Texas Fishing Forum

Who could throw a football...

Posted By: lconn4

Who could throw a football... - 08/22/22 01:00 AM

back in their prime? How far could you throw it and how old were you? How long since you have thrown one around.. regulation size. Picked one up the other day.. felt like it was filled with lead. I hadn't thrown a ball around in 40 years. It didn't go as far as I thought it should. bang
Posted By: Bigbob_FTW

Re: Who could throw a football... - 08/22/22 01:05 AM

I mostly played center. Couldn't throw for chit.

Re: Who could throw a football... - 08/22/22 01:06 AM

Originally Posted by Bigbob_FTW
I mostly played center. Couldn't throw for chit.

between your legs counts! cheers
Posted By: Indianation65

Re: Who could throw a football... - 08/22/22 01:08 AM

I could hit 50 yards regularly.
I'm sure I got close to 60.

...------
Posted By: PaulGrapevine

Re: Who could throw a football... - 08/22/22 01:09 AM

I could catch better than I could throw. Had a guy that played D1 throw the ball to me once. Felt like it was filled with lead when I caught it. He could fling it.

Re: Who could throw a football... - 08/22/22 01:11 AM

Originally Posted by Indianation65

...------

Have you thrown one lately mr cannon? roflmao
Posted By: steveiam

Re: Who could throw a football... - 08/22/22 01:14 AM

Lol
I played center on offense and line backer on defense-
I did not throw balls-
Posted By: HookaToad

Re: Who could throw a football... - 08/22/22 01:15 AM

Linebacker back in the day and throwing wasnt' my cup of tea.. However, having said that, I am positive I could throw my back out with ease....
Posted By: Duke 22

Re: Who could throw a football... - 08/22/22 01:15 AM

I can still sling it around some, the largest I have thrown is NCAA size which I believe is 1-1.25" smaller than an N.F.L. ball. I mostly throw a pee-wee football on deep routes in receivers drills for my kids 6th grade team. Which in itself doesn't make sense because the QB can't accurately throw it that deep, but it's what the coach wants so...
Posted By: grandbassslayer

Re: Who could throw a football... - 08/22/22 01:17 AM

...------

https://youtu.be/xL-VX3WbA9U
Posted By: 921 Phoenix

Re: Who could throw a football... - 08/22/22 01:17 AM

never played much football

I played baseball and outfield. I could easily hit the catcher from the warning track even in the 15 year old range. I played softball till late 40's and could still hit home plate doubt I could hit the broad side of a barn now. LOL I am not sure I would even want to try now.

Re: Who could throw a football... - 08/22/22 01:18 AM

Originally Posted by lconn4

...------

If only the coach would’ve played him in the 4th quarter….😆
Posted By: Bob Davis

Re: Who could throw a football... - 08/22/22 01:20 AM

I never could throw a football well. Still cant. Baseball was my forte. Played many years as a yoot.
Posted By: Fishspanker

Re: Who could throw a football... - 08/22/22 01:22 AM

Never had a good arm. When I played a bunch of Slow pitch softball I always made sure the cut off man came way out…lol.

Re: Who could throw a football... - 08/22/22 01:23 AM

Well I've been throwing marshmellows at my raccoons ever day for years. If I had a video of it, you'd think I was shooting them out from a gun. The football is heavier than marshmellows and I was afraid I was going to tear something so I shut it down. Back at throwing a little today.. getting better, motion coming back, still got the tight spiral.
Posted By: RATZ

Re: Who could throw a football... - 08/22/22 01:47 AM

never had much of an arm. Even in baseball, it was 2b or 1b for me or catcher when I wasn't pitching
Posted By: MBradford

Re: Who could throw a football... - 08/22/22 01:54 AM

[Linked Image]
Posted By: Razorback

Re: Who could throw a football... - 08/22/22 02:14 AM

I could throw a football over 70 yards. I played WR, TE, and DE. The coaches actually put in a tight end around pass for me to throw it. When I moved in 9th grade the coaches at the new school put me at strong safety right off the bat. A couple of weeks into the season the DB coach had to do something else for a minute so he had me throw passes with starters running routes against the second teamers. I cut one loose on an out and up and heard a whistle blow. He saw it and told me to do that again.

