, now in Keller, is my favorite BBQ in The Metroplex

The feed store in keller went out of business almost 2 years ago. You may want to visit your favorite places a little more often lol
Posted By: slabnut

Re: Texas BBQ - 04/22/19 01:13 AM

Has anyone tried Sidways barbecue in the harbor, Rockwall? Thoughts?
Posted By: fmrmbmlm

Re: Texas BBQ - 04/22/19 02:19 AM

I have only eaten the meatloaf sandwich and turkey breast, don't need anything besides the meatloaf sandwich, and the turkey was excellent.
Posted By: WCLBASS

Re: Texas BBQ - 04/22/19 12:52 PM

David's BBQ in Arlington, Smoke Stack in KC is a close 2nd
Posted By: Ranger1

Re: Texas BBQ - 04/22/19 07:30 PM

Originally Posted by WAWI
Originally Posted by YakfishinTx81

The feed store in keller went out of business almost 2 years ago. You may want to visit your favorite places a little more often lol

roflmao
Posted By: rbadley

Re: Texas BBQ - 04/23/19 03:29 PM

For those that fish Ray Roberts, stop in Sanger and eat at Bolivar St BBQ. Very good food. Recommend the Jalapeno and Brisket Mac-n-cheese as a side as well.
Posted By: Ryno

Re: Texas BBQ - 04/24/19 05:51 PM

Bolivar's is very good. I'll second the Jalapeno Brisket Mac N Cheese. Incredible. Good people.
Posted By: Bigbob_FTW

Re: Texas BBQ - 04/24/19 06:55 PM

Railhead has always been my favorite.
Posted By: WAWI

Re: Texas BBQ - 04/24/19 11:10 PM

Out on west side of town bbq on the Brazos is the go to.
Posted By: nellie

Re: Texas BBQ - 04/25/19 08:52 PM

Originally Posted by slabnut

I have and yes its pretty good.
Posted By: Slow Drifter

Re: Texas BBQ - 05/04/19 06:02 AM

This reminds me, Cyclone Corral should be opening up soon, if they aren't already! I need to call and find out. Check them out. If you go, bring a group and get the "Family Style." Anything you run out of, they'll bring more. Brisket, sausage, ribs, all the sides, and awesome peach cobbler! cheers

edited to add:. Just checked. Yep, they're open! (they're only open about half the year)

http://cyclonecorralbbq.com/about-us/1971245
Posted By: labdog

Re: Texas BBQ - 05/20/19 10:57 PM

BBQ on the Brazos in Cresson awesome brisket and ribs. Well worth the drive.
Posted By: TCK73

Re: Texas BBQ - 05/25/19 01:34 AM

I had lunch today at Heims new location they opened a couple of months back. I will say it was real good. I had brisket, ribs and bacon burnt ends. The ribs and burnt ends topped the brisket though. The brisket was cooked perfectly, but had a lack of the amount of seasoning I like. The green chili mac and cheese was great as was the slaw.
Posted By: olefisher

Re: Texas BBQ - 06/17/19 04:01 PM

Favorites I have tried from top to bottom:
#1 Flores BBQ Ft Worthbanana
#2 407 BBQ
#3 Jambo's Rendon
#4 Guess BBQ Waco
#5 Black's Lockheart
#6 Heims Ft Worth
#7 Louie Muller Taylor
#8 Hickory Stick Everman
#9 Up in Smoke Hillsboro
#10 Cousin's Burleson
Posted By: LakeForkGroupie

Re: Texas BBQ - 07/17/19 06:30 PM

Originally Posted by slabnut

Yes, I thought it is pretty good, but it operates more like a normal restaurant and not like a BBQ joint. The live music is usually pretty good too. My favorite is their fried ribs. It's something unique I can't get anywhere else. But the brisket is pretty good too.

Best BBQ is CattleAck in Dallas. Open for lunch only Thu and Fri, line is an hour to 90 min wait typically. But the food is amazing.

