Texas Fishing Forum

Hurricane HS recruit signs 9.5 mil deal

Posted By: jcarring99

Hurricane HS recruit signs 9.5 mil deal - 06/27/22 04:09 AM

Wow Miami QB recruit signs a 9.5 million deal and supposedly left millions on the table! How much was Arch Manjing worth then? I’m not sure how I feel about HS kids signing multi million dollar deals before they play a down of college ball. It may get out of hand a little. I’m not sure this is what they envisioned?

https://bleacherreport.com/articles...il-contract-with-miami-booster-john-ruiz
Posted By: Kicker16

Re: Hurricane HS recruit signs 9.5 mil deal - 06/27/22 04:25 AM

SMU needs to get the booster playbook from the 80's, they would dominate with in 2 yrs.

The NCAA screwed this NIL thing up.

Re: Hurricane HS recruit signs 9.5 mil deal - 06/27/22 10:49 AM

Originally Posted by Kicker16
SMU needs to get the booster playbook from the 80's, they would dominate with in 2 yrs.

SMU would kill it today with the money they had back then! I’m not sure the NCAA thought this through very well or the courts one. I could see this thing getting crazy if 9.5 million is the going price for a number 7 qb recruit in the nation. I mean Arch has to be worth significantly more than that. What does the NFL think about it? One the kids may make so much money in college that they retire or two the kids will take a pay cut to play in the NFL. I just can’t wrap my head around 9.5 million for a soon to be senior in high school.
Posted By: Monty Wright

Re: Hurricane HS recruit signs 9.5 mil deal - 06/27/22 11:02 AM

Originally Posted by jcarring99

SMU would kill it today with the money they had back then! I’m not sure the NCAA thought this through very well or the courts one. I could see this thing getting crazy if 9.5 million is the going price for a number 7 qb recruit in the nation. I mean Arch has to be worth significantly more than that. What does the NFL think about it? One the kids may make so much money in college that they retire or two the kids will take a pay cut to play in the NFL. I just can’t wrap my head around 9.5 million for a soon to be senior in high school.

I've heard Dickerson took a pay cut when he went from SMU to the NFL roflmao
Posted By: Rescue Fire

Re: Hurricane HS recruit signs 9.5 mil deal - 06/27/22 11:15 AM

In the 30 for 30, I think Dickerson said the Aggie guy came up with a briefcase with $250K in it and Dickerson laughed and said that wasn’t even close.

I’ve missed something on the HS and college kids getting paid. Where is all this money coming from and who is it going to? Is this rumor or real or what? Legal?

Anybody got the cliff’s notes version?

Re: Hurricane HS recruit signs 9.5 mil deal - 06/27/22 11:33 AM

Originally Posted by Rescue Fire
In the 30 for 30, I think Dickerson said the Aggie guy came up with a briefcase with $250K in it and Dickerson laughed and said that wasn’t even close.

I’ve missed something on the HS and college kids getting paid. Where is all this money coming from and who is it going to? Is this rumor or real or what? Legal?

According to bleacher report it’s a signed contract with a Miami booster! It is legal as of right now for NIL deals. Article said he left millions on the table because he wanted to go to Miami and didn’t take the highest deal. It didn’t say exactly how much he turned down

https://bleacherreport.com/articles...with-miami-booster-john-ruiz?share=other

Re: Hurricane HS recruit signs 9.5 mil deal - 06/27/22 11:39 AM

What is "NIL deals"?
Posted By: Patriot Guard Rider

Re: Hurricane HS recruit signs 9.5 mil deal - 06/27/22 11:42 AM

What is "NIL deals"?

Name, Image, Likeness

A kid can be paid for those things as his property. Google it for a complete explaination.

Re: Hurricane HS recruit signs 9.5 mil deal - 06/27/22 11:43 AM

What is "NIL deals"?

