Texas Fishing Forum

State inspection boondoggle this morning

Posted By: Stump jumper

State inspection boondoggle this morning - 08/15/22 03:39 PM

Mine is due this month. I always try to get to the place before 8. Checked lights and wipers before I left. Noticed I needed a new wiper on passenger side. OK, WalMart is a block from the place I use. Replace the wiper and head to the inspection place. There are 3 vehicles in front of me. Almost blew it off but decided to wait. After 15 minutes the line moves and dude walks up to the truck. He says they don't have any one to do it and it will be at least a month before they do. I started to tell him it that is the case then quit sending postcards. So I head back to WalMart to get some other stuff and I remember another place. It is near Rockwall high school and traffic sucks. I pull in there and their machine is not working. Now I have to fight the high school traffic to get out of there. The state just needs to do away with inspections.
Posted By: Bigbob_FTW

Re: State inspection boondoggle this morning - 08/15/22 03:48 PM

it's silly to still require inspections.
Posted By: hopalong

Re: State inspection boondoggle this morning - 08/15/22 03:59 PM

I have a guy in bonham that can have ya in and out in 5 mins.

right across the street is one of the best burger places I have ever eaten at.

win/win! grin
Posted By: outdoor-addict

Re: State inspection boondoggle this morning - 08/15/22 04:00 PM

They should be done at insurance offices, might help with minimum coverage enforcement.
Posted By: ralph

Re: State inspection boondoggle this morning - 08/15/22 04:03 PM

The tire place I use has now started requiring reservations for vehicle inspections. The owner says he doesn't have enough employees to stop in the middle of putting on a set of tires or doing rotation/balance or front end alignment to have someone inspect a car for $7.00.

Re: State inspection boondoggle this morning - 08/15/22 04:34 PM

Originally Posted by hopalong

win/win! grin

if you live in the metroplex you have to get inspection in the metroplex.
Posted By: Beak47

Re: State inspection boondoggle this morning - 08/15/22 04:49 PM

My 3 vehicles all come 3 months in a row. Kwik Lube in Brownwood is quick if no oil change is needed-and since no emission test!
Posted By: donothin

Re: State inspection boondoggle this morning - 08/15/22 04:58 PM

Inspections need to go away. Pretty much useless. If the state needs the revenue, just add it to the registration but do not require the ridiculous wait to get a meaningless inspection.
Posted By: bradnitro175

Re: State inspection boondoggle this morning - 08/15/22 05:46 PM

Originally Posted by Bigbob_FTW
Originally Posted by hopalong

win/win! grin

if you live in the metroplex you have to get inspection in the metroplex.

You joking right.i take mine to the bodega in Dallas,in and out grin
Posted By: bloo_rainger

Re: State inspection boondoggle this morning - 08/15/22 06:05 PM

have y'all not heard were going to die in eight years if we don't get our vehicles inspected?

it's all about global warming...........
Posted By: OTFF

Re: State inspection boondoggle this morning - 08/15/22 06:13 PM

I hear ya. It’s even a beating here in Smith County. On son’s truck he did not get it inspected. I went on line and registered it. They sent me an email telling me it needed to be inspected. About a week later the tag came in the mail. No inspection.

You have to love the efficiency and thoroughness of “gubberment” at work.
Posted By: Keystone

Re: State inspection boondoggle this morning - 08/15/22 06:19 PM

Henderson county no emissions test,pull up honk horn,ck blinkers and lights, Done $8
Posted By: leethefishking

Re: State inspection boondoggle this morning - 08/15/22 06:42 PM

Inspection is about to cost my sister $5500 in Austin. Can’t pass emissions test in her jeep unless she replaces her catalytic converter.
Posted By: Douglas J

Re: State inspection boondoggle this morning - 08/15/22 06:44 PM

Go to Shields up close to the square
Posted By: MarcM64

Re: State inspection boondoggle this morning - 08/15/22 10:18 PM

Originally Posted by Keystone
Henderson county no emissions test,pull up honk horn,ck blinkers and lights, Done $8

State Inspection in a non emissions county is $7... I know its just a dollar, but someone is charging extra!
Posted By: UGLYSHCTICK

Re: State inspection boondoggle this morning - 08/15/22 10:27 PM

off but on the subject.

Last time i took my Jeep in for inspection, the service writer had to get an older guy to drive it.... I guess he didn't know what the extra pedal was for.
Posted By: Duke 22

Re: State inspection boondoggle this morning - 08/15/22 10:27 PM

Originally Posted by Stump jumper
Mine is due this month. I always try to get to the place before 8. Checked lights and wipers before I left. Noticed I needed a new wiper on passenger side. OK, WalMart is a block from the place I use. Replace the wiper and head to the inspection place. There are 3 vehicles in front of me. Almost blew it off but decided to wait. After 15 minutes the line moves and dude walks up to the truck. He says they don't have any one to do it and it will be at least a month before they do. I started to tell him it that is the case then quit sending postcards. So I head back to WalMart to get some other stuff and I remember another place. It is near Rockwall high school and traffic sucks. I pull in there and their machine is not working. Now I have to fight the high school traffic to get out of there. The state just needs to do away with inspections.