Re: Texas BBQ - 07/17/19 08:15 PM

Originally Posted by labdog
BBQ on the Brazos in Cresson awesome brisket and ribs. Well worth the drive.

they are moving to the benbrook traffic circle. can't wait!
Posted By: Dan_n_Texas

Re: Texas BBQ - 07/20/19 02:42 PM

Originally Posted by olefisher
Favorites I have tried from top to bottom:
#1 Flores BBQ Ft Worthbanana
#2 407 BBQ
#3 Jambo's Rendon
#4 Guess BBQ Waco
#5 Black's Lockheart
#6 Heims Ft Worth
#7 Louie Muller Taylor
#8 Hickory Stick Everman
#9 Up in Smoke Hillsboro
#10 Cousin's Burleson

You should try Massey's in Alvarado. BBQ is great, sides are okay.
Posted By: Dan_n_Texas

Re: Texas BBQ - 07/20/19 02:43 PM

It's peculiar to me how so many BBQ places have great meat, but average sides or they have great sides, but average meat.
Posted By: texasggm

Re: Texas BBQ - 07/23/19 02:19 PM

Zimmerhanzels in Smithville voted best in County. Very consistent, really good, but there will be quite a line from 11:ooam until the meat runs out.

Re: Texas BBQ - 07/23/19 05:15 PM

Best for me (sp) Harrisons in Mc Kinney, Tx
All I have been with agreed also
Posted By: ccoker

Re: Texas BBQ - 07/23/19 07:09 PM

Brothertons in Pfugerville (just outside of Austin) is amazing
better than Franklins in my opinion

Re: Texas BBQ - 07/23/19 08:27 PM

the original cousins is the only good one.
Posted By: oneshot

Re: Texas BBQ - 08/08/19 05:33 AM

Snow's (Sat. Only)-- Lexington
Black's -- Lockhart
Louie Muller -- Taylor
Posted By: fishslime

Re: Texas BBQ - 08/17/19 01:27 AM

Originally Posted by WCLBASS

Talked to my son-in-law from Memphis today. He said Davids is awesome and competes with those in Memphis, which he knows very well. He had St. Louis ribs.

Re: Texas BBQ - 08/17/19 01:48 AM

Originally Posted by fishslime

Talked to my son-in-law from Memphis today. He said Davids is awesome and competes with those in Memphis, which he knows very well. He had St. Louis ribs.

He's part of the sonny Bryan clan..
Posted By: 603Country

Re: Texas BBQ - 08/18/19 12:30 AM

I like 407 best, among the ones I’ve tried. Back when I worked in Houston and the Woodlands, I was real fond of the Pitmaster (the Woodlands, on Sawdust Road) and the Luling City Market on Richmond ave, just off the 610 loop.

Now that we live out in the country, we have a new BBQ place in Groesbeck, Kings Backyard BBQ. The brisket is truly outstanding, and the beans and tater salad are also very good. They are a block west of the downtown stoplight and open from 11 am till 3ish.
Posted By: Bones72

Re: Texas BBQ - 08/21/19 01:25 PM

Wrights BBQ in Mexia
Posted By: RedRanger

Re: Texas BBQ - 08/21/19 03:31 PM

Originally Posted by lenahorse
Best for me (sp) Harrisons in Mc Kinney, Tx
All I have been with agreed also

Hutchins?
Posted By: machinist

Re: Texas BBQ - 08/24/19 02:16 AM

Thank God nobody said Angelo's. Some of the worst BBQ I have ever had. We have Rock Bottom BBQ here in Graham just West of the square on 3rd St. Its good and they give you plenty.
Posted By: TCK73

Re: Texas BBQ - 08/24/19 12:32 PM

Originally Posted by machinist
Thank God nobody said Angelo's. Some of the worst BBQ I have ever had. We have Rock Bottom BBQ here in Graham just West of the square on 3rd St. Its good and they give you plenty.

I will try Rock Bottom. I have yet to understand how Clayton’s keep the door open.
Posted By: Bigbass93

Re: Texas BBQ - 09/01/19 09:10 PM

Check out Heim bbq in Fort Worth. They have 2 locations.
Posted By: Mitt78

Re: Texas BBQ - 09/02/19 03:21 AM

The jalapeno cheddar sausage from Meat U Anywhere is damn good. It actually has some heat and flavor unlike most places.
[Linked Image]
Posted By: butch sanders

Re: Texas BBQ - 09/02/19 02:45 PM

this
any list without Davids
is not a list
Posted By: john h

Re: Texas BBQ - 09/02/19 04:14 PM

I'll go with David's ( actually in Pantego I believe) and Railhead in Ft.Worth. banana
Posted By: R.J.E.

Re: Texas BBQ - 11/12/19 03:35 PM

I grew up Taylor, Louie Muller isn't even the best in town, brisket is always overcooked and dry, Taylor cafe is a lot better.
Posted By: jackiekennedyfishingguide

Re: Texas BBQ - 11/12/19 11:52 PM

Blacks had the worst beef ribs I ever tried to eat.