Name Image and Likeness deals. Marketing of themselves to who ever

Re: Hurricane HS recruit signs 9.5 mil deal - 06/27/22 11:58 AM

HAHAHA!!! You gotta be kiddin me! I had no idea. Johnny Football coulda been a billionaire if he'd woulda been able to capitalize on this in his day.

Re: Hurricane HS recruit signs 9.5 mil deal - 06/27/22 12:03 PM

HAHAHA!!! You gotta be kiddin me! I had no idea. Johnny Football coulda been a billionaire if he'd woulda been able to capitalize on this in his day.

Ha! Can you imagine how many liquor companies would have been lined up to sign him?
Posted By: the skipper

Re: Hurricane HS recruit signs 9.5 mil deal - 06/27/22 12:25 PM

Who didn't see this coming?
Posted By: WAWI

Re: Hurricane HS recruit signs 9.5 mil deal - 06/27/22 12:30 PM

I have zero issue with NIL, if a kid can get paid now by all means get paid, the chance of him making it in the nfl are still close to zero so get some money. I have heard a few people say the kids aren't old enough and smart enough to handle money so they shouldn't be allowed to get it. That is stupid and in large part driven by jealous minds I think. I do think some restrictions need to be put on transfer portal, the window should be tightened up around national signing day maybe. In my opinion once a kid goes through spring ball workouts he should be locked in for the following season. Its gonna be interesting to see how many kids dont land where they thought they would on a depth chart in august and bail right before the season.

Re: Hurricane HS recruit signs 9.5 mil deal - 06/27/22 12:46 PM

Originally Posted by WAWI
I have zero issue with NIL, if a kid can get paid now by all means get paid, the chance of him making it in the nfl are still close to zero so get some money. I have heard a few people say the kids aren't old enough and smart enough to handle money so they shouldn't be allowed to get it. That is stupid and in large part driven by jealous minds I think. I do think some restrictions need to be put on transfer portal, the window should be tightened up around national signing day maybe. In my opinion once a kid goes through spring ball workouts he should be locked in for the following season. Its gonna be interesting to see how many kids dont land where they thought they would on a depth chart in august and bail right before the season.

I don’t have a problem with them getting paid per se. Just wondering about the big picture and the one up that’s going to happen. Hopefully the kids have someone smart on their side who will invest it wisely. I mean 9.5 million and he’s set for life if done correctly. Surely they will put a cap on it at some point. Most pro teams have caps. I know it’s different but still it seems like it may have some unintended consequences at some point
Posted By: butch sanders

Re: Hurricane HS recruit signs 9.5 mil deal - 06/27/22 01:02 PM

The end of good NCAA football

Re: Hurricane HS recruit signs 9.5 mil deal - 06/27/22 01:07 PM

Originally Posted by butch sanders
The end of good NCAA football

It’s going to be hard for schools like TCU. Texas got one from TCU yesterday. I’m pretty sure Texas threw more money at him. Although I’m a Texas fan I’m not sure how proud you can really be about out spending others for talent. The best team money can buy just doesn’t sound good to me. Maybe I’m just naive or too old school. I mean it’s not like it hasn’t been going on for years. It’s just legal now
Posted By: RayBob

Re: Hurricane HS recruit signs 9.5 mil deal - 06/27/22 01:10 PM

capitalism !

Re: Hurricane HS recruit signs 9.5 mil deal - 06/27/22 01:50 PM

I don’t have a problem with them getting paid per se. Just wondering about the big picture and the one up that’s going to happen. Hopefully the kids have someone smart on their side who will invest it wisely. I mean 9.5 million and he’s set for life if done correctly. Surely they will put a cap on it at some point. Most pro teams have caps. I know it’s different but still it seems like it may have some unintended consequences at some point

I theory this isnt paid by the teams or colleges, NIL would basically be like shoe deals for NBA, now the line is pretty blurry so hard to say. Its changed the game for sure. There will be kids who handle it right and kids who handle it wrong. Hell there are plenty of broke nfl guys, waiting a few more years does not seem to matter much.
Posted By: Ghost4BH

