Texas Fishing Forum

Pool install starts

Posted By: malibu6501

Pool install starts - 04/11/24 12:31 AM

New process from B squared pools. First in this area. Not big. 12x24. Inground. Pools ain’t cheap. I went in thinking 30. Bumped to 40. Then 50. Looking at 70 drive out down here in Corpus area. Wife is happy. Ecstatic really. This one is cash. Maybe it will be Ok. You can get a nice sled for 70. Heck an X5. What would you burn 70 on for your old lady?
Posted By: TexDawg

Re: Pool install starts - 04/11/24 12:36 AM

Bless you sir. I heard they were closing in on a hundo, the extras like fountains or waterfalls really bump it quick. Ours was 40+ 20 years ago

Re: Pool install starts - 04/11/24 12:37 AM

Oh, I spent my soul on my old lady

Re: Pool install starts - 04/11/24 01:05 AM

True that. I guess I’ll document the process on here with some photos.
Posted By: BassFever

Re: Pool install starts - 04/11/24 01:15 AM

I couldn't give me first ex enough so I got rid of her and couldn't give number two enough so got rid of her and still couldn't give number three enough so I got rid of her. Now I give to ME, MYSELF and I.
Posted By: CCTX

Re: Pool install starts - 04/11/24 01:17 AM

I don’t know what’s going on, but I don’t like it, and prayers.

Re: Pool install starts - 04/11/24 01:23 AM

Putting in a pool.
Posted By: grandbassslayer

Re: Pool install starts - 04/11/24 01:33 AM

Just think either you or the next owner will pay to put dirt in that hole some day.😆
Posted By: Stump jumper

Re: Pool install starts - 04/11/24 01:35 AM

24' above ground here. Kept the kids happy and when I don't feel like maintaining it will come down. Best part was cost . Worse part is maintenance and cleaning. When it comes down I will repurpose steel to fix roof on shed at deer lease and scrap the remainder.
Posted By: Ghost4BH

Re: Pool install starts - 04/11/24 02:15 AM

We enjoy our pool. Get a good automatic cleaner, take water samples to the local pool store and they will help you stay on top of chemicals.
Posted By: ReelBusy

Our 16x32 was finished just after new years. By the time we added extra concrete and rock retaining walls and a patio we were 80 in. Been in several times, looking forward to summer.
Posted By: WAWI

Consider yourself lucky at 70......
Posted By: Bob Davis

Re: Pool install starts - 04/11/24 02:20 AM

A pool came with this house and land. We didn't go looking for one, but we have one now and it is nice. Haven't been in it yet. I had to climb the learning curve on the pumps and skimmers, etc.
We have a pool service that keeps the chemistry right and cleans it. weekly. The water temperature right now is 71°. Still a bit chilly for swimming.
Posted By: avid_basser

Re: Pool install starts - 04/11/24 02:33 AM

Our cover comes off this weekend and I'm doing the first Spring cleaning and filter flush. Let the pool parties begin!!!

Re: Pool install starts - 04/11/24 02:58 AM

Originally Posted by grandbassslayer
Just think either you or the next owner will pay to put dirt in that hole some day.😆
I hear you. Had one years ago. Sand filter. Tech has changed. Big cartridges with prefilter and a constant flow pump with chlorine feeder. Autovac. I’m sure I’ll still cuss it out though.
Posted By: ko bass attack 27

Re: Pool install starts - 04/11/24 03:19 AM

Had one and will never have another.
Posted By: Jon

Re: Pool install starts - 04/11/24 04:03 AM

Originally Posted by WAWI

I remember well your adventures with your pool. You should resurrect some of that comentary and pictures for your journey on that mission. For the new guys who may have missed out on that. I actually considered it epic.
Did you actually finally win that battle or did you wind up calling a truce? roflmao
Posted By: hopalong

Re: Pool install starts - 04/11/24 07:31 AM

Posted By: reeltexan

Re: Pool install starts - 04/11/24 11:33 AM

Bless your heart. Good luck!

Re: Pool install starts - 04/11/24 11:44 AM

Originally Posted by Jon

I remember well your adventures with your pool. You should resurrect some of that comentary and pictures for your journey on that mission. For the new guys who may have missed out on that. I actually considered it epic.
Did you actually finally win that battle or did you wind up calling a truce? roflmao

Lol I haven't seen the contractor ever again lol. It was a once in a lifetime pita. It was expensive af. I do enjoy it now. I will say this negotiate your pay schedule because they try and push a schedule that will get them 90 percent of their money long before they are 90 percent done. I had paid 90 percent and thanks to some rain him not moving along when we had a window a 6 week build turned into 7 months of hell with no fence and a giant mud pit for a back yard. The pool industry is like the wild west so best of luck with whoever you are using and their subs.

