Texas Fishing Forum

I hate a thief

Posted By: Happykamper

I hate a thief - 06/24/22 04:19 PM

I had a very high dollar rod and real stolen out of my boat Saturday, it was a Dobyn's Xtasy with a Shimano reel, it could have only happened in two places, we were at the weigh in at Amon Carter on the new side of the lake, the only people that I saw around were the couples who were fishing the tourney, no way one of them would have taken it, boat was parked right between two other couples boat, I did stop at a convenience store off 287 in Sunset, ran in and grabbed a drink and was back out in less than 2-3 minutes, truck was parked out front of store away from the gas pumps, what is weird is I had 6 rods strapped to the deck, the strap was put back in place, hell if I were going to steal rods I would have grabbed all of them on that side and a damn sure would not have taken the time to put the strap back, 900 bucks down the drain. mad
Posted By: RayBob

Re: I hate a thief - 06/24/22 04:21 PM

Originally Posted by Happykamper
I had a very high dollar rod and real stolen out of my boat Saturday, it was a Dobyn's Xtasy with a Shimano reel, it could have only happened in two places, we were at the weigh in at Amon Carter on the new side of the lake, the only people that I saw around were the couples who were fishing the tourney, no way one of them would have taken it, boat was parked right between two other couples boat, I did stop at a convenience store off 287 in Sunset, ran in and grabbed a drink and was back out in less than 2-3 minutes, truck was parked out front of store away from the gas pumps, what is weird is I had 6 rods strapped to the deck, the strap was put back in place, hell if I were going to steal rods I would have grabbed all of them on that side and a damn sure would not have taken the time to put the strap back, 900 bucks down the drain. mad

It is real ... they stole your reel?

Sorry Kamper. That sux !
Posted By: Bigbob_FTW

Re: I hate a thief - 06/24/22 04:26 PM

Pinche thief!
Posted By: Chris B

Re: I hate a thief - 06/24/22 04:31 PM

Any chance that rod didn't get strapped down with the rest? My partner caught one of mine, that got left above the strap, out of mid air running down the lake.
Posted By: bigrebar

Re: I hate a thief - 06/24/22 04:33 PM

Originally Posted by Chris B
Any chance that rod didn't get strapped down with the rest? My partner caught one of mine, that got left above the strap, out of mid air running down the lake.

Second this thought, only one rod/reel missing. A thief gonna grab a handful, wouldn't think a thief took the time to cherry pick.
Posted By: David Welcher

Re: I hate a thief - 06/24/22 04:54 PM

You probably had 12 rods on your deck that looked like you were playing that old game called pick up stix and while you were in your wack fest derby, you were trolling along and that combo snagged a tree as it was hanging out of the boat and it simply went over board.

I had this happen on Squaw one time with a GLoomis/Chronarch combo. I'm still sick over this and it happened at least 8 years ago.

Last year a friend and I were on PK and his rods were not strapped down, they still had his rod sleeves on them. As we approached Mach 1 all 5 of his rods flew up in the air off of the deck and I caught 4 of them, but one went into the water and sunk before I could turn around.

Funniest one was - a friend an I were on Squaw and he was throwing out into 35' at the back of the boat, I was chunking out the front. One of those 2 lb fish hammered his rod and jerked it out of his hands and into the lake and sunk. He was screaming for me to back up when it happened as he got to watch his Falcon Cara/Revo combo slowly fade away.
Posted By: WAWI

Re: I hate a thief - 06/24/22 05:04 PM

Bout 7 years ago I was sitting in line at squaw, had most of the rods I planned on using strapped on the deck. Went to the bathroom, came back, after launching I opened rod box to get out rods...... which there weren't many. At that point I remembered I had already done that. Just takes a second

Re: I hate a thief - 06/24/22 06:16 PM

It did not fly out of boat while I was driving, never went over 30-40 mph and it was dead calm, now I suppose it is possible it was not strapped and flew out going down the hiway but that just does not seem logical either. I did call the convenience store to see if they had outside cameras, they do and the manager said she would have the owner look at the video to see if someone grabbed it while I was there, I told her I knew the odds of catching the person was almost zero, I just want some closure, it is driving me crazy.
Posted By: J.P. Greeson

Re: I hate a thief - 06/24/22 06:27 PM

I don't think a thief would have put the strap back on your rods. I'm betting you just missed it and it flew off driving down the highway.
Posted By: Monty Wright

Re: I hate a thief - 06/24/22 06:41 PM

realmad
Posted By: Trickster

Re: I hate a thief - 06/24/22 06:50 PM

That sucks
Posted By: LoneStarSon

Re: I hate a thief - 06/24/22 07:13 PM

Originally Posted by J.P. Greeson
I don't think a thief would have put the strap back on your rods. I'm betting you just missed it and it flew off driving down the highway.

Yeah, I'm with JP. It's more logical. I have had things fly out of the ski boat when we were driving and thankfully I was able to recover them. I thought they were stowed, but sometimes you just miss something...or sometimes you just forget to close the windshield on a ski boat and the freaking wind catches something it otherwise wouldn't and whoooooooooooosh it's gone!