Re: Hurricane HS recruit signs 9.5 mil deal - 06/27/22 01:53 PM

I say if you’re getting an NIL deal over a certain amount then you need to pay you’re own tuition. Leave the scholarships for the ones who can’t afford school.
Posted By: Monty Wright

Re: Hurricane HS recruit signs 9.5 mil deal - 06/27/22 01:58 PM

On the topic of $ in college, the Twins current pitching coach Wes Johnson has been hired by LSU. He will reportedly get about a $300k pay raise, going from $350k to $750k at LSU.
Posted By: Hard Rain

Re: Hurricane HS recruit signs 9.5 mil deal - 06/27/22 02:02 PM

Originally Posted by Ghost4BH
I say if you’re getting an NIL deal over a certain amount then you need to pay you’re own tuition. Leave the scholarships for the ones who can’t afford school.

+1

Re: Hurricane HS recruit signs 9.5 mil deal - 06/27/22 02:04 PM

I could easily see that, probably already starting. Isnt there a limit on scholarships? They can sign more kids, bake the cake where the biggest of deals are paying for their way that frees up more scholarships to have a bigger pool of players
Posted By: TexDawg

Re: Hurricane HS recruit signs 9.5 mil deal - 06/27/22 02:05 PM

Originally Posted by Hard Rain

+1

Agree
Posted By: TexDawg

Re: Hurricane HS recruit signs 9.5 mil deal - 06/27/22 02:06 PM

And if your QB gets millions and you are an offensive lineman getting nada, here come the “lookout” blocks

Re: Hurricane HS recruit signs 9.5 mil deal - 06/27/22 02:08 PM

I think 2 things are for sure, 1. The schools that have money and learn to use it will dominate. 2. Coaches are gonna get an even shorter leash, when the big money boosters that drive the bus feel they have bought the players the coach wants and needs and nothing changes or the outcome isnt what was hoped for some coaches are gonna get fired quickly. I think it's more win now then ever before

Re: Hurricane HS recruit signs 9.5 mil deal - 06/27/22 03:45 PM

Originally Posted by TexDawg
And if your QB gets millions and you are an offensive lineman getting nada, here come the “lookout” blocks

Texas linemen get 50k a year. I bet that goes up now that they have Ewers and Manning

Re: Hurricane HS recruit signs 9.5 mil deal - 06/27/22 03:48 PM

I think 2 things are for sure, 1. The schools that have money and learn to use it will dominate. 2. Coaches are gonna get an even shorter leash, when the big money boosters that drive the bus feel they have bought the players the coach wants and needs and nothing changes or the outcome isnt what was hoped for some coaches are gonna get fired quickly. I think it's more win now then ever before

I’m sure Fisher would for that description now after the ‘22 class he got. Aggies have figured it out obviously on how to spend money. Saban was crying about it lol

Re: Hurricane HS recruit signs 9.5 mil deal - 06/27/22 03:56 PM

I’m sure Fisher would for that description now after the ‘22 class he got. Aggies have figured it out obviously on how to spend money. Saban was crying about it lol

My beloved Aggies have a 1000 problem and money ain't one of them lol

Re: Hurricane HS recruit signs 9.5 mil deal - 06/27/22 03:58 PM

Texas linemen get 50k a year. I bet that goes up now that they have Ewers and Manning

While we are on that subject, what happens if Ewers absolutly balls out. Is manning prepared to sit, does it turn into a train wreck

Re: Hurricane HS recruit signs 9.5 mil deal - 06/27/22 04:01 PM

While we are on that subject, what happens if Ewers absolutly balls out. Is manning prepared to sit, does it turn into a train wreck

The only way it works is if Ewers leaves for the nfl in two years. Arch sits out one season and then gets it after that. If Ewers stays longer and is a baller like he can potentially be then you now damn well manning will be gone

Re: Hurricane HS recruit signs 9.5 mil deal - 06/27/22 04:03 PM

My beloved Aggies have a 1000 problem and money ain't one of them lol

Well the horns have 2000 problems and money certainly isn’t one of them either! Just being in Austin is problem 1
Posted By: Mark Perry

Re: Hurricane HS recruit signs 9.5 mil deal - 06/27/22 04:09 PM

Very fair point.
Posted By: 921 Phoenix

Re: Hurricane HS recruit signs 9.5 mil deal - 06/27/22 04:10 PM

This is not good from any perspective and it won’t end well for college sports

They will be holler in a few years so and so has a advantage because they have more money.

