Texas Fishing Forum

micro management

Posted By: TexasMo

micro management - 06/23/22 04:01 PM

I get very frustrated with the micromanagement...

I do not like it when people question everything.. to get answers... so they can go look good to other execs..

Why not invite us to the meeting so we can build relationships with others... and present our information ourselves?

Stop derailing progress because you do not understand something... after all, that is what you pay us for...
UGH...

I get there is some need... but damn.. this constantly slows down progress and causes too many distractions... causing to many people to leave too

Rant over..

Mo
Posted By: Dan90210 ☮

Re: micro management - 06/23/22 04:06 PM

Were you working when you posted this? Maybe you should put your head down and get back to the task at hand. And make sure you take your lunch break on time. And you best not be taking any unscheduled "restroom" breaks pal. Also please note that the dress code calls for collared shirts. This is not casual Friday.

You can do your job anyway you want as long as its the way I told you to do it. You get paid all the same dont you?

I got my eyes on you TexasMo.
Posted By: T Bird

Re: micro management - 06/23/22 04:07 PM

Depending on your line of work, some managers need more detail than others. Production Managers would be an example.
Posted By: Texan Til I Die

Re: micro management - 06/23/22 04:08 PM

I've only had one boss that was a micromanager type and it was miserable. And to make things even worse, he was in a completely different city. Nothing but interruptions all day long. Fortunately it only lasted a few months before a company reorg moved me into a different district.
Posted By: TexasMo

Re: micro management - 06/23/22 04:32 PM

Originally Posted by Dan90210 ☮
Were you working when you posted this? Maybe you should put your head down and get back to the task at hand. And make sure you take your lunch break on time. And you best not be taking any unscheduled "restroom" breaks pal. Also please note that the dress code calls for collared shirts. This is not casual Friday.

You can do your job anyway you want as long as its the way I told you to do it. You get paid all the same dont you?

I got my eyes on you TexasMo.

on my lunch break sir.. ;-)
Posted By: Sawhorse

Re: micro management - 06/23/22 04:41 PM

Originally Posted by TexasMo

I do not like it when people question everything.. to get answers... so they can go look good to other execs..

Why not invite us to the meeting so we can build relationships with others... and present our information ourselves?

Stop derailing progress because you do not understand something... after all, that is what you pay us for...
UGH...

I get there is some need... but damn.. this constantly slows down progress and causes too many distractions... causing to many people to leave too

Rant over..

Mo

I’ve been micro-managed before…^that doesn’t sound like micro-management IMO.
Posted By: Holzer

Re: micro management - 06/23/22 04:45 PM

I don't like the way you presented this.
Can you do it again and rephrase it in another way so that I can revise it back to the way you originally wrote it.
Then, I can present it to the executive team as if I did it my self.
Posted By: Okie Poke

Re: micro management - 06/23/22 04:47 PM

My first job outta college was micro-manage mania for me. I wasted 12 years of my working career there. Now, it's working on 23 years with zero MM, and I find myself working much harder than I ever did at the first job. I worked harder in trying to cut out early and dodge my boss than I ever did doing the actual job. Let freedom ring!

Re: micro management - 06/23/22 04:48 PM

Originally Posted by Holzer
I don't like the way you presented this.
Can you do it again and rephrase it in another way so that I can revise it back to the way you originally wrote it.
Then, I can present it to the executive team as if I did it my self.

You are hired! Lets circle back to discuss salary next week. Ping me Monday when you are free.
Posted By: TexDawg

Re: micro management - 06/23/22 05:31 PM

I was extremely lucky with bosses, my last one I rarely heard from, the one before was and still is a good buddy. If he ever got the least bit micro I told him and he acquiesced. I now have a nagging micro-manager at home, I just ignore her
Posted By: Douglas J

Re: micro management - 06/23/22 05:37 PM

Break free from "The Man"

It will be your best decision ever
Posted By: Samsonsworld

Re: micro management - 06/23/22 06:30 PM

There is a reason they call them "executive meetings".

Anly micro-manager I've had was really short.
Posted By: SteezMacQueen

Re: micro management - 06/23/22 06:34 PM

UGH...

Rant over..

