Texas Fishing Forum

The best time to be alive: 1970 to 2005

Posted By: Jpurdue

The best time to be alive: 1970 to 2005 - 04/15/24 01:39 PM

I was talking to my grandma yesterday morning. She grew up in Kentucky and she told me they first got electricity in the house in 1949. Just lights, they still had no indoor plumbing and had to use an outhouse. She had one pair of shoes and was only allowed to wear them to school and church. The rest of the time she was barefoot (as long as there wasn't snow).

There was a sweet spot to have lived during or better yet grown-up in. I'd argue it was roughly 1970 to 2005. Maybe you could even drop it down to 1960. I picked 1970 because Airconditioning was commonplace by then. I'm talking about cushy happy lives with little chance of a violent death. After 2005 social media became common place and rates of depression and mental illness have skyrocketed, especially among young people. What says the OT? When was the best time to be alive?

[Linked Image]
Posted By: TexDawg

Re: The best time to be alive: 1970 to 2005 - 04/15/24 01:40 PM

Ouch
Posted By: TexDawg

Re: The best time to be alive: 1970 to 2005 - 04/15/24 01:41 PM

I was a teenager in the 70s, it was great as I remember
Posted By: RoadRunnerTR21

Re: The best time to be alive: 1970 to 2005 - 04/15/24 01:42 PM

That looks like a PITA roflmao
Posted By: Curt0407

Re: The best time to be alive: 1970 to 2005 - 04/15/24 01:57 PM

I may have started in the 60s on this. Only real downside was Vietnam. Best music ever with the evolution of modern rock. I grew up in the 60s and never had to worry about being assaulted or snatched off the streets. Fights between people involved fists, not guns.
Posted By: steveiam

Re: The best time to be alive: 1970 to 2005 - 04/15/24 02:03 PM

I believe as we pick and choose what the “best” time was, we should acknowledge the gift of simply BEING alive-
There are good things and bad things about anytime in the past and will be in the future-

I have lived since 1959, and lived in some great times-
Yes, many wonderful memories of the past-
But living NOW in these times I have benefited from modern medicine and prosthetics-
I am alive today because I am living now in these modern times-

Because I live in modern times I will be able to spend more time with those that I love and are able to help guide the young ones when they listen-
I have had the blessing to able to say things I almost didn’t get to say-

I have been given a second chance to live because I live with in these modern times-

So to sum things up, for me, I’m grateful that I lived in these modern times-
Posted By: grandbassslayer

Re: The best time to be alive: 1970 to 2005 - 04/15/24 02:04 PM

It’s like modern society is trying to relive the “good ole” days with all the rear end poking going on.
Posted By: CCTX

Re: The best time to be alive: 1970 to 2005 - 04/15/24 02:14 PM

I would also include ‘69.
Posted By: patriot07

Re: The best time to be alive: 1970 to 2005 - 04/15/24 02:16 PM

Originally Posted by steveiam
I believe as we pick and choose what the “best” time was, we should acknowledge the gift of simply BEING alive-
There are good things and bad things about anytime in the past and will be in the future-

But living NOW in these times I have benefited from modern medicine and prosthetics-

Because I live in modern times I will be able to spend more time with those that I love and are able to help guide the young ones when they listen-

I have been given a second chance to live because I live with in these modern times-

great post Steve

Re: The best time to be alive: 1970 to 2005 - 04/15/24 02:18 PM

Standard of living is at an all time high. The impoverished in the US have access to health care, air conditioning, and internet as well as food. All you have to do is stay off drugs and not be a felon and you can live a basic life for free courtesy the US taxpayer.

Re: The best time to be alive: 1970 to 2005 - 04/15/24 02:29 PM

Originally Posted by patriot07

great post Steve

Thank you sir-
Posted By: avid_basser

Re: The best time to be alive: 1970 to 2005 - 04/15/24 03:07 PM

Enough said! Great post Steve. Puts things into perspective.

Re: The best time to be alive: 1970 to 2005 - 04/15/24 03:19 PM

Originally Posted by avid_basser

Thank you my friend-
I know most of us have grandkids, and these modern times will be their “good old days”-

Re: The best time to be alive: 1970 to 2005 - 04/15/24 03:30 PM

Thank you my friend-
I know most of us have grandkids, and these modern times will be their “good old days”-

It's not clear to me that's true. I hear what you are saying, certainly modern medicine is a marvel. That said, for a lot of people, mental illness, depression, and economic hardship are at an all-time high.
Posted By: Bandit 200 XP

Re: The best time to be alive: 1970 to 2005 - 04/15/24 03:43 PM

I agree

Re: The best time to be alive: 1970 to 2005 - 04/15/24 03:43 PM

Originally Posted by Jpurdue

Thank you my friend-

It's not clear to me that's true. I hear what you are saying, certainly modern medicine is a marvel. That said, for a lot of people, mental illness, depression, and economic hardship are at an all-time high.

