Texas Fishing Forum

Reggie get's his trophy back

Posted By: Bigbob_FTW

Reggie get's his trophy back - 04/24/24 05:41 PM

Reggie Bush won the Heisman Trophy in 2005, but five years later, his award was revoked after it was revealed that, as a student, he had received improper benefits from marketing agents. However, with the introduction of NIL, the Heisman Trust has finally decided to give Bush his trophy back.

During the 2010 investigation into his time as running back at the University of Southern California, it was determined that Bush was the recipient of thousands in cash and a free luxury ca. These gifts were not allowed by the NCAA at the time. But since then, the league has adopted rules governing name, image, and likeness (NIL) compensation for college athletes, which allows these amateur athletes to earn money from their efforts in college sports.

Hence, the revocation of his award makes little sense today. And it appears that the Heisman Trust and the NCAA came to just that conclusion this week, according to Yahoo Sports.

https://www.breitbart.com/sports/2024/04/24/report-reggie-bush-have-2005-heisman-trophy-reinstated/
Posted By: Allison1

Re: Reggie get's his trophy back - 04/24/24 05:45 PM

Lousy thing to do.
They can't revoke any other penalties based on paying players. Why him?
Remember SMU's death penalty?

Leave it alone. They broke the rules at the time and the penalty fit the crime.
Posted By: Sawhorse

Re: Reggie get's his trophy back - 04/24/24 05:48 PM

I thought this was going to be about a white girl.
Posted By: CCTX

Re: Reggie get's his trophy back - 04/24/24 05:52 PM

It's the right call.

Re: Reggie get's his trophy back - 04/24/24 05:54 PM

Any (I'll rephrase that and say most) star players in the SWC, ACC, SEC, Big 8, Big Ten, PAC going back to 1979 was/were getting BIG amounts of pre prototype NIL and other....allegedly

Giving him his award, that he definitely earned, is the right thing to do.
Posted By: Razorback

Re: Reggie get's his trophy back - 04/24/24 05:57 PM

Originally Posted by Allison1
Lousy thing to do.

I bet Vince Young and Jameis Winston never received anything from boosters, so their Heismans are legit. Actually, we know Cam Newton was paid (in addition to being a thief). Johnny Manziel is all over the Internet openly talking about how much he was offered and paid. Do they get to keep their Heismans?
Posted By: 921 Phoenix

Re: Reggie get's his trophy back - 04/24/24 05:58 PM

I don't agree with this, it was illegal when he did it. They should now reinstate Pete and put him in the Baseball HOF. They should just do away with all rules that people don't want to abide by

Re: Reggie get's his trophy back - 04/24/24 06:03 PM

One of my friends was at UT in the late 70s and early 80s. He said the players' parking lot was hilarious. Everyone laughed about how all these "unpaid" players could afford new sports and luxury vehicles. One had a nickname...Edwin "BMW" Simmons. His parents probably bought it for him.
Posted By: Hookem

Re: Reggie get's his trophy back - 04/24/24 06:04 PM

I bet Vince Young never won a Heisman.

Re: Reggie get's his trophy back - 04/24/24 07:05 PM

I will refrain on commenting on the small bank vault amount of cash that was dropped on Eric Dickerson's dinner table while he was in highschool.....by every school south of the Mason Dixon......allegedly
Posted By: Patriot Guard Rider

Re: Reggie get's his trophy back - 04/24/24 07:33 PM

Originally Posted by Razorback
Originally Posted by Allison1
Lousy thing to do.

I bet Vince Young and Jameis Winston never received anything from boosters, so their Heismans are legit. Actually, we know Cam Newton was paid (in addition to being a thief). Johnny Manziel is all over the Internet openly talking about how much he was offered and paid. Do they get to keep their Heismans?

Vince Young never won the Heisman. Had the vote been taken after the bowl games he would have won instead of Bush.
Posted By: Duke 22

Re: Reggie get's his trophy back - 04/24/24 08:00 PM

Originally Posted by Hookem
I bet Vince Young never won a Heisman.