Mo

When they question me at work, I make [censored] up. Then they look stupid for trying to look good. I do my job. Don’t even try to act like they could possibly understand any of it.
Posted By: ReelSlow

Re: micro management - 06/23/22 07:06 PM

I was Lead Engineer on a project at Bell Helicopter years ago and had to give a weekly presentation to Executive Management on status. My Director made me go into a conference with him the day before every status meeting and rehearse word for word exactly what I was going to say to each point. Drove me out of my mind. Every time I got up I forgot my lines and just spoke to the facts as I knew them backwards and forward. He would sit there and squirm and twitch and give me looks like he wanted to kill me. I never failed to answer any question with precision and I always knew my sheet but my Director was a control freak.
Posted By: flashman252

Re: micro management - 06/23/22 07:54 PM

No one likes micro management. I tell everyone that works below me, we all have a different style of how we manage our day and workload. As long as orders are completed timely and care is provided adequately and safely, I don't care how you do it. Also, I am a huge advocate of pushing those below me to fill in as a relief for my position. That starts about the 6 month mark usually with new hires. Most freak out when I approach them to do so but what it has done is it has created a culture that shows we are all on equal playing ground. I respect them as much as I hope they respect me. The only real difference is that they come to me when they get into a situation they are not comfortable with and they know I have managed situations like this before. Otherwise, this mentality really creates a sense of independence within the work place. I have also noticed a sense of comfort and trust and when they have new ideas, on how things can be done differently, they are not afraid to approach me with these ideas. To date, my department has had the best overall quality numbers throughout the hospital for just under 2 years now. Acknowledging that people work differently and not making them work all the same actually does go a long way.
Posted By: Jonah's View

Re: micro management - 06/23/22 08:12 PM

you can always tell when people get advanced beyond their skill level, they go full bore micro manage and nothing ever comes of the data they collect because nobody above them cares...fortunately they burn out quick or get "managed" out of the position because HR gets flooded with complaints... thats one of the good things about corporate life, as long as you can wait a little while things will change...
Posted By: Rescue Fire

Re: micro management - 06/23/22 09:40 PM

Originally Posted by SteezMacQueen

UGH...

Rant over..

Mo

When they question me at work, I make [censored] up. Then they look stupid for trying to look good. I do my job. Don’t even try to act like they could possibly understand any of it.

I just did that here in the OT and you said you enjoyed it!

Re: micro management - 06/23/22 09:44 PM

Originally Posted by Rescue Fire

UGH...

Rant over..

Mo

I just did that here in the OT and you said you enjoyed it!

I was truthful. I didn’t have [censored] else to do! roflmao
Posted By: Allison1

Re: micro management - 06/23/22 09:47 PM

I don't mind micromanagers as much as I hate people who don't do their job and keep griping about being micromanaged.

It was a common thing in my workplace. There was so little you had to do and you could get away with not trying.
I've always looked at doing things using the least energy to complete the same task. It made me more money in the private sector but actually hurt working for the govt. At least I knew the difference and chose to do the best as I saw fit.
Posted By: Rescue Fire

Re: micro management - 06/23/22 09:53 PM

Lets schedule a meeting so we can talk about the other meetings we've scheduled.
Posted By: Ted Dyer

Re: micro management - 06/23/22 09:55 PM

My experience is that adding more people to a meeting never makes it more efficient or shorter.
Posted By: ko bass attack 27

Re: micro management - 06/23/22 10:03 PM

I could handle a micro - manager better than a suck azz. Granted one was most usually a variation of the other.

Re: micro management - 06/23/22 11:27 PM

Originally Posted by Jonah's View
you can always tell when people get advanced beyond their skill level, they go full bore micro manage and nothing ever comes of the data they collect because nobody above them cares...fortunately they burn out quick or get "managed" out of the position because HR gets flooded with complaints... thats one of the good things about corporate life, as long as you can wait a little while things will change...

There is some truth in this. Not too far off from my experience. Which is fairly extensive.

Re: micro management - 06/23/22 11:31 PM

Originally Posted by Allison1
I don't mind micromanagers as much as I hate people who don't do their job and keep griping about being micromanaged.

Also much truth here. I have seen this many times over the years.

Sometimes I can turn them around. That is the ideal outcome and I put a full effort into trying to make that happen. When it works, its awesome.