Re: Texas BBQ - 11/13/19 06:43 PM

Originally Posted by jackiekennedyfishingguide
Blacks had the worst beef ribs I ever tried to eat.

You sir must have a helluva pallet for beef ribs! bolt
Posted By: lurenthewind

Re: Texas BBQ - 12/01/19 06:03 AM

There is a new BBQ place going in right now in Royce City. The guy has been selling BBQ out of a trailer there for a while but is building a new store right now. Don't know the name but it is in the old part of downtown on Hwy 66. Really good BBQ.

Wayne
Posted By: slabnut

Re: Texas BBQ - 12/02/19 11:47 PM

Smoke Sessions
Posted By: horndale11

Re: Texas BBQ - 12/11/19 09:05 PM

I believe Taylor Cafe has closed since the founder Vencil Mares passed away.

Re: Texas BBQ - 12/13/19 01:49 AM

Originally Posted by horndale11
I believe Taylor Cafe has closed since the founder Vencil Mares passed away.

Nope they are still open. I just talked to them
Posted By: deucer02

Re: Texas BBQ - 12/16/19 02:03 PM

Try the Boss Hog next. It�s the top dog of PP samiches.

Where is Boss Hog? I could only find on in Greenville, SC.

Re: Texas BBQ - 12/16/19 11:01 PM

Originally Posted by lurenthewind
There is a new BBQ place going in right now in Royce City. The guy has been selling BBQ out of a trailer there for a while but is building a new store right now. Don't know the name but it is in the old part of downtown on Hwy 66. Really good BBQ.
Wayne

We tried it from the trailer on a trip home from fishing, would never return based on the food we received that day it did make a lasting impression for sure, after trying Hutchins in McKinney I admit I am spoiled..
Yes I do know all have a different taste as to what they like but our group was all in agreement.
Posted By: CHAMPION FISH

Re: Texas BBQ - 02/02/20 01:51 AM

Agreed on Hutchins.
Posted By: slotlimit

Re: Texas BBQ - 06/26/20 10:53 PM

Smitty's in Lockhart is best in Texas. The fire pits are the oldest in Lockhart, it's the original location of Kretz. Same family, they just had a calling out. Way better than blacks and all the rest. If I go to Austin or San Antonio it's a must stop in and eat place
Posted By: JIM SR.

Re: Texas BBQ - 06/28/20 02:42 AM

I like Red Hot and Blue. Bought some burnt ends there yesterday to go,....mmmmm good, and good price. grill
Posted By: Patriot Guard Rider

Re: Texas BBQ - 06/29/20 12:09 PM

My favorite in the DFW area is 407, but it's a 45 minute drive (one way) so we don't get up there often.

In Arlington, David's is really good and there's a long BBQ pedigree in that family (Sonny Bryan's in Dallas). But there's a new place here, Hurtado's BBQ, that sold out of a large trailer smoker for about a year and has now opened a store front. It's great meat and sides, and after being open for a few months has a long waiting line on most days. David's and Hurtado's are both less than a 10 minute drive from my home.
Posted By: 4Weight

Re: Texas BBQ - 06/29/20 04:50 PM

I have heard great things about Hurtado's. What is your favorite meat there and are they doing backs or spares?
Posted By: Patriot Guard Rider

Re: Texas BBQ - 06/30/20 12:43 AM

Originally Posted by 4Weight
I have heard great things about Hurtado's. What is your favorite meat there and are they doing backs or spares?

He has great brisket. Spare ribs, St. Louis cut, are good. Also has sausage and quail, and those huge beef ribs. All of his sides are fantastic, especially the elotes!
Posted By: TxReflex

Re: Texas BBQ - 06/30/20 01:08 AM

Thanks! We don't do St Louis - we do full spares like in Central TX. Don't sleep on the beef cheek or turkey as well!
Posted By: Keystone

Re: Texas BBQ - 06/30/20 03:04 PM

Taylor's Smokehouse in downtown Corsicana not bad
Posted By: 4Weight

Re: Texas BBQ - 06/30/20 10:15 PM

Originally Posted by Patriot Guard Rider
Originally Posted by 4Weight

He has great brisket. Spare ribs, St. Louis cut, are good. Also has sausage and quail, and those huge beef ribs. All of his sides are fantastic, especially the elotes!