As to the subs get their contact info because there is a good chance you will never see the contractor again and it will make it easier when you need repairs, more rock work etc. My mistake was using a contractor based on a recent from my neighbor. I don't know where they found him but he wasn't local. They was a guy that literally lived a mile away that has built tons of pools in my area and was familiar with certain issues like the ground water table. As to price 9 years ago we went in planning on spending 90k I think 125k was the final number but I wrote so many checks its hard to say.
Posted By: Stump jumper

Re: Pool install starts - 04/11/24 11:49 AM

Neighbor installed one and the gunite truck busted up the edges of the driveway. I wonder if pool contractors put a clause in their contract that they are not responsible for damage to driveways.

Re: Pool install starts - 04/11/24 12:02 PM

Originally Posted by Stump jumper
Neighbor installed one and the gunite truck busted up the edges of the driveway. I wonder if pool contractors put a clause in their contract that they are not responsible for damage to driveways.

They pretty much aren't paying for anything they mess up. Things like that just happen basically. Sort of like when they drilling holes for the rebar to attach new patio pour to slab and hit a water line...... also there are probably gonna be things you don't think about like you are gonna redo your sprinkler in your back yard..... in fact you are gonna redo your whole back yard lol.

Re: Pool install starts - 04/11/24 12:13 PM

Our pool digging began in October 2004, finished DIGGING it in February 2005. This area received a lot of rain that fall/winter and kept postponing it. It was a bit stressful
Posted By: Dan90210 ☮

Re: Pool install starts - 04/11/24 01:19 PM

Get her this for 8k. Be done in a week. Hop could do it in 12 hours.

If she uses it regularly for a year, you can consider something inground.

[Linked Image]

Re: Pool install starts - 04/11/24 01:23 PM

I think I'm in pretty good shape. My guy is local, and he's the owner and contractor. He and his crew, which is one crew, finish a job before they start another. He works on the job with his crew. Right now, they are finishing up a job in Port A, and then I'm next. Somebody is coming out today or tomorrow to check for any buried lines, of which there are none. It's supposed to be about a 5 week build with a 15% weekly payout after the 15 down, which I've already paid, and then a 5% final payment. He has the permits in hand and will start in about a week. I also have a 12' gate for him to get into the backyard with a 30 ft. easement around the pool area. No overhead lines or trees in the way. Water and electricity are all close by. He said he normally has to work around all kinds of obstacles. Here's his website: https://poolsbydcdesign.com

Re: Pool install starts - 04/11/24 02:07 PM

Concrete trucks aren’t liable for damage to driveways/yards, etc- they make you sign off on it. Think about it- residential driveways aren’t build to a standard that will hold a concrete truck/dump truck, etc.

Re: Pool install starts - 04/11/24 02:09 PM

I had no idea pool contractors get paid on a timeline schedule- any construction I’ve ever been involved in you got paid based on actual progress- not time.
Posted By: n2ratfishin

Re: Pool install starts - 04/11/24 02:18 PM

My wife was relentless about a pool at our last house. I thought helping the neighbours with their pool upkeep and getting to use it anytime we wanted was the best pool ever LOL. We started looking for a one story house with a pool here in TN 8 years ago. 6 years ago we found it and bought. This house has a 16x40 lazy L. It's a fairly large pool with at least 30' of concrete on one side and four feet on the far side. I had to get all kinds of stuff repaired when we moved in (pool built in the 90's) but in the end we use the pool WAY more than I thought we would. It's work getting it open because of my neighbours huge trees dropping junk when the wind blows this way. Other than keeping an eye on salt and PH once it's up and running I just throw in a robot vacuum a couple times each week and enjoy. I had about 1/3 of the back yard covered with outdoor Lay Z Boy recliners and a 55" TV rolling on a big outdoor stand. It's nice to float and watch fall football or a movie on a summer night. Of course the grand babies love coming for a dip.

I'll need a liner (too much sandstone and sink holes here for gunite) in the next couple of years but we've saved for a replacement. It cost us about 600.00 a year to have it professionally closed and covered in the fall and reopened in the spring. A heater extends the season here about a month on either side of summer.