I did and after a couple of throws he went and got the head coach to see me throw the ball. I did
The next day the head coach from Texas High was at practice to watch me throw. He handed me a playback, told me to learn it, and said I was being moved to QB.

A couple of days later my dad got out of the hospital and moved me back home, where I was put back at TE.

I was 6'4" when I was 13 years old and threw footballs and baseballs my whole life, at least through college.
Posted By: JIM SR.

Re: Who could throw a football... - 08/22/22 02:19 AM

Originally Posted by Razorback
I could throw a football over 70 yards. I played WR, TE, and DE. The coaches actually put in a tight end around pass for me to throw it. When I moved in 9th grade the coaches at the new school put me at strong safety right off the bat. A couple of weeks into the season the DB coach had to do something else for a minute so he had me throw passes with starters running routes against the second teamers. I cut one loose on an out and up and heard a whistle blow. He saw it and told me to do that again.

I did and after a couple of throws he went and got the head coach to see me throw the ball. I did
The next day the head coach from Texas High was at practice to watch me throw. He handed me a playback, told me to learn it, and said I was being moved to QB.

A couple of days later my dad got out of the hospital and moved me back home, where I was put back at TE.

I was 6'4" when I was 13 years old and threw footballs and baseballs my whole life, at least through college.

And,...???? what pro tean did you play with ??

Re: Who could throw a football... - 08/22/22 02:35 AM

Originally Posted by JIM SR.

And,...???? what pro tean did you play with ??

I didn't. I didn't even play college ball. Believe what you want. People who have known me my whole life know the truth.

Someone asked a question. I answered it.
Posted By: CKINCAID

Re: Who could throw a football... - 08/22/22 02:37 AM

I was RG and NT . Small B12 school so we rotated. Couldn't throw far but could kick decent. Now....nothing. Labor and construction for 30 years. Shoulders hurt and sleeping is a workout of pain. I have 0 respect for sign holders.

Re: Who could throw a football... - 08/22/22 02:42 AM

Originally Posted by Razorback

You threw the ball 70 yards as a 9th grader? banana How old are you now? How far do you think you could throw it today?
roflmao
Posted By: kennerdude

Re: Who could throw a football... - 08/22/22 02:43 AM

Definitely not me. LG and ML

Re: Who could throw a football... - 08/22/22 02:48 AM

You threw the ball 70 yards as a 9th grader? banana How old are you now? How far do you think you could throw it today?
roflmao

About 30 yards...maybe. My shoulder is shot. I'll be 62 next month.

I don't know if I could throw it that far in 9th grade. I could in high school and college.
Posted By: Okie Poke

Re: Who could throw a football... - 08/22/22 02:49 AM

Heck, I coulda played pro ball by the way I slung it. I learned from YouTube watching Steve Young. He was my idol and I was a southpaw, too. Got blindsided as a middle school backup, and my career all of a sudden took a turn for the worse when one of my eyeballs got knocked outta socket. I never regained my accuracy but they always said that I had an exit velocity of somewhere around ‘bout 80.

Forming a TFF football team……🤪

Re: Who could throw a football... - 08/22/22 02:58 AM

Originally Posted by Okie Poke
Heck, I coulda played pro ball by the way I slung it. I learned from YouTube watching Steve Young. He was my idol and I was a southpaw, too. Got blindsided as a middle school backup, and my career all of a sudden took a turn for the worse when one of my eyeballs got knocked outta socket. I never regained my accuracy but they always said that I had an exit velocity of somewhere around ‘bout 80.