Plus, depending on your auto insurance, you may have something on your policy that covers it. I used to with MetLife, but unfortunately, State Farm did not offer it when I signed up (or if they did it was not easily found online).
Posted By: Brandon Adamcik

Re: I hate a thief - 06/24/22 07:16 PM

Thieves are not very conscientious. Doubtful they strapped the others in to keep you from losing them too.
Posted By: Okie Poke

Re: I hate a thief - 06/24/22 07:27 PM

I believe that they would have taken all of the rods and reels if they had time to take one.
Posted By: Hookem

Re: I hate a thief - 06/24/22 07:31 PM

Courteous thievery.
Posted By: PondFish

Re: I hate a thief - 06/24/22 07:54 PM

Maybe it was someone that knew what the rig was and thought 'if I just take the one and strap them back down no one will notice until they get home, I can save myself $900.00'
Posted By: SteezMacQueen

Re: I hate a thief - 06/24/22 09:11 PM

Originally Posted by PondFish
Maybe it was someone that knew what the rig was and thought 'if I just take the one and strap them back down no one will notice until they get home, I can save myself $900.00'

This.
Posted By: uncle_bagster

Re: I hate a thief - 06/24/22 09:19 PM

If that's the case, I'd bet it happened at the weigh-in.
Posted By: SteezMacQueen

Re: I hate a thief - 06/24/22 09:38 PM

Originally Posted by uncle_bagster

If that's the case, I'd bet it happened at the weigh-in.

Yep. Just because you might now some of them doesn’t make em honest.
Posted By: R83steve

Re: I hate a thief - 06/24/22 10:07 PM

That stinks
Posted By: Trebor Neil

Re: I hate a thief - 06/24/22 11:33 PM

Dont you have insurance ?
Posted By: Stump jumper

Re: I hate a thief - 06/25/22 12:50 AM

Most thieves are idiots but this one sounds like he knew what he was doing. I had a little floor jack, a small air compressor and a pair of sunglasses stolen out of my truck. The air compressor is worthless without the special power cord and the sunglasses were cheap and scratched. They left behind a jar with a hundred quarters, 2 knives, and a 30' nylon tow strap. The combined value was at least as much as what they took.

Re: I hate a thief - 06/26/22 12:10 AM

Originally Posted by Trebor Neil
Dont you have insurance ?

Yes but I think the deductible is fairly high, its not really the money that bothers me, its the where the hell did my rod go that bothers me.
Posted By: TexDawg

Re: I hate a thief - 06/26/22 01:32 AM

I too hate a lowdown scummy thief, sorry to hear happy

Re: I hate a thief - 06/26/22 02:27 PM

Is there any way we could start a go fund account so I could get enough money to replace it ? I kid lol. I doubt I spend near that much to replace it, the rod was a gift to me, so what is the perfect shakey head set up ? I am in the market for one.
Posted By: Douglas J

Re: I hate a thief - 06/26/22 02:34 PM

That sucks, been there and it's a crappy feeling to have anything stolen.
Posted By: flashman252

Re: I hate a thief - 06/26/22 07:41 PM

Is this a thing? Driving to the lake with rods on the deck? I always put mine back in rod locker. My drives to the lake are at least 90 miles, so I would never even chance it, but just wondering now how many just leave em on the deck.

Sorry to hear about this, but its an either or scenario here. Either you forgot to strap it down and it hit Linda's windshield behind you, Or a tournament angler said "Damn look at that setup, it's mine now" and took it to add to his/her collection. I don't think it was Crack head allison who walked by and knew that one was the money setup and took only that single rod to sell on ebay or BBC.
Posted By: Chris B

Re: I hate a thief - 06/26/22 08:18 PM

This is why I have a locker bar. It goes back on before I weigh fish. Looking for a spinning set up or baitcaster?
Posted By: uncle_bagster

Re: I hate a thief - 06/26/22 09:50 PM

You might get a list of people fishing the tournament. Check for their names Facebook or some-such and see if you can recognize the couples. This is a long-shot for sure, but you never know.
Posted By: Dubee

Re: I hate a thief - 06/26/22 10:17 PM

Originally Posted by flashman252
Is this a thing? Driving to the lake with rods on the deck? I always put mine back in rod locker. My drives to the lake are at least 90 miles, so I would never even chance it, but just wondering now how many just leave em on the deck.

Sorry to hear about this, but its an either or scenario here. Either you forgot to strap it down and it hit Linda's windshield behind you, Or a tournament angler said "Damn look at that setup, it's mine now" and took it to add to his/her collection. I don't think it was Crack head allison who walked by and knew that one was the money setup and took only that single rod to sell on ebay or BBC.

I usually always tow home with the rods on the deck. If they can ride on the deck going down the lake, why not the highway?

Re: I hate a thief - 06/27/22 12:20 AM

Originally Posted by Chris B
This is why I have a locker bar. It goes back on before I weigh fish. Looking for a spinning set up or baitcaster?

It was a baitcaster, hardly ever have rods on the deck going to the lake but sometimes i have them on the deck going home, it was hot, i was tired and wanted a beer lol
Posted By: flashman252

Re: I hate a thief - 06/27/22 12:51 AM

Originally Posted by Dubee
Originally Posted by flashman252

I usually always tow home with the rods on the deck. If they can ride on the deck going down the lake, why not the highway?

You have a really good point here my friend. Would have never even crossed my mind to do this.
Posted By: Duke 22

Re: I hate a thief - 06/27/22 01:01 AM

Originally Posted by Happykamper

Coming back from Dallas today ( which I wouldn't ever recommend going to EVER) I passed that Valero station in Sunset and this post came to mind, I was half tempted to exit off and look around for it, but it was too damn hot.
© 2024 Texas Fishing Forum