Texas Fishing Forum

Lowes rant

Posted By: JCBYEN

Lowes rant - 04/05/24 12:43 AM

They've lost their minds! Went for my (wife's) annual pallet of garden soil (on sale) and they're now charging a $16 deposit on the damn pallet. So I said "so I have to make another trip here just to drop the pallet back at the door? He then said "you have to go to the Customer Service counter." bang
Posted By: Sawhorse

Re: Lowes rant - 04/05/24 12:51 AM

Originally Posted by JCBYEN
They've lost their minds! Went for my (wife's) annual pallet of garden soil (on sale) and they're now charging a $16 deposit on the damn pallet. So I said "so I have to make another trip here just to drop the pallet back at the door? He then said "you have to go to the Customer Service counter." bang

I’ve wanted them to do this for a long time.

We have a war going on with global warming. The carbon footprint created by making pallets is about the same as the carbon footprint left by a leaf blower used for one whole growing season. Why send a perfectly good pallet to the landfill when it can be re-used several times?

I wanted to add: Sometimes Customer Service people spend company time jacking around on their smartphones. That is basically like stealing time. If people are forced to return pallets and do it thru the Customer Service Dept., it will help save the planet AND give these CS time thieves something to do.
Posted By: DanDaBald

Re: Lowes rant - 04/05/24 12:51 AM

Core charge . . . .
Posted By: The Searchers

Re: Lowes rant - 04/05/24 12:54 AM

Originally Posted by Sawhorse

We have a war going on with global warming. The carbon footprint created by making pallets is about the same as the carbon footprint left by a leaf blower used for one whole growing season. Why send a perfectly good pallet to the landfill when it can be re-used several times?

Yes. And thank you for doing what you do.
It’s not easy to stand up against people that are against green earth
Posted By: grout-scout

Re: Lowes rant - 04/05/24 12:54 AM

I wish I could sell those suckers for $16, I’d actually have a profitable year.

Re: Lowes rant - 04/05/24 12:57 AM

Originally Posted by The Searchers

Thanks for your support! I’m doing it for my grandkids and their pets and stuff.
Posted By: hopalong

Re: Lowes rant - 04/05/24 01:10 AM

I wanted to add: Sometimes Customer Service people spend company time jacking around on their smartphones. That is basically like stealing time. If people are forced to return pallets and do it thru the Customer Service Dept., it will help save the planet AND give these CS time thieves something to do.

about milemarker 140 on I30 there is a pallet recycling facility, if it ever catches fire you will see it from the moon. well maybe not the moon but for a pretty damn long way.

might want to check in to solar eclipse seating? just a thought.
Posted By: grandbassslayer

Re: Lowes rant - 04/05/24 01:14 AM

Lowe’s lets me take one home every year when I get mulch for no charge, I bring it back anyways when I’m done- why would I want to keep a pallet. Years ago Home Depot tried that core charge on me for a pallet when buying a full pallet of paver stone. I told them “no thanks, go ahead and load it in my truck piece by piece “ well they dropped the pallet fee real quick.
Posted By: Gusick

Re: Lowes rant - 04/05/24 01:16 AM

Pallets should be free. If I were king, I would put it in the constitution.

Re: Lowes rant - 04/05/24 01:21 AM

Originally Posted by Gusick
Pallets should be free. If I were king, I would put it in the constitution.

[Linked Image]
Posted By: reeltexan

Re: Lowes rant - 04/05/24 01:29 AM

No big deal. Relax.
Posted By: steveiam

Re: Lowes rant - 04/05/24 01:34 AM

They used to do this with coke bottles, you know, before recycling was the cool thing to do-

Re: Lowes rant - 04/05/24 01:42 AM

Originally Posted by The Searchers

Thanks for your support! I’m doing it for my grandkids and their pets and stuff.

Silly! The pallet wouldn't go to the landfill, it would be used by me. So I have to drive another 20 miles to return the damn pallet...thus burning gas and adding to the pollution!
Posted By: BassFever

Re: Lowes rant - 04/05/24 01:42 AM

Seems pretty simple to me. Load it all into your vehicle and leave the pallets behind or do the rebate thing.
Posted By: kjwolvy

Re: Lowes rant - 04/05/24 02:52 AM

My customers wont take pallets when I offer. They want me to hand load 50 bags of feed into their pickup. Good grief, your a hillbilly. Burn it, bury it, blow it up. Take the stupid pallet.
Posted By: Uncle Zeek

Re: Lowes rant - 04/05/24 03:37 AM

I pick up pallets from around town to use as firewood in wintertime. They burn prettily
Posted By: Stump jumper

Re: Lowes rant - 04/05/24 03:44 AM

Originally Posted by Uncle Zeek
I pick up pallets from around town to use as firewood in wintertime. They burn prettily

In the tile business we used oak pallets. Tile is heavy stuff. Watching a pallet fail 20' up in a warehouse rack is not a good thing. Even worse if opening up a container and finding tile in piles.
Posted By: Duke 22

Re: Lowes rant - 04/05/24 03:56 AM

Lowes suck hard and long, at least ours does.
Posted By: Gusick

Re: Lowes rant - 04/05/24 03:58 AM

When I was in high school, there was a place that would buy them for $3. I liberated them from every loading dock in town for gas money.
Posted By: CCTX

Re: Lowes rant - 04/05/24 04:03 AM

The week after Christmas behind most super Walmarts; there are enough pallets to build a 3000 sq foot house.
Posted By: MBradford

Re: Lowes rant - 04/05/24 04:10 AM

Back in the day when we had keg parties at the lake, we would send a couple of guys with pickups around to all of the grocery stores to gather pallets for the bonfire.
Posted By: Quillback

Re: Lowes rant - 04/05/24 11:54 AM

Pallets make good fish habitat.