Smart man... wait until the thread has been up a while to see who the man is to beat! roflmao What do you estimate your exit velocity today... your arm, not any other body parts? roflmao
Posted By: Stump jumper

Re: Who could throw a football... - 08/22/22 03:18 AM

I always played QB in backyard pickup games. I could lay in a 30 to 40 yards with a perfect arch. Shoulders are bad enough now that I can't hardly swing a golf club.
Posted By: Mulejockey1

Re: Who could throw a football... - 08/22/22 03:40 AM

TE and DE here. I couldn’t throw a football for [censored], catch everything. Sons were C AND LB, I’ve never seen better thrown passes than they could throw. Tight, accurate, and distance. They also knew how to land a pass or drop one in. Wasn’t just bullet passes like no one could throw better than Vick.

Unfortunately our locale is more interested in teachers kids and use a point system that dictates position. Just think about a center being a outside linebacker, that’s how ridiculous it is. Exactly why neither played after freshmen year in hs. Those qb’s in grade school were still undersized that maybe could have played slot, as a backup. Instead they were groomed for qb and it was clear.
Posted By: ko bass attack 27

Re: Who could throw a football... - 08/22/22 04:24 AM

Wow a 70 yd football throw is impressive. Puts you in a league with Brett Favre, Randall Cunningham Mark Brunell and few others. I don't think Mahomes has a documented 70 yd throw nor did Rothelsberger. I think Josh Allen is credited with the strongest arm of current NFL QBs and can heave it a little over 70 yds.

Re: Who could throw a football... - 08/22/22 04:34 AM

OK.. I get the drift... buncha has beens in the OT.. I'm Challenging all those that posted on this thread 50 and older to a long distance football throw. Event date will be determined within thirty days. Your presence is not required. Video of your best throw with accurate measurement will suffice. My OT Challenge Bass Champion Hat is up for grabs... This should be easy! I think 28 yards should just about cover it. roflmao

If you don't post on this thread by high noon tomorrow, that you accept the challenge, you're DQed. roflmao

If no one accepts the challenge, I will declare myself OT Sr. Football Champion

[Linked Image]
Posted By: TxBassSniper

Re: Who could throw a football... - 08/22/22 04:37 AM

I've always had a cannon for an arm. Couldn't tell you how many times I got in trouble for throwing rocks as a kid. I could throw a baseball out of the park from home plate in little league. I hit between 55-60 pretty consistently in high school and college, with my best throw I measured at 63. I'm 53 now, and I think I could still hit 50.
I played LB in high school because I loved crushing QB's on blitzes. LOL
I will accept the Iconn challenge! Don't really want your hat though. slinger

Re: Who could throw a football... - 08/22/22 04:39 AM

Originally Posted by Okie Poke

No way, not with these losers! roflmao

Re: Who could throw a football... - 08/22/22 04:39 AM

OK.. I get the drift... buncha has beens in the OT.. I'm Challenging all those that posted on this thread 50 and older to a long distance football throw. Event date will be determined within thirty days. Your presence is not required. Video of your best throw with accurate measurement will suffice. My OT Challenge Bass Champion Hat is up for grabs... This should be easy! I think 28 yards should just about cover it. roflmao

If you don't post on this thread by high noon tomorrow, that you accept the challenge, you're DQed. roflmao

[Linked Image]

At 72 lbs lighter and 100% weaker, I may take that bet if it’s for distance only. I have no idea where it will go as I’m can’t see [censored].

Re: Who could throw a football... - 08/22/22 04:55 AM

Originally Posted by John Peebles
I've always had a cannon for an arm. Couldn't tell you how many times I got in trouble for throwing rocks as a kid. I could throw a baseball out of the park from home plate in little league. I hit between 55-60 pretty consistently in high school and college, with my best throw I measured at 63. I'm 53 now, and I think I could still hit 50.

Well unfortunately, you hadn't posted when I set up the rules... rules are rules. Sorry bud, you're out, but you can enter your best throw and might win the losers bracket made up of losers that didn't meet the deadline.. roflmao Accepting the challenge by noon tomorrow (central time) only applies to those that posted prior to challenge. roflmao

Re: Who could throw a football... - 08/22/22 05:02 AM

Originally Posted by Mulejockey1

[Linked Image]

At 72 lbs lighter and 100% weaker, I may take that bet if it’s for distance only. I have no idea where it will go as I’m can’t see [censored].

