Texas Fishing Forum

High end dog food?

Posted By: Rescue Fire

High end dog food? - 12/04/23 12:17 AM

Any of you dog owners feeding your dog anything high end? What brand? How has your dog done on it?
Posted By: ReelBusy

Re: High end dog food? - 12/04/23 12:30 AM

I tried several (Blue Buff, Wild, Canidae, Merrick, Victor, Muenster) and settled on Science Diet Chicken and Barley. Both dogs seem to do well on it. Hill's has fewer recalls too.
Posted By: Billy Blazer 300 HPDI

Re: High end dog food? - 12/04/23 12:30 AM

Purina Pro ain’t cheap. I think we feed chicken and rice to Hank the not fat 32.7 pound standard Dachshund. He’s just big.

It’s about as expensive as any high end I’d guess. Only have we feed hank 1/2 cup in the morning and same at night. I think it’s 67 for. 40 pounds.
Posted By: H2O Seeker

Re: High end dog food? - 12/04/23 12:32 AM

Had been using Victor until the Ecoli breakout at their manufacturing site. Dogs really did well on it. Still searching for a replacement.
Posted By: cocodrie

Re: High end dog food? - 12/04/23 12:36 AM

At one point I tried high end dog food, then I decided for that price I could just make my own. Have had some luck with Eukanuba and Tractor Supply actually has a decent house brand, the grain free.
Posted By: Duke 22

Re: High end dog food? - 12/04/23 12:36 AM

Our Lab's get Hills Science Diet, it's not cheap but they are 4 and 5yrs. old and in great health. YMMV
Posted By: RayBob

Re: High end dog food? - 12/04/23 12:43 AM

After researching quality foods I went with the TSC house brand ... Taste of the Wild. One dog developed hot spots after a while and they both scratched a lot. Changed over to Blue Buffalo. Switch flavors to keep themk interested. Been on that for a couple of years and they're doing well with it.

Re: High end dog food? - 12/04/23 12:44 AM

Rooster been on Hill’s Science Diet chicken and barley ever since we got her from SPCA. Other than beef and a few other cuts of meat, it’s all she has ever eaten since Nov 2016.
Posted By: Duck_Hunter

Re: High end dog food? - 12/04/23 12:45 AM

What do you mean by high end?
Posted By: Hard Rain

Re: High end dog food? - 12/04/23 12:46 AM

Fromm from Hollywood Feed is what we feed our Cavalier he loves it and a 5 star rated kibble. It would be pretty pricey to feed Fromm to a larger breed.

Re: High end dog food? - 12/04/23 12:48 AM

Originally Posted by Duck_Hunter
What do you mean by high end?

I guess I was just talking about the stuff that you can’t get at the regular grocery store.
Posted By: Fishspanker

Re: High end dog food? - 12/04/23 12:56 AM

Blue Basic ingredients. Salmon based. We have been feeding it to our dogs for about 5 years. Our Shiz Tzu had an allergy to chicken. Her ears would have constant issue with black gook coming out and her itching them frequently. Move to this totally ended that. Took a number of years to figure out the chicken issue. Finally a vet recommended changing foods.

Freeze dried is the newest high end. Some of it is more than a Prime Steak per pound.

Pretty hilarious they call it Basic Ingredient. Some stuff you see in the so-called “clean” energy drinks.

