5 0ut of 33 seniors will be eligiable to graduate at Mart High School,
Posted By: TexDawg

Re: 5 0ut of 33 - 05/24/23 05:54 PM

Grades or something else?
Posted By: champ 206

Re: 5 0ut of 33 - 05/24/23 05:59 PM

Originally Posted by TexDawg
Grades or something else?

I do not know how to post article,Ktre news lufkin tx. Grades and lack of attendance.
Posted By: HasBen

Re: 5 0ut of 33 - 05/24/23 06:00 PM

I saw that. Seems a little late to be auditing the grades.

https://www.ktre.com/2023/05/24/mar...ly-5-33-seniors-found-eligible-graduate/
Posted By: OkAce

Re: 5 0ut of 33 - 05/24/23 06:01 PM

Coach will be along shortly to talk up the public education system down that way
Posted By: gdr_11

Re: 5 0ut of 33 - 05/24/23 06:04 PM

I had a friend who always bragged about buying up houses in Mart to build his rental portfolio. Most of his purchases were less than $50K. I used to call him a slum lord. Those graduation rates probably reflect the tough economic times in that little town.
Posted By: Mark Perry

Re: 5 0ut of 33 - 05/24/23 06:04 PM

Seems a fair amount of tbis is happening this year.some articles are saying lot of is a result of the COVID restrictions hurting the educational process.
Posted By: SteezMacQueen

Re: 5 0ut of 33 - 05/24/23 06:06 PM

Originally Posted by Mark Perry
Seems a fair amount of tbis is happening this year.some articles are saying lot of is a result of the COVID restrictions hurting the educational process.

This. A lot of kids and parents are not disciplined enough to effectively home school.
Posted By: Flip Flop Fisher

Re: 5 0ut of 33 - 05/24/23 06:07 PM

sounds like this school is holding students accountable for attendance

many kids miss 20, 30, 40 days of school or more...to get around what this school is doing, schools now offer "make up school" and Saturday school..so you can go to school on Saturday and make up 8 absences
Posted By: TexDawg

Re: 5 0ut of 33 - 05/24/23 06:10 PM

Ok, Marlin hs not Mart.
Posted By: Canino

Re: 5 0ut of 33 - 05/24/23 06:15 PM

Originally Posted by OkAce
Coach will be along shortly to talk up the public education system down that way

As long as they won their football games, nothing else matters.
Posted By: crankn101

Re: 5 0ut of 33 - 05/24/23 06:22 PM

Originally Posted by SteezMacQueen

This. A lot of kids and parents are not disciplined enough to effectively home school.

Im not disagreeing, but...The new version is of "home schooling" is internet based and very interactive with teachers and other students. I do understand some people still do it the old school way

Re: 5 0ut of 33 - 05/24/23 06:23 PM

Two good examples of modern homeschooling...

https://www.aop.com/

https://www.abeka.com/HomeSchool/
Posted By: MBradford

Re: 5 0ut of 33 - 05/24/23 06:25 PM

Originally Posted by champ 206

Eligible*

Re: 5 0ut of 33 - 05/24/23 06:26 PM

Originally Posted by crankn101

Im not disagreeing, but...The new version is of "home schooling" is internet based and very interactive with teachers and other students. I do understand some people still do it the old school way

Both of my kids home schooled from 7th grade to graduation. It is somewhat interactive, but not as much as you may think.

This was also 10-15 years ago.
Posted By: ReelBusy

Re: 5 0ut of 33 - 05/24/23 06:34 PM

Originally Posted by Canino

Makes you wonder how they kept their players eligible...

Re: 5 0ut of 33 - 05/24/23 06:36 PM

Originally Posted by ReelBusy
Originally Posted by Canino

Makes you wonder how they kept their players eligible...

Day momma said day was passin

Re: 5 0ut of 33 - 05/24/23 06:41 PM

Originally Posted by crankn101

Both of my kids home schooled from 7th grade to graduation. It is somewhat interactive, but not as much as you may think.

This was also 10-15 years ago.

My daughter was as well, I only have personal experience with the Alpha Omega program and friends have used the Abeka one and seemed to like that one as well.

