Texas Fishing Forum

Pro Bass Tournament Questions!

Posted By: Indianation65

Pro Bass Tournament Questions! - 09/27/22 07:35 PM

I've been wondering lately...

1. Are there "many" pro bass tournaments, those so big that they make it to television, or is there really just 1 or 2?

2. The pros use spinning reels and baitcasters, so here is the crazy question. Is/are there any pros that actually use a high quality/speed "spincast" reels?

3. BIG QUESTION!!! Why do some tournaments have some fishermen catch bass, tag them and drop them in the boat well, and others they weigh and release???

4. Is there "cheating" in bass tournaments? If the answer is "yes," and there is a judge and cameraman on each boat, how the heck is there cheating?

5. I know there are multiple rod/reel combos on each boat, but what type line do the majority use? Do any of them use monofilament, or is it all fluoro?

6. Do pros used "colored" line?

7. Do pro anglers have other jobs?

8. Do we have any big-time Pro Anglers in the Texas Fishing Forum? I really don't know.

9. I'll have to think about it before I come up with questions 9 and 10!

Addendum: What is the proper spelling, "baitcaster" or "bait caster"?

...???

[Linked Image]
Posted By: Sawhorse

Re: Pro Bass Tournament Questions! - 09/27/22 07:39 PM

Originally Posted by Indianation65

8. Do we have any big-time Pro Anglers in the Texas Fishing Forum? I really don't know.

I believe Frank the Tank fishes professionally, not sure of any others.
Posted By: Chris B

Re: Pro Bass Tournament Questions! - 09/27/22 07:41 PM

Why don’t you just start off with one or two questions.
Posted By: TexDawg

Re: Pro Bass Tournament Questions! - 09/27/22 07:41 PM

Originally Posted by Sawhorse

For the record, I am NOT a big time pro bass fisherman, clearing the air here

Re: Pro Bass Tournament Questions! - 09/27/22 07:42 PM

...because I had more than 1 or 2 question!

...!
Posted By: Trickster

Re: Pro Bass Tournament Questions! - 09/27/22 07:50 PM

Originally Posted by TexDawg

Are you McKinney's #1 bass guru?
Posted By: rj74955

Re: Pro Bass Tournament Questions! - 09/27/22 07:53 PM

Originally Posted by TexDawg

Everyone knows you’re a kept gigolo Dawg, just say it.
Posted By: Notaguide

Re: Pro Bass Tournament Questions! - 09/27/22 07:54 PM

What makes black bass so special? It's not like they are that fun to catch.

Re: Pro Bass Tournament Questions! - 09/27/22 07:56 PM

9. Who are your favorite pro bass fishermen?

For me, I like Jacob Wheeler and Mark Zona!

I used to get Zona's show, but freakin' Spectrum! I hate Spectrum!

...------
Posted By: COFF

Re: Pro Bass Tournament Questions! - 09/27/22 07:59 PM

Here's a couple of answers for ya.

2. The pros use spinning reels and baitcasters, so here is the crazy question. Is/are there any pros that actually use a high quality/speed "spincast" reels?
Doubt it, but you never know.

3. BIG QUESTION!!! Why do some tournaments have some fishermen catch bass, tag them and drop them in the boat well, and others they weigh and release??? Most tournaments weigh the heaviest 5 fish, some use total weight of all fish caught. In the latter, the guy that catches 25 fish at 1 lb each would win over the guy that catches two 12 lbers, even though most of us would consider the 12 lbers a better day on the water.

4. Is there "cheating" in bass tournaments? If the answer is "yes," and there is a judge and cameraman on each boat, how the heck is there cheating?
Yes. It is usually only the big tourneys you have an official riding along and/or cameras. Much harder to get away with it there. Most tourneys rely on the honor system, or lie detector tests for the winners. You can cheat by shoving weights in a fish's belly, by trapping a big fish and retrieving it for the tourney, etc. There have been some epic threads on the TFF concerning cheating and cheaters.

5. I know there are multiple rod/reel combos on each boat, but what type line do the majority use? Do any of them use monofilament, or is it all fluoro?
It is likely that each rod laid out on the bow has a different line matched to the setup.