Mulejockey, you did get in under the wire if you are over 50 years of age.

Re: Who could throw a football... - 08/22/22 05:14 AM

Well unfortunately, you hadn't posted when I set up the rules... rules are rules. Sorry bud, you're out, but you can enter your best throw and might win the losers bracket made up of losers that didn't meet the deadline.. roflmao Accepting the challenge by noon tomorrow (central time) only applies to those that posted prior to challenge. roflmao

Yea I understand. It's ok if you're skert!!! roflmao

Re: Who could throw a football... - 08/22/22 05:28 AM

I'll let you in on special exemption if you can get a video in this week throwing it 46 yards. Throw away loser! roflmao

Re: Who could throw a football... - 08/22/22 05:38 AM

I'll let you in on special exemption if you can get a video in this week throwing it 46 yards. Throw away loser! roflmao

You think I have people and a marked field on standby to film me throwing a football??? I will do it when everyone else does or you can put your football where the sun don't shine! roflmao roflmao roflmao
Posted By: Emit R Detsaw

Re: Who could throw a football... - 08/22/22 05:41 AM

Got a couple Punt Pass and Kick trophies back in the 60's. But it was my punting and kicking that got me those, never had a strong throwing arm.

Re: Who could throw a football... - 08/22/22 05:59 AM

Originally Posted by Mulejockey1

[Linked Image]

Mulejockey, you did get in under the wire if you are over 50 years of age.

That’s great! You care to help me up so I can go check my Id? Please don’t tell me it gets worse at 50.

All I ever heard was work hard when your young. Sorry sobs never told me what that would lead to.

Re: Who could throw a football... - 08/22/22 06:00 AM

For the record I was gonna cheat anyway.

Re: Who could throw a football... - 08/22/22 06:24 AM

You think I have people and a marked field on standby to film me throwing a football??? I will do it when everyone else does or you can put your football where the sun don't shine! roflmao roflmao roflmao

you can't throw it 46 yards can you? roflmao
Posted By: Monty Wright

Re: Who could throw a football... - 08/22/22 09:42 AM

[Linked Image]

[Linked Image]
Posted By: rj74955

Re: Who could throw a football... - 08/22/22 12:00 PM

Let me know when the yellow cat punting contest starts, I can really put one out there.
Posted By: Bob Davis

Re: Who could throw a football... - 08/22/22 12:17 PM

[Linked Image]

I think all ER rooms should be notified in advance for incoming.
grin

[Linked Image]
Posted By: CKINCAID

Re: Who could throw a football... - 08/22/22 12:18 PM

I'm 47 but in Construction years that's 58.
Posted By: Samsonsworld

Re: Who could throw a football... - 08/22/22 12:23 PM

I could throw the width of the football field in my prime....which is 50+ yards. After years of tossing footballs and baseballs to my son and his teams, my arm is shot. Doubt I'd throw 20 yards now and God knows in which direction it'll go.
Posted By: SteezMacQueen

Re: Who could throw a football... - 08/22/22 12:29 PM

I cold snap a ball 20 yards, I could turn around and throw it 25! Lol.

Fighting Farmers!
Posted By: JCG57

Re: Who could throw a football... - 08/22/22 12:30 PM

Originally Posted by Samsonsworld
I could throw the width of the football field in my prime....which is 50+ yards. After years of tossing footballs and baseballs to my son and his teams, my arm is shot. Doubt I'd throw 20 yards now and God knows in which direction it'll go.