Re: 5 0ut of 33 - 05/24/23 06:42 PM

I bet these kids know all about gender studies and tranny stuff..
Posted By: BlueNitro

Re: 5 0ut of 33 - 05/24/23 07:24 PM

I bet the parents of the five are glad they won't have to wait on the 28 other kids names to be called so they can get the heck out of there and head to Chilis'.
Posted By: rj74955

Re: 5 0ut of 33 - 05/24/23 07:40 PM

That’s about how many girls weren’t knocked up in my graduating class.
Posted By: deerfeeder

Re: 5 0ut of 33 - 05/24/23 07:51 PM

https://www.abeka.com/HomeSchool/

That's what daughter #3 uses for her kids. I looked at it fairly closely and thought it was pretty good. Grandson is 8 and has an adult vocabulary, and I'm not talking cussin'.
Posted By: Allison1

Re: 5 0ut of 33 - 05/24/23 07:52 PM

I wonder if the admin knew about this all along and its just now coming up.
Surely the kids should have known what their requirements were and what they needed to do to graduate.

When we were in school our report cards in our senior year showed us what we needed to do to graduate.
Posted By: T Bird

Re: 5 0ut of 33 - 05/24/23 07:54 PM

Marlin demographic's may help shed a little light on the topic.

https://worldpopulationreview.com/us-cities/marlin-tx-population
Posted By: Razorback

Re: 5 0ut of 33 - 05/24/23 08:20 PM

Originally Posted by Allison1
I wonder if the admin knew about this all along and its just now coming up.
Surely the kids should have known what their requirements were and what they needed to do to graduate.

When we were in school our report cards in our senior year showed us what we needed to do to graduate.

Maybe the kids should have studied a little, done their work, and not skipped school so much. That may have helped, too.
Posted By: outfishdya

Re: 5 0ut of 33 - 05/24/23 09:27 PM

Originally Posted by BlueNitro
I bet the parents of the five are glad they won't have to wait on the 28 other kids names to be called so they can get the heck out of there and head to Chilis'.

Chilli's will also not be nearly as packed this year.
Posted By: outfishdya

Re: 5 0ut of 33 - 05/24/23 09:29 PM

Originally Posted by T Bird
Marlin demographic's may help shed a little light on the topic.

https://worldpopulationreview.com/us-cities/marlin-tx-population

No Asian's to inflate there numbers...
Posted By: reeltexan

Re: 5 0ut of 33 - 05/24/23 09:29 PM

Originally Posted by gdr_11
I had a friend who always bragged about buying up houses in Mart to build his rental portfolio. Most of his purchases were less than $50K. I used to call him a slum lord. Those graduation rates probably reflect the tough economic times in that little town.

Nonsense. My daddy grew up in the dust bowl in Oklahoma during the Depression. Finances have nothing to do with making grades.

This is what happens when you bump them from one grade to the next without meeting standards. They got to the end of the line and they aren't equipped or educated.
Posted By: Texan Til I Die

Re: 5 0ut of 33 - 05/24/23 09:58 PM

If you don't live in or near Marlin, you have no idea the troubles that city has gone through during the last 20 years. Corruption at nearly every level of government, including the local PD. All kinds of school officials getting in trouble. Crumbling infrastructure. At one point a few years ago the state was ready to come in and completely take over everything but somehow the city talked their way out of it.
Posted By: Dirty Bass

Re: 5 0ut of 33 - 05/24/23 10:01 PM

Plandemic probably didn't help.
Posted By: 603Country

Re: 5 0ut of 33 - 05/24/23 10:46 PM

Marlin is a pit. But they have a great Ace Hardware, a good burger joint (Lakeview Cafe) and good Mexican food (El Charro). And the wife likes the small somewhat dirty HEB there. Other than that, no reason to go there.

The school was known to be far below standard at least 10 years ago. There was talk of closing it, but they never did.
Posted By: Fooshman

Re: 5 0ut of 33 - 05/25/23 05:29 AM

Ok, Marlin hs not Mart.

Roughly the same place lol.
Posted By: Coach Hark

Re: 5 0ut of 33 - 05/25/23 11:33 AM

Originally Posted by Texan Til I Die
If you don't live in or near Marlin, you have no idea the troubles that city has gone through during the last 20 years. Corruption at nearly every level of government, including the local PD. All kinds of school officials getting in trouble. Crumbling infrastructure. At one point a few years ago the state was ready to come in and completely take over everything but somehow the city talked their way out of it.

