Texas Fishing Forum

breaking news.

Posted By: lconn4

breaking news. - 07/17/22 09:18 PM

about me getting sick yesterday... I bought some chicken tenders from a quick stop place to snack on yesterday.. asked for 3 tenders.. lady gave me 5.. thought it weird at the time because usually when they do that its last of the day and they are just getting rid of it, this was right before lunch on Saturday. anyway I get sick about 7 hours later and had thrown up all that chicken.. only ate three of the five.. gave the other two to my favorite raccoon when I got home last night. Noticed this afternoon that it had thrown up that chicken in water bowl I keep for my cat. What are the chances it was the chicken and not the heat that did me in?
Posted By: Coach Hark

Re: breaking news. - 07/17/22 09:21 PM

Better chance gas station food did you in.
Posted By: DanDaBald

Re: breaking news. - 07/17/22 09:21 PM

voting 99.44% for the chicken . . . . it was bad somehow if a racoon coughed it up.
Posted By: Rescue Fire

Re: breaking news. - 07/17/22 09:34 PM

It usually takes 24 hours for food born illnesses to kick in.
Posted By: Sawhorse

Re: breaking news. - 07/17/22 09:38 PM

My new policy would be to take one of your raccoons on all road trips…definitely fishing trips, but all road trips really. After you buy a nice meal, feed some to the raccoon and see if the food stays down. If so, enjoy the meal. If not, repeat the process with a new dining establishment. thumb
Posted By: Tneel

Re: breaking news. - 07/17/22 09:39 PM

Originally Posted by Rescue Fire

Nope, I got a bad breakfast burrito at a gas station on the way to the lake. In a couple of hours I had flu like symptoms and a severe case of the mudbutt. That afternoon I hurled forever and was good as new an hour later.
Posted By: Dave-0

Re: breaking news. - 07/17/22 09:40 PM

Were you trying to Baby Bird that raccoon?
Posted By: MrRoachie

Re: breaking news. - 07/17/22 09:41 PM

Might have been the grease it was cooked in.
Posted By: Allison1

Re: breaking news. - 07/17/22 09:44 PM

Not food poisoning. At least not in my experience.

What are the odds of this happening?
I went to a Red Lobster just before seeing American Graffiti when it first came out. Just few hours later, driving home from the movie I got violently ill.
Fast forward 7 or so years and at a Red Lobster in Arlington. I and 7 in our family all got food poisoning again.
Same time frame, it took several hours before we became ill. Two went to the emergency room.
Posted By: kennerdude

Re: breaking news. - 07/17/22 09:53 PM

Ecoli, norovirus, salmonella, campylobacter, Hep-A, Lysteria. Pick one!!

Re: breaking news. - 07/17/22 09:54 PM

Originally Posted by Allison1

I went to a Red Lobster just before seeing American Graffiti when it first came out. Just few hours later, driving home from the movie I got violently ill.
Fast forward 7 or so years and at a Red Lobster in Arlington. I and 7 in our family all got food poisoning again.
Same time frame, it took several hours before we became ill. Two went to the emergency room.

I’m actually an advocate of FP (that’s what us advocates call food poisoning). A lot of people get lax (no pun intended) and mishandle food. A good case of FP and you’ll tighten up the protocols right smart.
Posted By: Jman

Re: breaking news. - 07/17/22 10:05 PM

Absolutely can manifest itself in less than 24 hrs and a lot of the systems can be confused with flu like systems.
Posted By: gregpaul

Re: breaking news. - 07/17/22 10:07 PM

Ptomaine
Posted By: TexDawg

Re: breaking news. - 07/17/22 10:24 PM

Should have gone with the sushi
Posted By: Monty Wright

Re: breaking news. - 07/17/22 10:25 PM

Must have been bad for the racoon to ralph it back up
Posted By: outfishdya

Re: breaking news. - 07/18/22 12:28 AM

I know I have had FP twice. Both times I puked up everything in my stomach and had headaches that felt like being beat with a hammer. No way I could have driven anywhere.
Posted By: lconn4

Re: breaking news. - 07/18/22 01:07 AM

https://www.healthline.com/health/food-nutrition/food-poisoning-duration#symptoms

it can happen fast... what I don't understand is why within an hour of upchucking, everything was back to normal? no cramps in fingers, no painful back spasms that wouldn't allow deep breath, bad ear like new, completely gone with no lingering effect before I got home on 2 hour drive, and felt great this morning. It was at least an hour before raccoon threw up because I was up until about one. They stay at the house until just before daylight so it could have been 4 or 5 hours later than when they were fed. I've never seen any raccoon throw up anything in 8 years of watching them almost every night.
Posted By: Flip Flop Fisher