We will still be down to three or four teams every year with one or two being the winner more times than not
Posted By: ShinerInTx

Re: Hurricane HS recruit signs 9.5 mil deal - 06/27/22 04:12 PM

[Linked Image]

Re: Hurricane HS recruit signs 9.5 mil deal - 06/27/22 04:21 PM

100 percent agree, texas is about the richest of schools out there. Its gonna be amusing to see the money slinging, back room deals ex that go on in college football the next few years. I think the Ewers kid got a bad rap from alot of people. I think he may be real good and was disappointed my Aggies didnt try and get him. I also wonder about the disaster that texas boosters can be and how that will pan out throwing the Mannings into the mix. As to Jimbo, I think he lives or dies with this recruiting class, if in 2 years he hasnt won the SEC, tall order for sure, and have at least a playoff berth he will be gone. That will be 7 years I think and that's plenty of time. I fully expect another giant pile of money to go towards class of 23 and another top 3 recruiting class so he will have no excuses
Posted By: COFF

Re: Hurricane HS recruit signs 9.5 mil deal - 06/27/22 04:53 PM

Funny to me is the fact that this all started because of the EA Sports video games. They started making the game so realistic that it solidified the player's case for the NIL rule change. Little did they know the Pandora's Box that was going to open.

Re: Hurricane HS recruit signs 9.5 mil deal - 06/27/22 04:58 PM

Originally Posted by COFF
Funny to me is the fact that this all started because of the EA Sports video games. They started making the game so realistic that it solidified the player's case for the NIL rule change. Little did they know the Pandora's Box that was going to open.

Yup, the ncaa chose to stick their head in sand and pray the staus quo remained intact. They are being run over by a train at this point.

Re: Hurricane HS recruit signs 9.5 mil deal - 06/27/22 05:28 PM

At this point I think we’re seeing the beginning of the end for the NCAA or at least the NCAA’s governance over college football and basketball. One of the blue bloods,or a group of them, are going to tell the NCAA to get bent and will venture out on their own.

Re: Hurricane HS recruit signs 9.5 mil deal - 06/27/22 05:38 PM

At this point I think we’re seeing the beginning of the end for the NCAA or at least the NCAA’s governance over college football and basketball. One of the blue bloods,or a group of them, are going to tell the NCAA to get bent and will venture out on their own.

Yup, I see the at some point 4 super conferences tell the NCAA to pound sand , they dont need need the NCAA taking a cut off the top. The NCAA can govern swimming or something. The revenue generators will take control. Without the football and basketball money the ncaa would be broke in short order. In an adapt or die world the NCAA has chose to die

Re: Hurricane HS recruit signs 9.5 mil deal - 06/27/22 05:53 PM

NCAA will still be viable
for folks who prefer to watch
amateur athletics
pure sport

Re: Hurricane HS recruit signs 9.5 mil deal - 06/27/22 05:58 PM

amateur athletics
pure sport

Is that what you think you have been watching all these years lol
Posted By: ntgolfandfish

Re: Hurricane HS recruit signs 9.5 mil deal - 06/27/22 06:13 PM

I don’t have a problem with them getting paid per se.

i do have a problem with them getting paid. it's a team sport. whether it's a star QB, wide out, or running back, they have to have a team to perform and continue to showcase their supposed awesomeness. but as we all know, quite literally 99% of their teammates won't get squat. and yet, these super stars need their teammates to show their skills. so unless they pay off their teammates for performing, too, i think it's just a case of the rich getting richer. or better put, the will-get-rich-anyways-in-the-future getting richer. college athletes should get paid. i actually would love to see the entire squad on one of these teams with a super star strike until they get a piece of the action to which they will be contributing.