P.S. Go ahead and get brass inserts for ladders etc...because most pool companies price cheap aluminium. [Linked Image]

Re: Pool install starts - 04/11/24 02:19 PM

Originally Posted by malibu6501
I think I'm in pretty good shape. My guy is local, and he's the owner and contractor. He and his crew, which is one crew, finish a job before they start another. He works on the job with his crew. Right now, they are finishing up a job in Port A, and then I'm next. Somebody is coming out today or tomorrow to check for any buried lines, of which there are none. It's supposed to be about a 5 week build with a 15% weekly payout after the 15 down, which I've already paid, and then a 5% final payment. He has the permits in hand and will start in about a week. I also have a 12' gate for him to get into the backyard with a 30 ft. easement around the pool area. No overhead lines or trees in the way. Water and electricity are all close by. He said he normally has to work around all kinds of obstacles. Here's his website: https://poolsbydcdesign.com

i doubt its just his crew. i dont know any that dont sub out large portions of the work. now they probably have normal subs they use but its for sure not all his crews....
Posted By: reelfast

Re: Pool install starts - 04/11/24 02:42 PM

Huge waste of time and money!! After about 15 years the gunite will start coming off because of all the chemicals. Then it clogs filters. 10/12 grand to regunite . Now I mow it.

Re: Pool install starts - 04/11/24 03:09 PM

i doubt its just his crew. i dont know any that dont sub out large portions of the work. now they probably have normal subs they use but its for sure not all his crews....

I can see him subbing out parts of it, like the electrical, excavation and landscaping, but I think the actual pool, plumbing and concrete work is all him and his crew. He said they have been with him for something like 12 years or so. Anyway, I pointed one of my cameras to that part of the yard, so I can record the process.

Re: Pool install starts - 04/11/24 03:23 PM

Originally Posted by reelfast
Huge waste of time and money!! After about 15 years the gunite will start coming off because of all the chemicals. Then it clogs filters. 10/12 grand to regunite . Now I mow it.

This is a 100% polypropylene copolymer material that forms the frame which is then lined with Renolit Alkorplan. It's relatively new to the US but has been in Europe and Australia for awhile. I think Renolit is based in Germany. I'm the guinea pig for South Texas.

Re: Pool install starts - 04/11/24 03:25 PM

Man good luck with your pool.

I know what its like to spend a ton of money on something, be excited for it, have it be something you really want, and then have all your boys chit on the thing you are excited about...

yeah buddy, I got married.
Posted By: tmd11111

Re: Pool install starts - 04/11/24 04:18 PM

New process from B squared pools. First in this area. Not big. 12x24. Inground. Pools ain’t cheap. I went in thinking 30. Bumped to 40. Then 50. Looking at 70 drive out down here in Corpus area. Wife is happy. Ecstatic really. This one is cash. Maybe it will be Ok. You can get a nice sled for 70. Heck an X5. What would you burn 70 on for your old lady?

About 3 years ago wife wanted a pool. We decided on on outdoor kitchen with a hot tub instead. Was a little north of $70k after all said and done. Thing is we can use it year round.

Re: Pool install starts - 04/11/24 10:34 PM

I had no idea pool contractors get paid on a timeline schedule- any construction I’ve ever been involved in you got paid based on actual progress- not time.

It's not really on a time schedule. It's divided by progress, which he said will take about a week each to complete. Payment one: Install pool shell Pay two: Install pool interior Pay three: Pour concrete deck Pay four: Install plaster or membrane and coping Final payment: Project completion
Posted By: HasBen

Re: Pool install starts - 04/11/24 10:49 PM

I have a love hate relationship with our pool. It is an old school pool that was built 40 years ago when our house was built. It is 45,000 gallon pool with a 10 ft depth and a diving board. We have updated the equipment over the years, changed to a salt system about 12 years ago, and have had it replastered and retiled twice. We have never had any issues with the gunite and only replastered to keep it smooth. But, it is the focal point of the back yard and the gathering place for family and friends every summer. 4 kids and 9 grandkids seem to love it, so we kind of like it too.
Posted By: PondFish

Re: Pool install starts - 04/11/24 11:14 PM

12 X 24 is pretty good size. How deep?? Total gallonage in volume is a big factor in maintaining.

Re: Pool install starts - 04/11/24 11:33 PM

52" end to end
Posted By: Happykamper

Re: Pool install starts - 04/12/24 12:05 AM

Concrete trucks aren’t liable for damage to driveways/yards, etc- they make you sign off on it. Think about it- residential driveways aren’t build to a standard that will hold a concrete truck/dump truck, etc.