[Linked Image]
Posted By: Notaguide

Re: High end dog food? - 12/04/23 01:02 AM

I buy the 25 dollar Tractor Supply 50 lb bags because I'm rollin
Posted By: 9094

Re: High end dog food? - 12/04/23 01:13 AM

We feed Merrick. It is the best dry food I’ve ever feed. It is expensive though.
Posted By: Sawhorse

Re: High end dog food? - 12/04/23 01:14 AM

We feed our dogs meat from other dogs. They have no idea what it is but they like it.
Posted By: Jonah's View

Re: High end dog food? - 12/04/23 01:16 AM

Been feeding raw food, basically La-machine animal/chicken in a frozen bag...LOL... blood, bones, meat... then we crack a raw egg on it a few times a week... she is doing real well on it ! her coat is super soft, blood work comes back all in perfect levels... and un like the big logs they make eating standard kibble, her poop looks just like coyote poop... LOL

https://www.wefeedraw.com

thumb
Posted By: The Searchers

Re: High end dog food? - 12/04/23 04:46 AM

I think Diamond feed is the best you can buy.
Use to feed a yard full of hounds years back and even though it’s expensive, you don’t need much.
On hand full a day for a dog up to 60lbs and the will only chit once a day.
I usually had kennels so it was easy clean up and their coats will shine too.
Posted By: racing75

Re: High end dog food? - 12/04/23 11:06 AM

Next Level dog food should be coming out soon. They make it at the new plant between Mt Pleasant and Pittsburg. May be available at the feed store in Pittsburg, I’m not sure.
Posted By: AmpedUp

Re: High end dog food? - 12/04/23 12:26 PM

our dogs seem to like Pedigree just as good as Blue Buffalo woot
Posted By: MBarger

Re: High end dog food? - 12/04/23 12:53 PM

We feed Purina Pro Plan Sensitive Skin & Stomach. Our dog has done really well on it, especially in regard to skin allergies. We fed the Hills Science Diet variety before that, but he seems to like the Purina better.
Posted By: Pinkus

Re: High end dog food? - 12/05/23 03:27 AM

Originally Posted by Hard Rain
Fromm from Hollywood Feed is what we feed our Cavalier he loves it and a 5 star rated kibble. It would be pretty pricey to feed Fromm to a larger breed.

We feed Fromm also, it’s pricey… I don’t think the dogs know a difference between the cheap stuff and the expensive stuff, but my wife(a groomer) seems to think so and is a dog food snob..
Posted By: lconn4

Re: High end dog food? - 12/05/23 05:17 AM

[Linked Image]

Whatever is the cheapest for 3,650 pounds a year.
Posted By: ACAMS

Re: High end dog food? - 12/05/23 05:23 AM

My dog is spoiled rotten, she demands Fresh Pet ..... I don't know if it is high end,but it cost aplenty!

https://www.google.com/url?sa=i&...mp;ust=1701840135029581&opi=89978449
Posted By: Gusick

Re: High end dog food? - 12/05/23 05:31 AM

One of my dogs eats an organic gluten free lobster based dogfood, but my other dog can't have it because she has a shell fish allergy.
Posted By: YEE_YEE

Re: High end dog food? - 12/05/23 05:32 AM

Well I don't know what high end dog food is. Last dog Wired Hair Fox Terrier feed IAMS for 16 years new Blue Heeler gets Blue Buffalo .
Posted By: RickS.

Re: High end dog food? - 12/05/23 11:39 AM

Our German Shepherd gets Pro Plan sensitive skin and stomach. Salmon. It runs about $100 for a 34 pund bag. She does just fine on it.
Posted By: Bandit 200 XP

Re: High end dog food? - 12/05/23 11:48 AM

We went to Fromm after the big recall of dog foods , so far so good. They love to eat anyway
Posted By: spazm09

Re: High end dog food? - 12/05/23 02:31 PM

Originally Posted by lconn4
[Linked Image]

That's a lot of pets...
Posted By: ReelBusy

Re: High end dog food? - 12/05/23 02:55 PM

One man's pet is another man's pest. 10#s a day, that's a lot of food Iconn!
Posted By: The Searchers

Re: High end dog food? - 12/05/23 03:57 PM

Originally Posted by lconn4
[Linked Image]

Old Roy
Posted By: ko bass attack 27

Re: High end dog food? - 12/05/23 03:59 PM

Our Schnauzers seem to do best with Science Diet.
© 2024 Texas Fishing Forum