Texas Fishing Forum

Seattle area

Posted By: RangerBass21

Seattle area - 10/06/16 12:02 AM

Anyone from Seattle area or Washington? Possibly moving to Seattle area, trying to get a feel what it's like?
Posted By: elcoyote, esq.

Re: Seattle area - 10/06/16 12:08 AM

Cold, rainy, and filled with liberal hipsters would be my best guess.
Posted By: DFW-fisherman

Re: Seattle area - 10/06/16 12:10 AM

You like, no that's not strong enough, LOVE rain and fog? If not, you may take up heavy alcohol drinking.
Posted By: Ghost4BH

Re: Seattle area - 10/06/16 12:11 AM

Originally Posted By: elcoyote, esq.
Cold, rainy, and filled with liberal hipsters would be my best guess.

Even our liberal hipsters would think the hipsters there are too liberal.
Posted By: SgtDag

Re: Seattle area - 10/06/16 12:13 AM

I was there for a week straight, never saw the sun and it rained the entire time. Not for me
Posted By: Brandon Adamcik

Re: Seattle area - 10/06/16 12:16 AM

Just moved my son there. Beautiful place but it's full of ******* frootloops.
Be prepared for homeless people everywhere and ridiculous parking.
Posted By: Kahuna

Re: Seattle area - 10/06/16 12:18 AM

Asked a cabbie if it rained all the time? He said we have wet rain and dry rain! I asked WTH dry rain was? He said, well you don't get real wet when you are standing in it!

Beautiful city, great restaurants, lots to do. Salmon in the bay, steelhead in the rivers.
Posted By: cocodrie

Re: Seattle area - 10/06/16 12:20 AM

Loved it there. Awesome scenery, lakes are great, weather is questionable, the driving/traffic is fine, tons of stuff to do. Spent a week there with locals and had a good time. Went to the grocery store and saw some rednecks fighting for our 2nd amendment rights. Tons of beer. Not nearly as Hippie as some would think. I would move there no problem. Only thing that sucks is the housing is crazy expensive. The house we stayed at wasn't all that great, small and out dated, way on the outskirts of town and they paid 400k for it.

Also, E Lk Sammamish isn't something you eat, I think they are confused up there, never once did I find an elk sammich.
Posted By: CCTX

Re: Seattle area - 10/06/16 12:22 AM

Just a quick drive up to Vancouver where you will find one of the most stunning cities and some of the most beautiful women in the world.

Re: Seattle area - 10/06/16 12:34 AM

LOVe the rain and rainy weather, want to take the Colorado Wyoming Utah route but I'll move in December , and may come across a lot of hazardous roads
Posted By: TR176

Re: Seattle area - 10/06/16 12:36 AM

I think you will b required to drink coffee 24 hours a day.
Posted By: Duck_Hunter

Re: Seattle area - 10/06/16 12:36 AM

As has been said, beautiful city with a lot to do. Great food, walkable, good size. I really enjoy it. A lot of libs up there, though.

I've spent several weeks up there and never seen the rain or seen it really cloudy, but it does rain a lot and have crappy weather. When it's not raining, it's awesome.
Posted By: Davedave

Re: Seattle area - 10/06/16 12:38 AM

I have only been once. Went for a few days. Sun was out the entire time. Beautiful area. Lots of tattoos lots of hippies. It seems a lot cleaner than San Fran.
Posted By: Brandon Adamcik

Re: Seattle area - 10/06/16 12:39 AM

The drive from Colorado, Wyoming, Montana, Idaho to Washington was incredible.
Posted By: Pilothawk

Re: Seattle area - 10/06/16 12:44 AM

Beautiful place. Both weeks of summer are gorgeous. Expensive place to live. Good seafood. NO pecan pie. Ice tea has no sugar.
Posted By: Metal Man

Re: Seattle area - 10/06/16 12:54 AM

sounds like a beautiful place if your passing through.
Posted By: Moto-Moto

Re: Seattle area - 10/06/16 12:54 AM

Seattle is cool to visit. Beautiful up there. But it's not texas
Posted By: SlabWhisperer

Re: Seattle area - 10/06/16 12:59 AM

Went through boot camp at Ft. Lewis in November/December of '69
Cold and wet... sun didn't shine very often... foreign land for a Texas boy that had never been north of Tulsa!
Mt.Rainer was awesome though!
Posted By: GhostOfThePassedSide

Re: Seattle area - 10/06/16 01:07 AM

Housing is Xpensive! Double to triple Texas prices eeks
Lots of losers. Govt regulations. You will regret it! bang

A lot (really) depends on your personal viewpoints in life.
Its the OPPOSITE of Texas in many many ways and politics.
Posted By: Jman

Re: Seattle area - 10/06/16 01:09 AM

A lot to like about the place. Eastern Washington and Western Washington is about as different as East and West Texas. The state produces some of the best produce, cheese and wine ever. My son graduated from Washington State University and I wish I could have visited him more often than I did.
Posted By: Allison1

Re: Seattle area - 10/06/16 01:40 AM

I liked the weather but we moved out in the early 60's. I was born at Fort Lewis and dad worked at McCord. I remember huge apples and all the other fruits grown at the house.
I've been back after growing up and the weather was decent the week I was there.
Clapboard siding instead of brick. Near Seattle and you only have AC for occasional use.

My brother who lived in Cary, NC(beautiful) visited Seattle. Him and his wife liked it so much they left good jobs at IBM and moved there. A couple years later they both were working for Microsoft at the complex, settling in Issaquah. They loved the weather and all the stuff to do.
A couple years ago she quit to get into another field and he was let go when they downsized.
The moved to CA for work and he's working for Google and living near San Jose now.