Should have though...

Re: Reggie get's his trophy back - 04/24/24 08:29 PM

My mistake. I guess I confused the national championship with a Heisman. Substitute Mike Rozier for Vince and my point remains the same.
Posted By: Slicefixer

Re: Reggie get's his trophy back - 04/24/24 10:01 PM

Originally Posted by CCTX
Any (I'll rephrase that and say most) star players in the SWC, ACC, SEC, Big 8, Big Ten, PAC going back to 1979 was/were getting BIG amounts of pre prototype NIL and other....allegedly

Giving him his award, that he definitely earned, is the right thing to do.

Yep....100%.....was going on before '79 too.....
Posted By: Duck_Hunter

Re: Reggie get's his trophy back - 04/24/24 10:09 PM

Never should’ve taken it away in the first place. But, once you take it, you can’t give it back.

Stuff like this and vacating wins are stupid penalties.
Posted By: COFF

Re: Reggie get's his trophy back - 04/24/24 10:10 PM

I know 4 guys, both family members and close family friends that played at D1 colleges, and 3 of them went on to the NFL.

The cash in a duffle bag stories are real. The stories about winning a raffle or sweepstakes are real. However the stories about the girls they bring in to parties are, if anything, understated.
Posted By: Dan21XRS

Re: Reggie get's his trophy back - 04/24/24 11:31 PM

Originally Posted by COFF
I know 4 guys, both family members and close family friends that played at D1 colleges, and 3 of them went on to the NFL.

The cash in a duffle bag stories are real. The stories about winning a raffle or sweepstakes are real. However the stories about the girls they bring in to parties are, if anything, understated.

Welp... There you have it... That makes everything from here on back to Adam and Eve irrelevant... Dan bang
Posted By: Kicker16

Re: Reggie get's his trophy back - 04/25/24 03:05 AM

Glad he got it back.
Posted By: outfishdya

Re: Reggie get's his trophy back - 04/25/24 12:25 PM

They should award SMU a couple of National Titles.
They could give them both of Joe Paterno's in the 80s...
Posted By: Quillback

Re: Reggie get's his trophy back - 04/25/24 12:42 PM

Bush should get another trophy for carrying Kim K's luggage through airports.
Posted By: skeeterokc

Re: Reggie get's his trophy back - 04/25/24 12:51 PM

I got a speeding ticket 10 years ago for going 75mhp in a 65mph zone. The zone is now 75mph. Who should I contact to get my money back and overpayment from my insurance going up?

grin

What is the difference between the two? I broke the law/regulation at the time before it was altered.
Posted By: RATZ

Re: Reggie get's his trophy back - 04/25/24 01:43 PM

he never should have won it to start with. The voting should be done after the bowl games. VY would have run away with it.
Posted By: Quillback

Re: Reggie get's his trophy back - 04/25/24 02:02 PM

Originally Posted by skeeterokc
I got a speeding ticket 10 years ago for going 75mhp in a 65mph zone. The zone is now 75mph. Who should I contact to get my money back and overpayment from my insurance going up?

grin

What is the difference between the two? I broke the law/regulation at the time before it was altered.

[Linked Image]
Posted By: WAWI

Re: Reggie get's his trophy back - 04/25/24 10:04 PM

Originally Posted by RATZ
he never should have won it to start with. The voting should be done after the bowl games. VY would have run away with it.

Vince Young got knocked out by a little white guy a few weeks ago. If he had won one it should be revoked

Re: Reggie get's his trophy back - 04/25/24 10:12 PM

He got knocked out by a half gallon purple drink then tapped over by a white guy.
Posted By: DJB

Re: Reggie get's his trophy back - 04/25/24 11:41 PM

Originally Posted by skeeterokc

grin

Totally agree. Busch and his family knew the rules back then. So did Cheatin Pete Carroll
© 2024 Texas Fishing Forum