Texas Fishing Forum

Palo Duro Canyon in mid November

Posted By: AstaSoftride

Palo Duro Canyon in mid November - 07/27/22 05:30 PM

Hey I was thinking about heading out to Palo Duro Canyon around mid November and staying in the state park. We have a 37’ diesel Motorhome.

How would it be driving into the park around that time of the year.

We have not yet been to that area.

Thanks.
Posted By: Dan90210 ☮

Re: Palo Duro Canyon in mid November - 07/27/22 06:08 PM

There are some very hair pin turns. Thats all I got. Its really nice. We were there not long ago. It was stupid hot but Nov should be nice.
Posted By: UGLYSHCTICK

Re: Palo Duro Canyon in mid November - 07/27/22 08:11 PM

on my bucket list.
one of the last things I have not done in Texas.
Posted By: bigrebar

Re: Palo Duro Canyon in mid November - 07/27/22 08:19 PM

It's been at least 6 or 8 years since I've been. Pitched a tent there one night on way to Colorado in October. Cool place, but it was dry. I had steaks to grill but open flames were not allowed, so we had burgers at the visitor center.

About all I got.
Posted By: Samsonsworld

Re: Palo Duro Canyon in mid November - 07/27/22 08:27 PM

The drive from top to bottom will not be fun. Doable, but not fun. I stayed at Canyon Rim RV near the enttrance...which wasn't too bad, just better like your neighbors.
Posted By: AstaSoftride

Re: Palo Duro Canyon in mid November - 07/27/22 08:35 PM

I’ve seen the videos of the drive down. I know it doesn’t convey the real steepness of the drive. The motorhome has a 400hp Cummins ISL with dual stage compression braking. We have a travel weight of around 28k #’s. But yes I am concerned.
Posted By: tx_basser

Re: Palo Duro Canyon in mid November - 07/27/22 08:54 PM

definitely some hair pin turns, but I would call the park and see if they feel you are too long. I remember seeing a few MH there but mostly TT/5'ers. Such a beautiful place, history, and the birthplace of the Red River.
Posted By: bigrebar

Re: Palo Duro Canyon in mid November - 07/27/22 09:02 PM

Looking at google maps, I can see the exact campsite I was in. I also see the Juniper RV park in the middle of the park, with several large units there. I think you'll be fine, I only remember 2 switchbacks.
Posted By: Delbert

Re: Palo Duro Canyon in mid November - 07/27/22 09:02 PM

We took a 33ft Motorhome you should have no issues with a 37 foot. Seen some long fifth wheels. It is steep with sharp corners as mentioned earlier.
Posted By: UGLYSHCTICK

Re: Palo Duro Canyon in mid November - 07/27/22 09:03 PM

anybody ever Jeep there?
Posted By: 603Country

Re: Palo Duro Canyon in mid November - 07/27/22 11:15 PM

We dragged our TT there last year. I had heard about the steep grade going in to the park. Yep, it was steep, but we made it Ok. I put the truck in manual and downshifted as we went down and wound up in 2nd gear.

If they are putting on the musical Texas, you really want to see that.
Posted By: Happykamper

Re: Palo Duro Canyon in mid November - 07/28/22 12:59 AM

We drove a 40 ft coach in there a few years ago, it was not a problem, just go slow.
Posted By: Okie Poke

Re: Palo Duro Canyon in mid November - 07/28/22 10:15 AM

I go to Amarillo prolly 6-8 times a year and I have never been to the canyon. I'm going this year. Looks like fun!
Posted By: el Rojo

Re: Palo Duro Canyon in mid November - 07/28/22 12:51 PM

It's a 10% grade.
Posted By: Potato

Re: Palo Duro Canyon in mid November - 07/28/22 03:14 PM

Our camping group will be heading there in November. Does anyone have experience with Dish or OTA reception for those who would want to watch football?
Posted By: Samsonsworld

Re: Palo Duro Canyon in mid November - 07/28/22 05:19 PM

Originally Posted by Potato
Our camping group will be heading there in November. Does anyone have experience with Dish or OTA reception for those who would want to watch football?

I don't know about that but no cell reception for verizon. Told me emergency calls only. Best thing ever if you're a working man.
© 2024 Texas Fishing Forum