Re: Lowes rant - 04/05/24 12:01 PM

^^^
This is correct.

Screw them together in an L shape with 4 inch wood screws.

Then cut a bunch of irrigation tubing into 3 foot lengths and screw those into the top of the teepee.

Takes a lot to sink two pallets screwed together. Three cinder blocks or two very heavy rocks.
Posted By: outfishdya

Re: Lowes rant - 04/05/24 12:04 PM

This is a well thought out and reasonable response. Some folks just come to TFFOT to make outlandish claims and snarky commemts. You on the other hand always offer a fresh view. I solute you Mr S awhorse.... making this place better 1 post at a time.
I have a used up pellet grill I would like to give you if you want to come pick it up.

Re: Lowes rant - 04/05/24 12:09 PM

The best pallets for brush piles are those really thick ones they use for appliances/freezers/fridges.

Now, it takes about seven cinder blocks or four heavy rocks to sink two of those teepee screwed together.
Posted By: SoonerDG

Re: Lowes rant - 04/05/24 02:15 PM

Tell them that in that case you don't want the pallet and they can offload the soil into your truck and keep the pallet.
Posted By: BrandoA

Re: Lowes rant - 04/05/24 02:58 PM

Originally Posted by grandbassslayer

Lowe’s lets me take one home every year when I get mulch for no charge, I bring it back anyways when I’m done- why would I want to keep a pallet. Years ago Home Depot tried that core charge on me for a pallet when buying a full pallet of paver stone. I told them “no thanks, go ahead and load it in my truck piece by piece “ well they dropped the pallet fee real quick.

This is how I always handle it and never paid a pallet fee

Re: Lowes rant - 04/05/24 03:00 PM

ask them if a military discount applies to the pallet charge.
Posted By: T Bird

Re: Lowes rant - 04/05/24 06:38 PM

Customer inconvenience at it's best.
Posted By: Oldrabbit

Re: Lowes rant - 04/05/24 06:41 PM

Originally Posted by steveiam
They used to do this with coke bottles, you know, before recycling was the cool thing to do-

When I worked at Safeway back in the early 70's they did that with the Cragmont soft drinks. The arriving truck would be unloaded, then we would load up the empty bottles and compressed cardboard for the return trip to the warehouse. Dang truck was headed back there anyway.
The Coke delivery guy would deliver a new load and pick up their empties to take back to be washed and refiled. Funny how recycling became too expensive for glass but now they want us to do it with wood and plastic.
Posted By: grandbassslayer

Re: Lowes rant - 04/05/24 07:39 PM

Originally Posted by Oldrabbit

When I worked at Safeway back in the early 70's they did that with the Cragmont soft drinks. The arriving truck would be unloaded, then we would load up the empty bottles and compressed cardboard for the return trip to the warehouse. Dang truck was headed back there anyway.
The Coke delivery guy would deliver a new load and pick up their empties to take back to be washed and refiled. Funny how recycling became too expensive for glass but now they want us to do it with wood and plastic.

Nothing like a Coca Cola in a cold glass bottle.
Posted By: malibu6501

Re: Lowes rant - 04/05/24 08:01 PM

Originally Posted by grandbassslayer
Originally Posted by Oldrabbit

Nothing like a Coca Cola in a cold glass bottle.

Or a Big Red. Opa would take us cousins to a place above the Cibolo when we were kids in his old International pick up. He'd buy us all a cold drink. Sometimes we'd put peanuts in the Dr. Peppers. That was around 60 years ago. Sorry to derail. The Coke in glass bottle triggered the memory.

Re: Lowes rant - 04/05/24 08:25 PM

Originally Posted by outfishdya
This is a well thought out and reasonable response. Some folks just come to TFFOT to make outlandish claims and snarky commemts. You on the other hand always offer a fresh view. I solute you Mr S awhorse.... making this place better 1 post at a time.
I have a used up pellet grill I would like to give you if you want to come pick it up.

Hey man, thanks a lot! I don’t use grills, I’m guessing you know why, but the offer is appreciated.

BTW, there’s no empirical data to support my leaf blower vs pallet production carbon footprint comment…it was just my estimate. I’m usually pretty accurate with that, so I’ll stand by it.

Have a great Easter!

Re: Lowes rant - 04/06/24 09:25 PM

Originally Posted by hopalong
ask them if a military discount applies to the pallet charge.

It actually did!

Re: Lowes rant - 04/06/24 09:27 PM

Originally Posted by T Bird
Customer inconvenience at it's best.

Yes, this is what I was getting at.
© 2024 Texas Fishing Forum