Dam right ! thumb
Posted By: Happykamper

Re: Pool install starts - 04/12/24 12:09 AM

If he is installing a fiberglass or liner pool he may be doing the majority of the work, he has to have a license for the electrical but other than that a small crew could install one of these type pools, now if you talking about a gunite pool I doubt he is doing all the work unless he is a really big builder.

Re: Pool install starts - 04/12/24 12:25 AM

Here's where it's going. White flags. Back fence is about a 1/2 mile from the bay. Pay flood but worth it for the SE breeze coming up the back yard. Gets hot down here you know.
[Linked Image]
[Linked Image]

Re: Pool install starts - 04/17/24 10:33 PM

It’s now an official job site. Digging starts Monday. [Linked Image]
Posted By: butch sanders

Re: Pool install starts - 04/17/24 11:30 PM

Originally Posted by Dan90210 ☮

[Linked Image]

I would love this

Re: Pool install starts - 04/17/24 11:56 PM

Originally Posted by butch sanders

[Linked Image]

I would love this

Same, and it was a definite consideration.
Posted By: Duke 22

Re: Pool install starts - 04/18/24 12:04 AM

I feel your pain... [Linked Image]
[Linked Image]

Re: Pool install starts - 04/18/24 12:04 AM

Originally Posted by Bob Davis
A pool came with this house and land. We didn't go looking for one, but we have one now and it is nice. Haven't been in it yet. I had to climb the learning curve on the pumps and skimmers, etc.
We have a pool service that keeps the chemistry right and cleans it. weekly. The water temperature right now is 71°. Still a bit chilly for swimming.

holler at me when the hot tub opens.

Re: Pool install starts - 04/18/24 12:08 AM

[Linked Image]

deck in 12 hrs, the damn pool would take forever. cost plus too, DUDE!

Re: Pool install starts - 04/18/24 12:11 AM

better do it this way, you and contractor work out a schedule for completion and percentages based on amount of work done.

pay ahead and you are on your own.

Re: Pool install starts - 04/18/24 12:12 AM

I hope to heck you insisted on a 15% or more retainage, without that you are asking for trouble no matter how above board the contractor seems.

think subs.
Posted By: Coach Hark

Re: Pool install starts - 04/18/24 12:15 AM

Congrats on your pool, don’t let the naysayers on here chit on your happiness. That’s why I try not to post things that I’m excited about. I don’t want to hear all the negativity and raining on my parade. I hope you and the family enjoy the hell out of your pool.
Posted By: reeltexan

Re: Pool install starts - 04/18/24 12:16 AM

Best of luck.
Come back in twenty years and fill us in.
Posted By: Sawhorse

Re: Pool install starts - 04/18/24 12:30 AM

I’m not sure if Westside loves pools or not.
Posted By: CCTX

Re: Pool install starts - 04/18/24 12:39 AM

Big fan of the high dive from what I hear.

Re: Pool install starts - 04/18/24 12:55 AM

Originally Posted by Coach Hark
Congrats on your pool, don’t let the naysayers on here chit on your happiness. That’s why I try not to post things that I’m excited about. I don’t want to hear all the negativity and raining on my parade. I hope you and the family enjoy the hell out of your pool.

Thanks Coach. Just sharing a build. I didn't know it would grow legs in that direction. If anyone wants to know more about it, just send a message. It's a new process and might save you some money if you are planning on a pool. Later.
Posted By: Bob Davis

Re: Pool install starts - 04/18/24 02:11 AM

Originally Posted by hopalong
Originally Posted by Bob Davis

holler at me when the hot tub opens.

roflmao Will do!
Posted By: Flip Flop Fisher

Re: Pool install starts - 04/18/24 02:46 PM

all time great move imo

swimming pool puts everyone in a better mood, plus the perfect spot to entertain

keep us posted with pics please
Posted By: Flip Flop Fisher

Re: Pool install starts - 04/18/24 02:47 PM

you can overcome the challenges
Posted By: BlueNitro

Re: Pool install starts - 04/18/24 06:05 PM

What does a 'Pool' and a 'Woman' have in common?

They both are very costly to maintain considering the time that you spend in them.

Re: Pool install starts - 04/18/24 06:16 PM

How long does it take start to finish if they had no delays for weather or what not?

Is it a 30 day project or 90 or??
Posted By: Sawhorse

Re: Pool install starts - 04/18/24 06:20 PM

How long does it take start to finish if they had no delays for weather or what not?

Is it a 30 day project or 90 or??

I was once told that “if they have no delays, it will take about 6 months. If they have delays, it will probably be more like half of a year.”
© 2024 Texas Fishing Forum