If I fail I get rid of those people pretty quickly. I operate in facts, and in a professional way. HR and legal always have had my back. The documentation is always clear and bullet proof.
Posted By: Topwater2

Re: micro management - 06/23/22 11:32 PM

I retired and I'm now micro-managed by my wife. roflmao
Posted By: Jim Ford

Re: micro management - 06/24/22 12:44 AM

Wheh you’re being incessantly micromanaged, start incessantly microspoofing him / her / it / them. Once he / she / it / they figure it out the problem should stop……
Posted By: lconn4

Re: micro management - 06/24/22 02:23 AM

I thought this was about my fishing bud Dan Decible's video, Micro Management fish

https://vimeo.com/140585829
Posted By: ReelSlow

Re: micro management - 06/24/22 11:22 AM

Originally Posted by Topwater2
I retired and I'm now micro-managed by my wife. roflmao

She waited till you retired? You are a lucky man.

roflmao
Posted By: Bigbob_FTW

Re: micro management - 06/24/22 11:26 AM

My boss is total hands off. I like it.
Posted By: WAWI

Re: micro management - 06/24/22 12:09 PM

Typically boss types know who they need to micro manage and there is a reason for micro managing them........ they are unproductive half arses, they dont meet deadlines, they slop through things, they have no attention to detail and generally have no pride in their work.
Posted By: Flags

Re: micro management - 06/24/22 12:34 PM

When I was on active duty we used to say micro managers are made, not born. Somewhere someone screwed up and turned them into a micro manager. Dont be that someone

Re: micro management - 06/24/22 12:42 PM

Originally Posted by Flags
When I was on active duty we used to say micro managers are made, not born. Somewhere someone screwed up and turned them into a micro manager. Dont be that someone

Same in business, at some point a manager trusted a moron to do his job and got burned. Usually only takes once.

Re: micro management - 06/24/22 12:53 PM

Originally Posted by WAWI
Typically boss types know who they need to micro manage and there is a reason for micro managing them........ they are unproductive half arses, they dont meet deadlines, they slop through things, they have no attention to detail and generally have no pride in their work.

Fire them. Simple.
Posted By: patriot07

Re: micro management - 06/24/22 12:59 PM

Fire them. Simple.

That's a liability issue. And then how do you meet your quotas for how many bottom-rated employees you have to have? Easier to keep them and give them the bad ratings nobody else wants.

Re: micro management - 06/24/22 01:00 PM

Fire them. Simple.

The worst ones seem to be entry level managers born after 1985 or so. They tend to come up with about 50 ideas of changes they want to make. They will succeed in successful implementation of about 1 of these ideas, the rest dont get done. The one they succeed in implementing will then be forgotten in 3 months and everything will be the same as it was before.
Posted By: Mark Perry

Re: micro management - 06/24/22 01:03 PM

It's the people who think a company will shut down without them that I get a kick out of. If a guy is going around constantly telling everyone that he is the best employee at the place he usually is not.

Unless you own the company you are usually replaceable.
Posted By: patriot07

Re: micro management - 06/24/22 01:06 PM

Fire them. Simple.

The worst ones seem to be entry level managers born after 1985 or so. They tend to come up with about 50 ideas of changes they want to make. They will succeed in successful implementation of about 1 of these ideas, the rest dont get done. The one they succeed in implementing will then be forgotten in 3 months and everything will be the same as it was before.

I had a young entry level supervisor once, and this is literally exactly how it went. I couldn't have described it better. Are you sure you weren't in that group WAWI?

Re: micro management - 06/24/22 01:27 PM

Nope, but then my first couple bosses were already micromanager types with very little concern for feelings, you figured things out real quick with those 2 or you were called vulgar words, and probably fired. I tried to avoid being called an fing idiot then fired. It was my number 1 goal when I walked in the door every morning
Posted By: TXanalogkd

Re: micro management - 06/24/22 01:37 PM

I was never a micro manager nor liked working for them. In fact, prior to my retirement, I had the best team because they believed in me, and I believed in them. In my my 30 years in the military, the micro managers did not have a clue about the operations or who were recovered alcoholics. Basically, these people were miserable inside.
Posted By: John175☮

Re: micro management - 06/24/22 02:53 PM

I tell my team to go be awesome and let me know of anything that is preventing them from being awesome. Then I leave them alone to be awesome. I know I've done my job when they no longer need me.

Re: micro management - 06/24/22 04:13 PM

Originally Posted by John175☮
I tell my team to go be awesome and let me know of anything that is preventing them from being awesome. Then I leave them alone to be awesome. I know I've done my job when they no longer need me.

Trust but verify
Posted By: John175☮

Re: micro management - 06/24/22 05:19 PM

Originally Posted by John175☮

Trust but verify

Correct.
© 2024 Texas Fishing Forum