6. Do pros used "colored" line? They will if they are sponsored by a colored line brand.
Posted By: CCTX

Re: Pro Bass Tournament Questions! - 09/27/22 08:03 PM

1. Are there "many" pro bass tournaments, those so big that they make it to television, or is there really just 1 or 2?

"many"

No. Difficult to manipulate the line/lure for a subtle, soft landing with a spincast reel.

3. BIG QUESTION!!! Why do some tournaments have some fishermen catch bass, tag them and drop them in the boat well, and others they weigh and release???

Different tournament formats/guidelines and different professional leagues with different rules.

Yes; most of the cheating is done prior to the tournament (violations of no information rules)

It's not all fluoro (one would tend to not use fluoro for topwater lures and wakebaits). With finesse presentations, there is a lot of braid to fluoro leader.

Yes

Yes

baitcaster

Posted By: RayBob

Re: Pro Bass Tournament Questions! - 09/27/22 08:17 PM

...???

[Linked Image]

1. 2 circuits make national TV exposure

2 I don't think spincasts are used regularly but I remember a big time T back in the 90's that was won with a spincast. Don't remember the technique even. I think it was a Zebco 88.

3. Different rules (Some ore measuring the best 5 fish and others most combined weight

4. Not all trails have the judge and camera man. Seems Jeff Sprague was caught doing some infraction, don't think it was open "cheating". Don't think there is much if any cheating on the 2 big trails (Bassmaster Elite and MLF/BPT). Lesser trails there is cheating occasionally.

5. I see a lot of both main types of rod/reel setups and nylon mono is used.

6. yes

7. mostly no if you're talking outside the fishing industry.

8. Mark Perry is "big time". bolt

9. Think about it????

Others may have more or differing knowledge. I can't guarantee the accuracy of my answers. Some are guesses.

Re: Pro Bass Tournament Questions! - 09/27/22 08:20 PM

Originally Posted by Notaguide
What makes black bass so special? It's not like they are that fun to catch.

Much like gambling, fishing for bass offers intermittent, variable reward.

Bass size distribution and catchability frequency vary in just the right amounts to promote addiction type behavior.
They aren't the easiest fish to catch and not the hardest.
Most of the ones you catch are under four pounds, but if you fish enough you are likely to catch a 6lb+ or even a DD under the right conditions.
They are plentiful and thrive across a wide range of climates and water conditions.
Posted By: Notaguide

Re: Pro Bass Tournament Questions! - 09/27/22 08:23 PM

In my experience catching a 8+ lb bass is like dragging a suitcase to the boat. Just not much fun. They also taste like doo doo. I do realize I'm in the minority.
Posted By: spazm09

Re: Pro Bass Tournament Questions! - 09/27/22 08:37 PM

3. BIG QUESTION!!! Why do some tournaments have some fishermen catch bass, tag them and drop them in the boat well, and others they weigh and release???[Linked Image]

Someone please correct me if I get this wrong...

I think they color code the tags. Meaning they have 5 colors, when they tag a fish, they log how much that fish weighs with the color tag. So when they get past 5 fish, they have a log to check to see which fish weighs the least and they can quickly swap out the smaller fish for the bigger newly caught fish. Otherwise, they would have to weigh all 5 fish in the live well in order to see which one is smallest to swap out.

Did I get that right?
Posted By: spazm09

Re: Pro Bass Tournament Questions! - 09/27/22 08:38 PM

Originally Posted by spazm09
3. BIG QUESTION!!! Why do some tournaments have some fishermen catch bass, tag them and drop them in the boat well, and others they weigh and release???[Linked Image]

Someone please correct me if I get this wrong...

I think they color code the tags. Meaning they have 5 colors, when they tag a fish, they log how much that fish weighs with the color tag. So when they get past 5 fish, they have a log to check to see which fish weighs the least and they can quickly swap out the smaller fish for the bigger newly caught fish. Otherwise, they would have to weigh all 5 fish in the live well in order to see which one is smallest to swap out.

Did I get that right?