Re: breaking news. - 07/18/22 01:12 AM

it was the chicken
Posted By: Douglas J

Re: breaking news. - 07/18/22 01:18 AM

Gas station food sh*ts will clean you out

get well soon
Posted By: gregpaul

Re: breaking news. - 07/18/22 03:10 AM

You have to be a brave soul to eat gas station food
Posted By: 1oldbassguy

Re: breaking news. - 07/18/22 03:28 AM

go buy some and eat them , if you get sick again you'll know
Posted By: The Searchers

Re: breaking news. - 07/18/22 03:37 AM

Chicken prolly got you but didn’t hurt that coon
He11 they eat live chicken, fish, roadkill, and trash.
I rekin a little two day old chicken hurt.
I won’t eat light bulb warm chicken at any gas station. But I’m not a coon

Re: breaking news. - 07/18/22 03:38 AM

Originally Posted by 1oldbassguy

A true scientist would insist on including the raccoon. Unless the raccoon gets some again too, I’m not sure the test results would be valid.
Posted By: SkeeterRonnie

Re: breaking news. - 07/18/22 04:15 AM

in about 5 hours after eating you'll know if it was bad... it comes back up and a few hours later the remainder comes streaming out the other end. Winners BBQ in Plano got me last week. dont know if it was the Que or the tator salad. But it came out pretty violently.
Posted By: RayBob

Re: breaking news. - 07/18/22 11:24 AM

Originally Posted by Tneel

Nope, I got a bad breakfast burrito at a gas station on the way to the lake. In a couple of hours I had flu like symptoms and a severe case of the mudbutt. That afternoon I hurled forever and was good as new an hour later.

Yeah, I took that trail also years ago after a visit to a KFC. Didn't take long ... prolly 3-4 hours.
Posted By: Bob Davis

Re: breaking news. - 07/18/22 11:28 AM

Originally Posted by 1oldbassguy

The scientific method. Sounds legit. thumb
Posted By: Bob Davis

Re: breaking news. - 07/18/22 11:32 AM

Originally Posted by SkeeterRonnie
in about 5 hours after eating you'll know if it was bad... it comes back up and a few hours later the remainder comes streaming out the other end. Winners BBQ in Plano got me last week. dont know if it was the Que or the tator salad. But it came out pretty violently.

That tater salad is the most likely suspect. It has to stay cold. The wife got some bad tater salad at the Cotton Patch in Rockwall a year ago. Never again will she eat there. Matter of fact, she will never order anything with Mayo on it.
Posted By: ReelSlow

Re: breaking news. - 07/18/22 12:08 PM

I ate dinner with my Boss on the Queen Mary and was throwing up out the passenger side window on the freeway before we got back to the hotel and was sick for 3 days.
Posted By: TPACK

Re: breaking news. - 07/18/22 12:16 PM

Me and my wife got food poisoning from Domino's pizza. She was terrible within an hour and it lasted for almost 2 days. I ate only 1 slice from her pizza, and it took me 6-7 hours before I got sick.
Posted By: WAWI

Re: breaking news. - 07/18/22 12:32 PM

Originally Posted by Allison1

It can generally be anything in the last 24 hrs. They have some new technology I believe that can narrow the cause down but typically unless it's a mass outbreak like a wedding where I large group gets it they aren't gonna point at a culprit.
Posted By: PondFish

Re: breaking news. - 07/18/22 12:46 PM

Back when I had to take Health Dept food server training, they said most food borne illnesses will start showing signs in 2-6 hours after eating.
It also matters whether it's viral or bacterial.
Posted By: MAK747

Re: breaking news. - 07/18/22 03:24 PM

Originally Posted by Bob Davis

That tater salad is the most likely suspect. It has to stay cold. The wife got some bad tater salad at the Cotton Patch in Rockwall a year ago. Never again will she eat there. Matter of fact, she will never order anything with Mayo on it.

Its typically not the mayo that makes you sick, but what its mixed with. In tater salad, it was probably the potatoes or eggs that were the culprits. Mayo is acidic, which tends to prevent bacterial growth.
Posted By: OkAce

Re: breaking news. - 07/18/22 03:29 PM

Originally Posted by MAK747
Originally Posted by Bob Davis

Its typically not the mayo that makes you sick, but what its mixed with. In tater salad, it was probably the potatoes or eggs that were the culprits. Mayo is acidic, which tends to prevent bacterial growth.

If you don't think mayo will make you sick then leave a some in your cooler without ice for a few days and eat some of it.
Posted By: rj74955

Re: breaking news. - 07/18/22 05:27 PM

I’m pretty sure it’s rabies.
© 2024 Texas Fishing Forum