Posted By: J.P. Greeson

plant ID - 04/05/17 06:01 PM

Anyone recognize what these are?

Close-up of one of its flowers.

Posted By: Kattelyn

Re: plant ID - 04/05/17 06:15 PM

Mayapples.

link

I'm offline for 5 days in the hospital and you just have to post an easy ID my first day back.

Re: plant ID - 04/05/17 06:21 PM

Originally Posted By: Kattelyn
Mayapples.

link

I'm offline for 5 days in the hospital and you just have to post an easy ID my first day back.

Yep, that's what we just found after about an hour of Googling.

Re: plant ID - 04/05/17 06:24 PM

Originally Posted By: Kattelyn
Mayapples.

link

We may need to book you for a TFF East Texas plant class.

Re: plant ID - 04/05/17 06:48 PM

Just tell me when. I'm $25 per person for classes, 5 person minimum. I guarantee your head will be swimming. EVERYTHING you see has a use.

Can't do it in the heat of the summer and right now it's going to be a real hard push for my hubby to let me teach the class I've had scheduled coming up this weekend. Going to be real easy on myself.
Posted By: UGLYSHCTICK

Re: plant ID - 04/05/17 07:16 PM

cats love these. When you throw them in it they run and run and run. Little brothers like them too.

Re: plant ID - 04/05/17 07:21 PM

Smartaleck.

Bullnettles. But they're food and medicine. Food: Most folks know about the bull nettle nuts. But there's a tap root down there that's basically just a really long potato with a woody core.

The medicine is in the root. We'd peel it and cut it into very large chunks then put it on a necklace for babies to chew when they're teething.

Re: plant ID - 04/05/17 07:25 PM

roflmao
Posted By: Roller22

Re: plant ID - 04/05/17 07:35 PM

Originally Posted By: UGLYSHCTICK

Man I hated getting into these whenever we would be walking across a pasture from tank to tank fishing. Burn and itch for 30 minutes.
Posted By: LRG

Re: plant ID - 04/05/17 07:44 PM

I remember running through these on my 3 wheeler. Not fun.
Posted By: Siberman

Re: plant ID - 04/05/17 07:45 PM

Just go #1 on it . Uric acid takes the sting away .

Re: plant ID - 04/05/17 07:46 PM

Originally Posted By: Roller22
Man I hated getting into these whenever we would be walking across a pasture from tank to tank fishing. Burn and itch for 30 minutes.

I'll tell you how to get rid of the pain and itch immediately... and NO, it's not taking a leak on it.

These things grow in dry, sandy conditions. So when you run into one, look around for the nearest exposed, completely dry sand. Get a hand full of sand and RUB. By the time the sand has gone through your fingers, the spines will be out of your leg and it'll stop stinging and burning.

My aunt showed me how to do this when I was somewhere around 8 years old. It works.
Posted By: 1ShotNoKills

Re: plant ID - 04/05/17 08:02 PM

Hydrilla

Re: plant ID - 04/05/17 08:02 PM

When I was a kid we'd carefully pull them up by the roots and whack each other on the back of the legs.
Posted By: Huckleberry

Re: plant ID - 04/05/17 08:11 PM

Cats love these ... roflmao roflmao
© 2024 Texas Fishing Forum