A am only an expert on my own life and am giving my own views-

I believe a person finds the life he/she is looking for-
Posted By: Bigbob_FTW

Re: The best time to be alive: 1970 to 2005 - 04/15/24 03:45 PM

the late 60's and the 70's was a great time to be a kid for sure. wouldn't want to be a kid today.
Posted By: Gusick

Re: The best time to be alive: 1970 to 2005 - 04/15/24 04:01 PM

The 60s and 70s had sex drugs, and rock and roll. Unlike the 80s and 90s, they weren't scared to death of catching AIDS.
Posted By: reeltexan

Re: The best time to be alive: 1970 to 2005 - 04/15/24 04:02 PM

I grew up in Texas, USA, in the sixties and seventies. The very best time to live. I had great parents, wonderful schools, security, great health, the great American culture and FREEDOM!!

I wouldn't trade with anyone.
Posted By: Clearwater7

Re: The best time to be alive: 1970 to 2005 - 04/15/24 04:04 PM

I think every generation looks back on the time when they grew up and remembers it as being better. Having said that, not sure most will say that about these last 4 years and what may or may not be ahead bolt
Posted By: Billy Blazer 300 HPDI

Re: The best time to be alive: 1970 to 2005 - 04/15/24 06:33 PM

If I recall the economy in the lake 60’s was pretty good, I was just a kid things weren’t bad. 70’s were good. Graduated high school in 74. We had a little bump in the 80’s with the oil bust, but it didn’t last too long 80’s were good. 90’s to about 2005 really good/great for me. Things started going downhill the last Bush year. Then Obama took it even further down. We had 4 dang good years with Trump even with Covid. Biden has ruined this country. I doubt Trump can fix its so screwed up. Heck, he’ll be lucky to stay out of jail made up charges.
Posted By: rj74955

Re: The best time to be alive: 1970 to 2005 - 04/15/24 08:01 PM

It has gone downhill ever since they stopped handing out quaaludes.
Posted By: Gusick

Re: The best time to be alive: 1970 to 2005 - 04/15/24 08:35 PM

I think now is the best time.
Posted By: Douglas J

Re: The best time to be alive: 1970 to 2005 - 04/15/24 08:47 PM

I say this every time, I am grateful you survived. cheers

Here’s to trying to be grateful for all of our blessings every day…

Re: The best time to be alive: 1970 to 2005 - 04/15/24 09:11 PM

Originally Posted by Jpurdue

Thank you my friend-

By what metric? As the standard of living has been raised dramatically you have people living in “economic hardship “ that would be the envy of the middle class 50 years ago.

Re: The best time to be alive: 1970 to 2005 - 04/15/24 09:13 PM

Originally Posted by Douglas J

I say this every time, I am grateful you survived. cheers

Here’s to trying to be grateful for all of our blessings every day…

Thanks Doug, appreciate you sir-
cheers
Posted By: The Searchers

Re: The best time to be alive: 1970 to 2005 - 04/15/24 09:15 PM

Originally Posted by Gusick
The 60s and 70s had sex drugs, and rock and roll. Unlike the 80s and 90s, they weren't scared to death of catching AIDS.

I bet not even those pills they advertise on the new HIV commercials woulda helped you in those bath houses you were rolling in.
Posted By: malibu6501

Re: The best time to be alive: 1970 to 2005 - 04/15/24 09:16 PM

My body is still pissed off at me.

Posted By: COFF

Re: The best time to be alive: 1970 to 2005 - 04/15/24 09:38 PM

I'd go back to late 1800's or early 1900's. Just my rifle, my pony and me.
Posted By: JCG57

Re: The best time to be alive: 1970 to 2005 - 04/15/24 09:44 PM

The 70s were a lost decade for the stock market and ended with crippling inflation and a recession. The 80s were much better.
Posted By: ko bass attack 27

Re: The best time to be alive: 1970 to 2005 - 04/15/24 09:54 PM

I'm grateful for everyday the good Lord gives me.
Posted By: Texan Til I Die

Re: The best time to be alive: 1970 to 2005 - 04/15/24 09:54 PM

One thing I don't miss from those times was the nationwide 55 mph speed limit. Took freakin FOREVER to get anywhere.
Posted By: Billy Blazer 300 HPDI

Re: The best time to be alive: 1970 to 2005 - 04/15/24 10:56 PM

Originally Posted by Texan Til I Die
One thing I don't miss from those times was the nationwide 55 mph speed limit. Took freakin FOREVER to get anywhere.

I forgot all about the speed limit back them. Especially when most os is we’re driving really fast cars back the, my trans am would fly.
Posted By: Bigbob_FTW

Re: The best time to be alive: 1970 to 2005 - 04/15/24 11:16 PM

Originally Posted by Texan Til I Die

That was horrible.
Posted By: HasBen

Re: The best time to be alive: 1970 to 2005 - 04/15/24 11:20 PM

I’m going with the 60’s and 70’s. Great cars, great music, no cell phones, computers, social media, or AIDS. Just a lot of freedom and fun.
Posted By: Dan21XRS

Re: The best time to be alive: 1970 to 2005 - 04/16/24 02:34 AM

I came of age in the late 70's early 80's... Had a great family, met a wonderful young lady... The best of times... Dan
Posted By: Westside.