But after re-reading your question, I don't that's what you were asking about. lol
Posted By: John175☮

Re: Pro Bass Tournament Questions! - 09/27/22 09:05 PM

Some have a biggest 5 bass win so they put them in the livewell to weigh later. Bassmaster tournaments
Some have a catch as many over 1lb as you can, weigh them and put them back in the water. The winner is the one with the most weight and the end of the time period. Major League Fishing
Posted By: outfishdya

Re: Pro Bass Tournament Questions! - 09/27/22 09:58 PM

I was going to use my real name Bill Dance when I signed up on the TFF, but I decided I did not need the publicity.
Posted By: BThomas

Re: Pro Bass Tournament Questions! - 09/28/22 02:18 AM

[quote=Indianation65]9. Who are your favorite pro bass fishermen?

For me, I like Jacob Wheeler and Mark Zona!

I used to get Zona's show, but freakin' Spectrum! I hate Spectrum!

...------

Greg Hackney has to be my favorite. I would love to fish with him,
Posted By: Bob Davis

Re: Pro Bass Tournament Questions! - 09/28/22 02:35 AM

Good questions.

Also, I have some:

1. If you are a pro fisherman and have a partner, do you have to wear the same hats and shirts that have the same patches on them?

2. If you pay big money to enter a tournament, do you get to kick other non-tourney fisherman off your spots?

Re: Pro Bass Tournament Questions! - 09/28/22 03:10 AM

Therefore, overall, it's "The Bassmasters" and "Major League Fishing," those are the two big boys?

Thanks for the input! Rock on, fish on! IN65/joe

...!!!
Posted By: CALIFORNIA KID

Re: Pro Bass Tournament Questions! - 09/28/22 03:43 AM

These are somewhat surprising questions for someone that has 10,000 plus posts on a fishing forum in Texas. Let's test your knowledge to see if you can still hold the TFF Guru label.

1. What's the famous Texas lake named after a utensil?
2. What's the worm rig that shares the same name as the state you live in?

If you cant answer these, you get demoted to guppy.
Posted By: RedRanger

Re: Pro Bass Tournament Questions! - 09/28/22 11:27 AM

There had been at least one guy from TFF who won a BassMaster Elite series victory

https://www.bassmaster.com/news/2009-oneida-lake-how-they-did-it/
Posted By: John175☮

Re: Pro Bass Tournament Questions! - 09/28/22 11:44 AM

Originally Posted by CALIFORNIA KID
These are somewhat surprising questions for someone that has 10,000 plus posts on a fishing forum in Texas. Let's test your knowledge to see if you can still hold the TFF Guru label.

Lake Fork
Texas Rig

Posted By: Pat Goff

Re: Pro Bass Tournament Questions! - 09/28/22 11:49 AM

Anything for money is professional. Every single week.

2. The pros use spinning reels and baitcasters, so here is the crazy question. Is/are there any pros that actually use a high quality/speed "spincast"
reels?

Back in the day there was one, I'll remember his name shortly.

Depends on lake regulations. Slot lake like Fork would be example of weigh and release.

Yes. Not in front of a camera, but one dude and his old lady finally got caught, rhymes with "Mold"

Rod, reel, line, lure are simply tools for the situation at hand.

Back to the tool reference

Most, yes. Top of the top it's their only profession.

There's a few has been's

...???

[Linked Image]

Re: Pro Bass Tournament Questions! - 09/29/22 12:14 AM

One question did not get answer.

Spelling:

baitcaster or bait caster?

I've seen both.

Thanks for all the replies. I can't wait to get out and fish again!!!! IN65

...?
Posted By: BThomas

Re: Pro Bass Tournament Questions! - 09/29/22 12:23 AM

Originally Posted by CALIFORNIA KID

If you came to this site, looking or serious questions and answers. Then you are on the wrong forum and should move to California.
Posted By: hopalong

Re: Pro Bass Tournament Questions! - 09/29/22 12:26 AM

a bait caster uses a baitcaster to cast their baits.

cheers
Posted By: GeoFisher

Re: Pro Bass Tournament Questions! - 09/29/22 12:55 PM

Originally Posted by Notaguide
In my experience catching a 8+ lb bass is like dragging a suitcase to the boat. Just not much fun. They also taste like doo doo. I do realize I'm in the minority.