Stupid question I'm sure, but does Wal-Mart not do them?

Re: State inspection boondoggle this morning - 08/15/22 11:43 PM

Originally Posted by Duke 22

Stupid question I'm sure, but does Wal-Mart not do them?

They do not.

Re: State inspection boondoggle this morning - 08/16/22 12:58 AM

Originally Posted by UGLYSHCTICK
off but on the subject.

Last time i took my Jeep in for inspection, the service writer had to get an older guy to drive it.... I guess he didn't know what the extra pedal was for.

Last 2 times I got mine inspected I never got out of my truck. I think it was a Covid thing. I have lived in Rockwall for 23 years and the first 20 the same guy was doing them at Vavoline. I called him the little round man. He was as big around at the waist as he was tall. I googled inspections and found a place closer to the house that specializes in inspections. It is off 66 next to Rockwall Deer Processors so real convenient.
Posted By: MV

Re: State inspection boondoggle this morning - 08/16/22 01:58 AM

3549 & 66 near the deer processing
Posted By: grandbassslayer

Re: State inspection boondoggle this morning - 08/16/22 02:03 AM

Oklahoma did away with them years ago, vehicles are in no worse shape because of it
Posted By: Douglas J

Re: State inspection boondoggle this morning - 08/16/22 02:07 AM

off but on the subject.

Last 2 times I got mine inspected I never got out of my truck. I think it was a Covid thing. I have lived in Rockwall for 23 years and the first 20 the same guy was doing them at Vavoline. I called him the little round man. He was as big around at the waist as he was tall. I googled inspections and found a place closer to the house that specializes in inspections. It is off 66 next to Rockwall Deer Processors so real convenient.

Hit up Shields near the square
Posted By: RedRanger

Re: State inspection boondoggle this morning - 08/16/22 10:56 AM

Originally Posted by leethefishking
Inspection is about to cost my sister $5500 in Austin. Can’t pass emissions test in her jeep unless she replaces her catalytic converter.

She needs to go where the illegal aliens go and pay a little extra to get it to pass

I would think Austin area would have plenty of those shops near 183 highway area
Posted By: TreeBass

Re: State inspection boondoggle this morning - 08/16/22 11:17 AM

off but on the subject.

Same thing here in the Centex, two vehicles this month, (work and the boys), never got out, lights, blinkers, and brakes. Paid and was on my way in less than 10 mins. Waste of time

Re: State inspection boondoggle this morning - 08/16/22 11:18 AM

Originally Posted by RedRanger
Originally Posted by leethefishking

She needs to go where the illegal aliens go and pay a little extra to get it to pass

I would think Austin area would have plenty of those shops near 183 highway area

At one time knew a guy that would sell me a sticker. Not an option these days with inspections entered in the computer.

Re: State inspection boondoggle this morning - 08/16/22 11:20 AM

Originally Posted by TreeBass
off but on the subject.

Same thing here in the Centex, two vehicles this month, (work and the boys), never got out, lights, blinkers, and brakes. Paid and was on my way in less than 10 mins. Waste of time

They did not do a brake test. I guess they figured if I could stop when I pulled in the bay then brakes were good.
Posted By: Dan90210 ☮

Re: State inspection boondoggle this morning - 08/16/22 12:12 PM

I am trying to figure out where this boondoogle really sits in the pantheon of boondooglisms.

So you went two places and both were not able to complete the inspection? Is this really a high end boondoogle or is someone crying boondoogle?

I recent had to go to three different stores to find an item I was looking for. It was inconvenient yes... but I never considered it to be a boondoggle.
Posted By: Allison1

Re: State inspection boondoggle this morning - 08/16/22 12:25 PM

The car wash a mile away has a vehicle inspection station at the end.
I have never had to wait more than 20 minutes to get an inspection so I guess I am lucky.
Posted By: Uncle Zeek

Re: State inspection boondoggle this morning - 08/16/22 12:41 PM

Originally Posted by donothin
Inspections need to go away. Pretty much useless. If the state needs the revenue, just add it to the registration but do not require the ridiculous wait to get a meaningless inspection.

Heh. They DID add a big chunk of the inspection fee to registrations. That's why the inspection places only get the $7, which isn't enough to cover labor in my opinion.

I agree thatthese inspections are a waste of time and resources..
Posted By: Fishin' Nut

Re: State inspection boondoggle this morning - 08/16/22 12:57 PM

Alabama doesn't do inspections either. But it costs me $380 to register two vehicles this year.

Re: State inspection boondoggle this morning - 08/16/22 04:47 PM

Originally Posted by MV
3549 & 66 near the deer processing

I went this morning. Found my new go to inspection place. 20 minutes in and out with 2 people in front of me. I had a license plate bulb out but he said no problem. Not sure if they are required to pass or if one is good. Inspections is all they do.
© 2024 Texas Fishing Forum