The housing prices were much higher than average. A 3200 sq/ft home they sold in NC for 350 thousand needed another 150k to buy a 2700 sq/ft house on less land.
Moving go CA and they spent another 200k to buy an even smaller home.

Posted By: PowerLizard

Re: Seattle area - 10/06/16 02:17 AM

My sister lives in Tacoma. She loves the rainy foggy weather. The bright sunny days of Dallas give her a migraine headache. I have visited her during the summer and the weather is great compared to the 100 degree Texas summers. It seems half the population drives an AWD Subaru due to snow and ice on the roads. Houses are much smaller, older and more expensive.
Posted By: grandpa75672

Re: Seattle area - 10/06/16 04:22 AM

Seems like the weather is always wet, damp or raining.
I lived in Seattle til I was 7 and again in 1969 so my opinion is dated.
69 was a good time to be there.
I think I hear a lot of complaints about the sky high property taxes.
The salt water and the mountains are some of the most beautiful country you will find anywhere.
I found more than a few weird people there in 69. Don't know if that changed or not.
Posted By: hopalong

Re: Seattle area - 10/06/16 11:20 AM

better check the gun laws carefully before you go, they got some.

I have been there many times in the truck (co. I drove for when I got hurt was out of tacoma) and at best a meh from me. it is a coastal rain forest and has some awesome scenery but the weather and cost are no goes for me.
winter there can be an experience from he77, snow usually screws things up really good till the plows can catch up.

on a hop scale of 1-10 (10 best) I give it a 4.25.
Posted By: UGLYSHCTICK

Re: Seattle area - 10/06/16 01:28 PM

Been up that way a few times. My son is stationed up there. His 2 bedroom apt is $1200 a month w/ military rebate. People are different. When I ask my son how the weather is up there he always says "Gray" After he had been up there a few months he got in trouble because he broke formation to go stand in the first ray of sunlight he'd seen since he arrived. Told his C/O it was worth it, because that was the closest thing to Texas he had experienced since he got there. Cost of living is pretty high. We were there 2 months ago and the weather was gorgeous. Going back next week. Mt. Ranier area is breath taking.
Posted By: Indianation65

Re: Seattle area - 10/06/16 01:35 PM

I've wanted to move to the northwest for some time, and was also curious about the weather. We all are told how rainy it is in Seattle and the surrounding area.

I actually called Troy Dungan from Channel 8 back in the 90s, and asked about Seattle. He told me it is overcast a lot, and it mists a lot, more than actually rain. He also said, yearly, and on average, Dallas gets more rain than Seattle.

Seattle just looks Dracula-gloomy, sort of like England.

Addendum: Bad things about Seattle, a lot of homeless (bless their hearts) and the northwest will NOT build new highways, therefore, lots of traffic. I'd say Seattle is like Austin.

...------
Posted By: GhostOfThePassedSide

Re: Seattle area - 10/06/16 01:56 PM

Dont forget property taxes. Average house around $400 a month.
Average House is well over $400,000. You would have to make nearly
double Texas wages and benefits to make it work.
Posted By: Derek 🐝

Re: Seattle area - 10/06/16 02:08 PM

My brother has lived there the last couple years. They love it. As stated parking sucks and expensive so they left their cars at their house here. I think the whole city is pretty much all Google and Amazon employees. Weed options are A+.
Posted By: elcoyote, esq.

Re: Seattle area - 10/06/16 02:25 PM

Originally Posted By: Pilothawk
NO pecan pie. Ice tea has no sugar.

Out.
Posted By: Rhino68W

Re: Seattle area - 10/06/16 03:10 PM

It's a nice place to visit. But I don't think it's a good place to live.

There is a TON of money up there though.
Posted By: Uncle Zeek

Re: Seattle area - 10/06/16 03:12 PM

While there's some saltwater fishing available, the area is mostly fished out. There's seasonal salmon runs, and even albacore tuna offshore in the summer. But otherwise, there's so many closed seasons and restrictions ... and few fish ... that you can't spend the whole year fishing like you would here.

Freshwater is better, but still heavily over fished.
Posted By: mavsfan

Re: Seattle area - 10/06/16 03:18 PM

I go there all the time for work. Land in Seattle and drive to Vancouver.
I have a brewery in Woodinville just north of Seattle that I visit. Woodinville is a nice area. Bellevue is crowded. It hasn't rained as much this year. Go over the pass towards Yakima Valley and it is hot in the summer and cold in the winter. Stay on the Seattle side of Cascaded for nice weather.

Re: Seattle area - 10/06/16 11:05 PM

Originally Posted By: hopalong
better check the gun laws carefully before you go, they got some.

I have been there many times in the truck (co. I drove for when I got hurt was out of tacoma) and at best a meh from me. it is a coastal rain forest and has some awesome scenery but the weather and cost are no goes for me.
winter there can be an experience from he77, snow usually screws things up really good till the plows can catch up.

on a hop scale of 1-10 (10 best) I give it a 4.25.

Coldest I have lived was in the negatives with 5-6 feet of snow, and coldest I have been is -18 windchill of -40, so that Seattle weather isn't that bad
Posted By: Moto-Moto

Re: Seattle area - 10/07/16 12:14 AM

Originally Posted By: elcoyote, esq.
Originally Posted By: Pilothawk
NO pecan pie. Ice tea has no sugar.

Out.

No Tex Mex either.

Way Out!
Posted By: Frenzy

Re: Seattle area - 10/07/16 12:20 AM

Seattle is rain country, if you don't like gray skies and constant drizzle you won't be happy there. Plus side is that within 45 minutes to an hour you cross the mountains into high desert country...which it the best place in the US of A. Eastern Washington and Oregon along with Idaho are a sportsman's paradise and there is nothing in Texas that compares.
© 2024 Texas Fishing Forum