Re: Hurricane HS recruit signs 9.5 mil deal - 06/27/22 06:17 PM

Originally Posted by ntgolfandfish
I don’t have a problem with them getting paid per se.

i do have a problem with them getting paid. it's a team sport. whether it's a star QB, wide out, or running back, they have to have a team to perform and continue to showcase their supposed awesomeness. but as we all know, quite literally 99% of their teammates won't get squat. and yet, these super stars need their teammates to show their skills. so unless they pay off their teammates for performing, too, i think it's just a case of the rich getting richer. or better put, the will-get-rich-anyways-in-the-future getting richer. college athletes should get paid. i actually would love to see the entire squad on one of these teams with a super star strike until they get a piece of the action to which they will be contributing.

If it was coming directly from the school I could see a point here. NIL doesnt come from the school. Did Jordan cut Pippen in on his nike money?

Re: Hurricane HS recruit signs 9.5 mil deal - 06/27/22 06:37 PM

amateur athletics
pure sport

Is that what you think you have been watching all these years lol

yes
especially the small schools & conferences

the only thing the Bamas of the world are good for is to wager
like the NFL
Posted By: YEE_YEE

Re: Hurricane HS recruit signs 9.5 mil deal - 06/27/22 06:46 PM

The Saudis
Posted By: Diablosandwich

Re: Hurricane HS recruit signs 9.5 mil deal - 06/27/22 09:27 PM

The NCAA didn’t start this….It was started by a law passed in California….the NCAA has been behind the curve from the beginning.
Posted By: Kicker16

Re: Hurricane HS recruit signs 9.5 mil deal - 06/27/22 10:15 PM

Originally Posted by ShinerInTx
[Linked Image]

Those pics of Austin always give me the warm fuzzies
Posted By: Happykamper

Re: Hurricane HS recruit signs 9.5 mil deal - 06/28/22 01:32 AM

If Ewers balls out he will head for the NFL after two years, Manning will take over as a Sophomore, he can head to the NFL after two years as well. I really do not see a problem here but it will be interesting to watch it all play out.
Posted By: Coach Hark

Re: Hurricane HS recruit signs 9.5 mil deal - 06/28/22 04:01 AM

Welcome to 2021 RF. There’s a lot that’s happened in the last 2 years.
Posted By: Coach Hark

Re: Hurricane HS recruit signs 9.5 mil deal - 06/28/22 04:08 AM

Originally Posted by the skipper

Go back a couple of years and the very 1st post I said it’s the end of college football as we know it.
Posted By: Duke 22

Re: Hurricane HS recruit signs 9.5 mil deal - 06/28/22 04:12 AM

100 percent agree, texas is about the richest of schools out there. Its gonna be amusing to see the money slinging, back room deals ex that go on in college football the next few years. I think the Ewers kid got a bad rap from alot of people. I think he may be real good and was disappointed my Aggies didnt try and get him. I also wonder about the disaster that texas boosters can be and how that will pan out throwing the Mannings into the mix. As to Jimbo, I think he lives or dies with this recruiting class, if in 2 years he hasnt won the SEC, tall order for sure, and have at least a playoff berth he will be gone. That will be 7 years I think and that's plenty of time. I fully expect another giant pile of money to go towards class of 23 and another top 3 recruiting class so he will have no excuses

Jimbo better get on the ball, Ohio State, the catholic school, and Texas are getting commitments from 4 and 5 stars like gangbusters.
https://n.rivals.com/team_rankings/2023/all-teams/football

Re: Hurricane HS recruit signs 9.5 mil deal - 06/28/22 12:51 PM

I’ve read a couple of articles where the Mannings have addressed this. They have stated they have no problem with Arch sitting his fresh year. Basically they want him to learn and grow and not be thrown into the fire too soon. It sounds like the entire family is involved, not just his dad Cooper. If that’s truly the case, Ewers will be gone before Manning is ready to take over.