Yep, if you’ve ever traveled south of Waco on Hwy 6 to College Station you’ve seen the Marlin residents walking the Hwy. That place has been effed up as a soup sandwich for years. No surprise, everyone there in the school district and city system works there because they were fired from somewhere else.

And the STAAR test grades haven’t come in to any district yet.

Re: 5 0ut of 33 - 05/25/23 11:33 AM

Originally Posted by Fooshman
Ok, Marlin hs not Mart.

Roughly the same place lol.

Not even close.
Posted By: Rescue Fire

Re: 5 0ut of 33 - 05/25/23 11:58 AM

Originally Posted by Coach Hark

Yep, if you’ve ever traveled south of Waco on Hwy 6 to College Station you’ve seen the Marlin residents walking the Hwy. That place has been effed up as a soup sandwich for years. No surprise, everyone there in the school district and city system works there because they were fired from somewhere else.

Sounds almost like Burleson.
Posted By: H2O Seeker

Re: 5 0ut of 33 - 05/25/23 12:19 PM

Next year will probably be worse. Senior class were freshman when 'VID hit. Seeing this a lot at the PreK and Kinder levels. Kids in 3rd and 4th grades now who can't read or identify all letters of the alphabet. Some of those kids missed 18-24 months of formative schooling because their parents thought it was extended Spring break and/or don't give a F.
Posted By: Bigbob_FTW

Re: 5 0ut of 33 - 05/25/23 12:29 PM

Originally Posted by Rescue Fire

hmmm

Re: 5 0ut of 33 - 05/25/23 12:39 PM

Originally Posted by Rescue Fire

Ha more like Gand Pairie‼️
Posted By: RussellWayne

Re: 5 0ut of 33 - 05/25/23 12:42 PM

demographis is a little misleading. Marlin area is surrounded with large farms. Those farmers and outlying areas make up the major part of one certain demographic. I'm sure marlin sells a ton of swisher sweets, malt licka and diapers.
Rumor is that the last time someone from marlin that wasnt a farmer bought a complete set of new tires was in the early eighties.

Re: 5 0ut of 33 - 05/25/23 12:50 PM

Originally Posted by RussellWayne
demographis is a little misleading. Marlin area is surrounded with large farms. Those farmers and outlying areas make up the major part of one certain demographic. I'm sure marlin sells a ton of swisher sweets, malt licka and diapers.
Rumor is that the last time someone from marlin that wasnt a farmer bought a complete set of new tires was in the early eighties.

roflmao

Harsh.
Posted By: Flags

Re: 5 0ut of 33 - 05/25/23 01:03 PM

Bingo. I teach HS in Amarillo and we fought it up here as well. When COVID was all over the news kids were allowed to do virtual if their parents wanted them to. And teachers were not allowed to fail anybody. Parents used the kids as babysitters or free labor and for the most part school work didnt get done but the kids passed anyway. Then when theyhsd to physically come to school and were held accountable the attendance rates and grades stayed very low.

Our counselors got ahead of it at the beginning of the 2nd semester and a lot of the seniors have been doing a lot of extra work to graduate. I will also say this years freshman class is also substandard because they got through middle school without having to do anything. It will take at least 5 years for education to recover from COVID,
Posted By: beartrap

Re: 5 0ut of 33 - 05/25/23 01:07 PM

before covid,they tested seniors at our two city schools and majority had reading,writing and math skills at 4th grade level....no telling how bad it is now....
Posted By: HasBen

Re: 5 0ut of 33 - 05/25/23 01:08 PM

In the case in the original article, it seems to me that someone should have been aware of this long before graduation week. Isn’t there some obligation to monitor students progress, or lack of progress, and correct these situations early. There are 33 seniors. It seems like a simple job to check their progress toward graduation during the course of their senior year.
Posted By: Finesse EMPEROR/ Dropshot King

Re: 5 0ut of 33 - 05/25/23 01:23 PM

Im not surprised one bit if only yall knew the hold back rate and failed state testing numbers lol these parents and kids are not getting any better sadly.... but lets blame racism like houston isd did.
Posted By: Douglas J