Well I will have to get there for the Beef Rib and some quail for sure. I do like Lockhart's too up at Texas Live.

Thanks guys, will get to Hurtado's !
Posted By: Tneel

Re: Texas BBQ - 07/03/20 04:44 AM

Originally Posted by butch sanders

this
any list without Davids
is not a list

I've eaten at David's and he has some solid BBQ. TMAN has some of the best brisket I've ever had.

Re: Texas BBQ - 07/03/20 10:07 PM

Hutchin's brisket is $ 28.00 a pound
Posted By: Keystone

Re: Texas BBQ - 07/04/20 02:46 PM

Originally Posted by Bandit 200 XP
Hutchin's brisket is $ 28.00 a pound

Wow.
Posted By: banker-always fishing

Re: Texas BBQ - 07/06/20 03:53 AM

Blacks Bar B.Q. Lockhart TX. There is also a second restaurant in New Braunfels TX. FANTASTIC Bar B.Q. and simply the BEST. food
Posted By: just plain bill

Re: Texas BBQ - 07/11/20 04:09 PM

Originally Posted by slotlimit
Smitty's in Lockhart is best in Texas. The fire pits are the oldest in Lockhart, it's the original location of Kretz. Same family, they just had a calling out. Way better than blacks and all the rest. If I go to Austin or San Antonio it's a must stop in and eat place

yup!
i normally dont use sauce, but salt lick has the best! took some to oregon and they went gaga over it. took some to ventura and they went gaga as well!
Posted By: White Oak Skeeter

Re: Texas BBQ - 09/02/20 12:00 AM

Terry Black's in Austin has the best beef rib I have ever had.

Luling City Market in Luling and Houston is dang good overall.

Pecan Lodge in Deep Ellum is very strong.

Ten 50 BBQ in Richardson has great brisket and sauce.

My new go to is Marshall's BBQ in Emory, stuffed potato, brisket, and don't miss the smoked mac and cheese.

Burgins between Alba and Emory does an outstanding wet brisket/jalapeno sausage sandwich. So great to eat while driving back to Rockwall. The messiest sandwich around!!

Slaughter's in Sulphur Springs has the best turkey ever made!! Turkey ain't barbecue unless it's Slaughter's.

Yep, I kind of love BBQ!! I guess my overall favorite is Black's, purely for the beef rib!!
Posted By: rebait

Re: Texas BBQ - 09/04/20 03:09 PM

I saw some conversation a while back about Taylor Cafe and if it was still open or not. The pitmaster was in our store yesterday. Looks like it is closed for good now. The virus was the final straw along with other problems. A legend gone just like many others. We still have Louies and Davis Mkt. A new place called Buckalews on 2nd I haven't tried yet.
Posted By: Monty Wright

Re: Texas BBQ - 11/05/20 10:17 AM

Tejas Chocolate & Barbeque in Tomball. The brisket is has been fantastic each time I've had it. Their Chile Relleno sausage might be the best sausage I've ever had. Bold statement but it's truly something magical. It's expensive "craft BBQ" but seriously delicious. Tejas has a weekly popup each week at an area Kroger parking lot in the outer Houston area. Their social media usually lets you know where the next one is.

Valentina's Tex Mex BBQ in South Austin. If you order before ~10:45 or so I highly recommend the Real Deal Holyfield taco. Homemade tortilla, refried beans, bacon, fried egg & a slice of brisket. Dear Lord is was awesome. Also got a half pound of mixed brisket and both of their sausages. The brisket was top notch. The sausages were good, just not top tier after having Teja's Chile Relleno multiple times.
Posted By: Derek ðŸ

Re: Texas BBQ - 11/05/20 04:21 PM

Went to Terry Blacks - Deep Ellum on Monday. Really liked it. Very nice location with outside dining and open view to the pits. Very friendly staff. I also like the order however you want, it's sold by weight menu. Only thing I didn't like was the coleslaw, everything else was great.

[Linked Image]
[Linked Image]

Re: Texas BBQ - 11/10/20 06:35 PM

Since I posted my list a lot has changed so I figure it needs updating
[quote=olefisher]Favorites I have tried from top to bottom:
#1 Flores BBQ Ft Worthbanana Now closed
#2 407 BBQ
#3 Jambo's Rendon
#4 Guess BBQ Waco
#5 Black's Lockheart
#6 Heims Ft Worth Quality has gone downhill