Re: The best time to be alive: 1970 to 2005 - 04/16/24 02:40 AM

I live every day as my best life
Posted By: YEE_YEE

Re: The best time to be alive: 1970 to 2005 - 04/16/24 03:44 AM

There is only two to do I'm doing one and don't [censored] with me about the other
Posted By: Patriot Guard Rider

Re: The best time to be alive: 1970 to 2005 - 04/16/24 09:19 AM

Each of us have control over some of the things that make up your life. It's up to each of us to make the best of the situation you are in. Steve has done that. He woke up one day in what would be Hell for all of us, but he chose not to stay there, adapted to the situation he found himself in, and is working his way out of that now. He has The Attitude, and that is the one thing you can always control.
Posted By: Samsonsworld

Re: The best time to be alive: 1970 to 2005 - 04/16/24 10:49 AM

I just can't go with the 80's because of the stupid clothes we used to wear. I would serious burn any remaining pictures of zipper jackets and parachute pants. Music was pretty bad during that decade, with a few exceptions. I think 10's & 20's music is bad overall too. The 70's 90's and 2000's were all pretty good imo from a cultural point of view, up until Obama took office in 2009 and pushed for everyone to hate whitey.
Posted By: RoadRunnerTR21

Re: The best time to be alive: 1970 to 2005 - 04/16/24 11:11 AM

Had a bunch of good times in the back seat of my 65 Pontiac Bonneville in the 70's banana
Posted By: gregpaul

Re: The best time to be alive: 1970 to 2005 - 04/16/24 11:29 AM

Originally Posted by HasBen
I’m going with the 60’s and 70’s. Great cars, great music, no cell phones, computers, social media, or AIDS. Just a lot of freedom and fun.

And halter tops and $10 bags
Posted By: Ted Dyer

Re: The best time to be alive: 1970 to 2005 - 04/16/24 11:44 AM

Originally Posted by JCG57
The 70s were a lost decade for the stock market and ended with crippling inflation and a recession. The 80s were much better.

I think it’s more about your age than a particular decade. We tend to remember our younger years fondly because we were less aware, had less responsibility and felt bulletproof because we were vibrant. The post above is accurate even though it seems most remember the ‘70s as a happy carefree time. I clearly remember my father telling he really didn’t know how my generation was going to make the way the economy was going at that time. We were sitting in very long lines just hoping to get gas among other issues. It wasn’t all that great economically. Having said that, I was in my late teens and early 20’s during the 70s and sex and music was everywhere. 😀
Posted By: H2O Seeker

Re: The best time to be alive: 1970 to 2005 - 04/16/24 12:31 PM

That was a great era. Some of the best music came from that time frame too.

Re: The best time to be alive: 1970 to 2005 - 04/16/24 12:42 PM

Originally Posted by ko bass attack 27
I'm grateful for everyday the good Lord gives me.

Amen. I was thinking about long term plans the other day and caught myself not acknowledging the Lords will- maybe I won’t be around, etc.
Posted By: WAWI

Re: The best time to be alive: 1970 to 2005 - 04/16/24 12:45 PM

Originally Posted by rj74955
It has gone downhill ever since they stopped handing out quaaludes.

And the pharmacy grade x......

Re: The best time to be alive: 1970 to 2005 - 04/16/24 12:45 PM

Depression rates among adolescence (12-17) has doubled since social media has come on the scene.

https://www.afterbabel.com/p/international-mental-illness-part-one

[Linked Image]
Posted By: WAWI

Re: The best time to be alive: 1970 to 2005 - 04/16/24 12:54 PM

I know my kids have caused me to have major depression.......

Re: The best time to be alive: 1970 to 2005 - 04/16/24 01:14 PM

Originally Posted by Patriot Guard Rider

Each of us have control over some of the things that make up your life. It's up to each of us to make the best of the situation you are in. Steve has done that. He woke up one day in what would be Hell for all of us, but he chose not to stay there, adapted to the situation he found himself in, and is working his way out of that now. He has The Attitude, and that is the one thing you can always control.

cheers

Re: The best time to be alive: 1970 to 2005 - 04/16/24 01:18 PM

Originally Posted by Ted Dyer
Originally Posted by JCG57

I think it’s more about your age than a particular decade. We tend to remember our younger years fondly because we were less aware, had less responsibility and felt bulletproof because we were vibrant. The post above is accurate even though it seems most remember the ‘70s as a happy carefree time. I clearly remember my father telling he really didn’t know how my generation was going to make the way the economy was going at that time. We were sitting in very long lines just hoping to get gas among other issues. It wasn’t all that great economically. Having said that, I was in my late teens and early 20’s during the 70s and sex and music was everywhere. 😀

Not only long gas lines, but add to the lines the odd or even numbers of your license plate?

Dang those were some times for sure-
Posted By: Samsonsworld

Re: The best time to be alive: 1970 to 2005 - 04/16/24 01:58 PM

Originally Posted by WAWI
I know my kids have caused me to have major depression.......

I know the feeling. Can't seem to get the oldest out of the nest. bang
© 2024 Texas Fishing Forum