Re: Hurricane HS recruit signs 9.5 mil deal - 06/28/22 01:05 PM

The entire Manning family should fit in nicely with the sip booster, till they dont roflmao

Re: Hurricane HS recruit signs 9.5 mil deal - 06/28/22 01:06 PM

And I want to go on the official record that I'm an Ewers fan this year. I want him to do great things. Re write record book type things

Re: Hurricane HS recruit signs 9.5 mil deal - 06/28/22 01:25 PM

And I want to go on the official record that I'm an Ewers fan this year. I want him to do great things. Re write record book type things

I’m not sold at this point on him. We’ll see though.
Posted By: bassfishinglawyer

Re: Hurricane HS recruit signs 9.5 mil deal - 06/28/22 02:07 PM

Originally Posted by the skipper

The NCAA apparently - pretty much everyone else who has a clue saw it
Posted By: Douglas J

Re: Hurricane HS recruit signs 9.5 mil deal - 06/28/22 03:51 PM

Our LSU tickets are next to couple of boosters who are in the group that organized the NIT at LSU, there is no shortage of money to pay these kids.

For years the NCAA and schools have made bank on the backs of the athletes, it's good to see the kids getting a piece.

My only issue is publicizing the numbers, they should be kept 100% private. Making them public knowledge will ruin the NIT program. If everyone else knows what so and so made or is making then the next set of boosters will stick their chest out and try to "out do" everyone else. There is so much money to be paid and it's a good thing for these kids, just keep it tame.

Re: Hurricane HS recruit signs 9.5 mil deal - 06/28/22 04:43 PM

Originally Posted by Douglas J
Our LSU tickets are next to couple of boosters who are in the group that organized the NIT at LSU, there is no shortage of money to pay these kids.

For years the NCAA and schools have made bank on the backs of the athletes, it's good to see the kids getting a piece.

My only issue is publicizing the numbers, they should be kept 100% private. Making them public knowledge will ruin the NIT program. If everyone else knows what so and so made or is making then the next set of boosters will stick their chest out and try to "out do" everyone else. There is so much money to be paid and it's a good thing for these kids, just keep it tame.

I agree 100 percent, for those that think it will ruin college football I think it will make it vastly more interesting. You may even see kids play their senior year in some cases. I think it opens the doors to more schools being competitive and it will keep some coaches feet to the fire. Will some kid pull up to practice in a lambo? Sure but then if I was 18 and just signed a multi million deal I might buy a lambo too.
Posted By: COFF

Re: Hurricane HS recruit signs 9.5 mil deal - 06/28/22 04:55 PM

Even more interesting than the effects on college play, I am curious to see how this will affect the NFL.

Most college players who believe they have a chance to go pro jump into the draft as soon as they are eligible, despite the reality that the average NFL career is less than 3 years.

So if NIL earnings are going to be higher than a typical rookie NFL contract, why would anyone even bother trying to go pro?

Re: Hurricane HS recruit signs 9.5 mil deal - 06/28/22 06:53 PM

Originally Posted by Douglas J

I agree 100 percent, for those that think it will ruin college football I think it will make it vastly more interesting. You may even see kids play their senior year in some cases. I think it opens the doors to more schools being competitive and it will keep some coaches feet to the fire. Will some kid pull up to practice in a lambo? Sure but then if I was 18 and just signed a multi million deal I might buy a lambo too.

I think it will keep some Sr’s around too. The whole idea of skipping the Sr year was to get paid and avoid injury before the NFL. NIL can cover that now.
Posted By: Happykamper

Re: Hurricane HS recruit signs 9.5 mil deal - 06/28/22 11:14 PM

I kinda think it will cause some problems, you will have some linemen and receivers pissed when their QB gets millions and they get squat, I think it is a bad deal all the way around.
© 2024 Texas Fishing Forum