And exactly where are we catching these 8 lb bass? Perhaps I can help ya better understand if I knew where these exact bass were at and was able to "test" out a few of them for my own.
Posted By: Douglas J

Re: Pro Bass Tournament Questions! - 09/29/22 01:01 PM

Posted By: H2O Seeker

Re: Pro Bass Tournament Questions! - 09/29/22 10:12 PM

Woo Daves and Ken Cook used spin cast reels for some techniques but that was 20+ years ago. If any in the current era are utilizing spin cast gear it's not documented.
Posted By: HookaToad

Re: Pro Bass Tournament Questions! - 09/30/22 03:32 AM

Yeah but what about the cane pole?? Surely G-Lomis has a 749$ one out there with Shaw Grigsby's name on it....

Re: Pro Bass Tournament Questions! - 09/30/22 11:55 AM

My Dad is 91, and never used a baitcaster/bait caster/bait-caster, whatever.

I got him a good one several years ago, but he never got the hang of it, so I bought him a Zebco 33 Platinum.

It's pretty good for a spincast, and I hope to get him out by some water in late November to December.

...!
Posted By: 1956Zebco

Re: Pro Bass Tournament Questions! - 10/02/22 04:25 PM

As for your reel question: they use bait-caster predominantly for the simple reason they are making cast after cast after cast rapidly. The more casts you make, the more presentations you make, the more fish get to see a lure, and the percentage of strikes goes up accordingly. It's a simple numbers game they are playing. A bait-caster is the only one that makes sense in that scenario since it lays line back on the spool in the same manner it went off - it doesn't twist it.

In the real world, few of us fish in that herky-jerky rapid fire casting style we see the pros doing so much.

Keep in mind also: the pros are selling you something (or trying to): they're sponsored by whatever they're using. That's what all those patches are about. Few of us wear that kind of getup when we're out there on the lake (I have seen some though). They can't make money off trying to convince you to buy an old USA made whatever at the flea market and rebuild that quality reel back to new (or simply clean, lube, & fish).

I have the pros around my dock all the time, year after year (with the big boy cameraman and the whole bit) on Thomas Mill Creek (Lake Eufaula) since it's near the boat ramp and they can plop in and get their film footage with multiple backdrops. Usually they're just filming the casting plop plop stuff for tv - two bridges, old docks, new docks, wooded backdrops - they can get it all done in one whack. One thing is common: whenever I say: "Hey, show me your oldest Zebco" out one comes (usually with a plastic attached). Why? Maybe they're using that when scouting - I really don't know.

In the real world we use whatever suits our style of fishing best and that's that. Cane poles still reign supreme and probably always will for the amount of fish caught with a device so there is that too. Doubt we'll see the pros dibbling though.

Re: Pro Bass Tournament Questions! - 10/30/22 01:37 PM

I always wondered this next comment/question/observation as well.

A 3-hour bass tournament was on yesterday, Saturday Oct. 29, and it was from April at Eagle Mountain Lake, Ft. Worth.

In watching these fishermen catch, weigh and release so quickly, then recast quickly, has their ever been any question of pro anglers purposely letting a bass go, then trying to catch the same one. Then, very quickly, the man catches his next bass, and it weighs exactly the same as the one he just released?

I know the likelihood is slim, but I've wondered.

...------
Posted By: rj74955

Re: Pro Bass Tournament Questions! - 10/30/22 02:34 PM

I always wondered this next comment/question/observation as well.

A 3-hour bass tournament was on yesterday, Saturday Oct. 29, and it was from April at Eagle Mountain Lake, Ft. Worth.

In watching these fishermen catch, weigh and release so quickly, then recast quickly, has their ever been any question of pro anglers purposely letting a bass go, then trying to catch the same one. Then, very quickly, the man catches his next bass, and it weighs exactly the same as the one he just released?

I know the likelihood is slim, but I've wondered.

...------

You know that guy that told you there are no dumb questions? He was wrong.

Re: Pro Bass Tournament Questions! - 10/30/22 03:30 PM

I did say it was highly unlikely.

Thanks and appreciation for the love and support.

...!

Re: Pro Bass Tournament Questions! - 10/30/22 03:35 PM

I’ve caught the same fish twice in one day a time or two during the spawn.
Don’t think there are rules against it in catch/weigh/release tournaments. You should probably get bonus points.
© 2024 Texas Fishing Forum