Same here. Years of pitching batting practice to my sons and their teammates has resulted in extreme dead arm. Hurts to chuck a football. In my prime could punt farther than our HS QB could throw, but that says more about his arm than my leg.
Posted By: Trickster

Re: Who could throw a football... - 08/22/22 12:39 PM

40 yards or so. Play QB for a very small HS.
Posted By: fivebites

Re: Who could throw a football... - 08/22/22 12:49 PM

Played QB/Halfback and occasional receiver on offense. I was accurate but not a big arm, and MAYBE topped out around 40 yards down wind. When we needed to go long my best friend who played running back and I would switch. He could throw it a ton. With the rotator cuff issues I have now I can barely throw a real football 15 yards. Embarrassing. But hey, I'm an old now, so...I got that going for me.
Posted By: ReelSlow

Re: Who could throw a football... - 08/22/22 12:53 PM

QB Tackling Dummy here. I was really good at getting the sheet kicked out of myself every day in practice. I rode the bench for 4 years. I think I was about 8/16 for 20 yards, O TDs and -40 yards rushing and 1 Broken ankle. I got sent in the last game of my senior year to run out the clock. Coach sent in a play to take a knee and I called a pass play, scrambled around and ran for a first down out of bounds and stopped the clock. Coach was pizzed after the game and gripped me out. I had a few words for him as well. I wish I would have started playing golf when I was in 7th grade instead of F that ball.
Posted By: spazm09

Re: Who could throw a football... - 08/22/22 03:04 PM

I could never throw a regulation size football very well cause I've got little girl sized hands, can't ever grip a basketball with one hand.

But I used to have a decent arm as a kid through my 20s. Played centerfield for 9 years.

More recently but It's still been several years since I played but I can still toss a disc golf disc a pretty good way. Was mediocre at mid-range and decent at "putting". My good drives always made for pretty good scores.

Re: Who could throw a football... - 08/22/22 03:18 PM

Originally Posted by Samsonsworld

Now that is the kind of honesty I was looking for! roflmao
Posted By: butch sanders

Re: Who could throw a football... - 08/22/22 03:23 PM

...------

ha
not since he left
The NFL
Posted By: bassfishinglawyer

Re: Who could throw a football... - 08/22/22 03:24 PM

I have a few PP&K trophies in a box up in the attic - so I could do okay.

Re: Who could throw a football... - 08/22/22 03:41 PM

Originally Posted by bassfishinglawyer

Doing OK won't win any OT Challenge, loser. roflmao

Re: Who could throw a football... - 08/22/22 03:41 PM

Well I've been throwing marshmellows at my raccoons ever day for years. If I had a video of it, you'd think I was shooting them out from a gun. The football is heavier than marshmellows and I was afraid I was going to tear something so I shut it down. Back at throwing a little today.. getting better, motion coming back, still got the tight spiral.

get a Nerf rocket ball

Re: Who could throw a football... - 08/22/22 03:42 PM

Originally Posted by bassfishinglawyer

IMHO
PP&K is pretty legit

i couldn't come close

Re: Who could throw a football... - 08/22/22 03:46 PM

Originally Posted by spazm09
I could never throw a regulation size football very well cause I've got little girl sized hands, can't ever grip a basketball with one hand.

But I used to have a decent arm as a kid through my 20s. Played centerfield for 9 years.

More recently but It's still been several years since I played but I can still toss a disc golf disc a pretty good way. Was mediocre at mid-range and decent at "putting". My good drives always made for pretty good scores.

[Linked Image]
Posted By: spazm09

Re: Who could throw a football... - 08/22/22 03:48 PM

Originally Posted by spazm09

[Linked Image]

Lol pretty much

Re: Who could throw a football... - 08/22/22 03:50 PM

Lately, no, I'd probably only hit 25 yards regularly, 30 at most.

Back in high school and afterwards into my 20s, many of us football players could throw long bombs.
It was not unusual.

...!
Posted By: Flip Flop Fisher

Re: Who could throw a football... - 08/22/22 03:51 PM

throwing and catching..who cannot

Re: Who could throw a football... - 08/22/22 03:52 PM

Addendum: After reading a couple of pages, my guess it's the NON-athletes who are making fun of those of us who could throw far when we were young.
It was NOT unusual to throw a football 50 yards + from ages 16-29!

A 70-yard thrower in this forum? Yes, I believe it, easily!

...!