Re: 5 0ut of 33 - 05/25/23 01:25 PM

As in NB wearing senior citizens?
Posted By: OTFF

Re: 5 0ut of 33 - 05/25/23 02:02 PM

Covid was just the final nail in the education coffin. Education before Covid was on life support. It was only made to appear “successful” through smoke and mirrors, and manipulation of the “data.” Through changing the “rules”
so much and often that there was no real way to have true accountability. Add to that administration that operates a small version of “Bidenism” incompetence and you have/had the death of true education in America. One more thing.
Posted By: Razorback

Re: 5 0ut of 33 - 05/25/23 02:21 PM

People who were lazy before covid found their excuse. How much longer can they ride this, another 15-20 years? The rest of their lives?
Posted By: Notaguide

Re: 5 0ut of 33 - 05/25/23 02:22 PM

Currently my daughter is top 5 out of 41
Posted By: H2O Seeker

Re: 5 0ut of 33 - 05/25/23 02:34 PM

Originally Posted by OTFF
Covid was just the final nail in the education coffin. Education before Covid was on life support. It was only made to appear “successful” through smoke and mirrors, and manipulation of the “data.” Through changing the “rules”
so much and often that there was no real way to have true accountability. Add to that administration that operates a small version of “Bidenism” incompetence and you have/had the death of true education in America. One more thing.

You need to begin your day again with your quiet time and stay out of Leviticus.

Majority of my family are lifelong educators and 3 are in administration at differing levels. While there are some in every profession who show up to collect a check the vast majority are genuinely interested and motivated to see kids learn and grow. Kids exposed to things they should not be at younger ages and kids raising their parents are partially to blame. Does the educational system need to be re-tooled? In my humble opinion yes...but until behaviors are corralled at all levels with support from home the downward spiral will continue.

No elementary educator should have to worry about going to work only to be transported to the ER due to an abusive 1st grader.....true story.
Posted By: OTFF

Re: 5 0ut of 33 - 05/25/23 07:15 PM

Originally Posted by H2O Seeker

You need to begin your day again with your quiet time and stay out of Leviticus.

Majority of my family are lifelong educators and 3 are in administration at differing levels. While there are some in every profession who show up to collect a check the vast majority are genuinely interested and motivated to see kids learn and grow. Kids exposed to things they should not be at younger ages and kids raising their parents are partially to blame. Does the educational system need to be re-tooled? In my humble opinion yes...but until behaviors are corralled at all levels with support from home the downward spiral will continue.

No elementary educator should have to worry about going to work only to be transported to the ER due to an abusive 1st grader.....true story.

“Re-tooled?”

Right.

Look at the product being turned out by the majority of schools today. Case closed. Really is not even a discussion.

Is it all educations “fault?” No. But education, mostly administration and politicians have played a great role in that.

Re: 5 0ut of 33 - 05/25/23 10:01 PM

Originally Posted by H2O Seeker

“Re-tooled?”

Right.

Look at the product being turned out by the majority of schools today. Case closed. Really is not even a discussion.

Is it all educations “fault?” No. But education, mostly administration and politicians have played a great role in that.

Yep but they’re about to impeach one(Ken Paxton) of the three idiots who are trying to worsen Education. Next Dan Patrick and Greg Abbott and I voted for all three, bad decision coach.
Posted By: Rescue Fire

Re: 5 0ut of 33 - 05/25/23 10:05 PM

LOL, I was just messing w/ Hark. 174 ain't great but it dang sure is better than 6 thru Marlin.

I broke down in Marlin one time coming back from CS on a sunday night. Slept in the car and it was OK. This was before cell phones.
Posted By: Rayzor

Re: 5 0ut of 33 - 05/26/23 01:15 AM

Originally Posted by champ 206

Wow. That's the 1st tike I've heard about Mart in a long time. A long time ago, I used to know a guy from there.
Posted By: 603Country

Re: 5 0ut of 33 - 05/26/23 01:18 AM

I think there’s a place in Marlin where you can ‘rent to own’ tires, new or used.

The donut shop isn’t bad. And the El Charro is where we get those great shrimp cocktails that Hudbone loves to kid me about.
Posted By: Mark Perry

Re: 5 0ut of 33 - 05/26/23 01:23 AM

Originally Posted by 603Country
I think there’s a place in Marlin where you can ‘rent to own’ tires, new or used.

The donut shop isn’t bad. And the El Charro is where we get those great shrimp cocktails that Hudbone loves to kid me about.

Those shops are everywhere in Texas.
© 2024 Texas Fishing Forum