Re: Who could throw a football... - 08/22/22 04:09 PM

The reason I started this topic was because after trying to throw the football the other day, I was really disappointed. roflmao After limbering up a little and making a few warm up tosses, I went into my hop, skip, jump, windup... ball slips out of my hand as I'm about to unleash all my power. I did catch it behind my back saving some pride. Since it was a new football, it was slick and I think I might have to let some air out of it. Anyway, only tried 10 or 12 throws... tried to walk off the distance to get an idea of where I was on distance meter. It was pathetic... but probably good enough to win my challenge. roflmao
Posted By: Okie Poke

Re: Who could throw a football... - 08/22/22 04:21 PM

The reason I started this topic was because after trying to throw the football the other day, I was really disappointed. roflmao After limbering up a little and making a few warm up tosses, I went into my hop, skip, jump, windup... ball slips out of my hand as I'm about to unleash all my power. I did catch it behind my back saving some pride. Since it was a new football, it was slick and I think I might have to let some air out of it. Anyway, only tried 10 or 12 throws... tried to walk off the distance to get an idea of where I was on distance meter. It was pathetic... but probably good enough to win my challenge. roflmao

If you caught it behind your back, I would say that you could very possibly have a lucrative career in juggling with a dexterous move such as that....let me know if you need sponsorship to pursue your goals.
Posted By: CCTX

Re: Who could throw a football... - 08/22/22 07:49 PM

I prefer my balls deflated to 11.5 psi.

Re: Who could throw a football... - 08/22/22 07:57 PM

Addendum: After reading a couple of pages, my guess it's the NON-athletes who are making fun of those of us who could throw far when we were young.
It was NOT unusual to throw a football 50 yards + from ages 16-29!

A 70-yard thrower in this forum? Yes, I believe it, easily!

...!

I think your full of it. Last I checked Mahomes, Rodgers or Allen are not surfing the TFF for fishing info. If anyone here can hit 70, they can make a living with their arm- or at least paid there way thru college with it.
Posted By: UTDmiller

Re: Who could throw a football... - 08/22/22 08:01 PM

Originally Posted by ko bass attack 27
Wow a 70 yd football throw is impressive. Puts you in a league with Brett Favre, Randall Cunningham Mark Brunell and few others. I don't think Mahomes has a documented 70 yd throw nor did Rothelsberger. I think Josh Allen is credited with the strongest arm of current NFL QBs and can heave it a little over 70 yds.

A youtuber who plays video games went to 49ers practice and threw a ball 70yards. Those guys you named can just do it accurately
Posted By: UTDmiller

Re: Who could throw a football... - 08/22/22 08:05 PM

played football in highschool, but only played Qb for a few weeks my freshman year then i went straight defense. I was able to throw sideline to sideline in pregame when we would mess around, 53yrds... never tried and measured out as far as i could throw it but maybe a few more yards than that... was not accurate at all though, which is why i ended up playing defense roflmao
Posted By: HookaToad

Re: Who could throw a football... - 08/22/22 08:42 PM

Ha I win!!!..Just like I predicted, after listening to all of this I went out and threw a regular sized football as far as I could....I am having an epidural steroid injection on Wednesday....hopefully that will allow me to walk upright again...winning!!!

Re: Who could throw a football... - 08/22/22 08:47 PM

Well boys and girls... its well past high noon and none of those eligible accepted the OT Football Challenge... just as I had hoped! roflmao The OT Football Challenge Champion.... is ME! AGAIN! banana roflmao Am I also an attention whore... of course I am... OT trained!

On a more serious note... I have been notified by the powers that be, that I have been selected to Texas Six Man Football Hall of Fame.. , to be inducted at halftime of next years all star game held in Wichlta Falls. Hopefully if I get my arm in shape, I can convince them to let me play in the game. roflmao
Posted By: UGLYSHCTICK

Re: Who could throw a football... - 08/22/22 08:50 PM

I have sausage fingers.

also we had those 1960/70 fat footballs. we slung those.
Posted By: Rayzor

Re: Who could throw a football... - 08/23/22 01:18 AM

Could throw a pro football a mile. Not so much anymore.
Posted By: JIM SR.

Re: Who could throw a football... - 08/23/22 01:37 AM

nerf football was my game,.. cheers
© 2024 Texas Fishing Forum